The 'Now that's what I call music' series

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am confused - what were on iTunes exactly?

I can't find the website where I saw it advertised. But apparently iTunes is the only outlet for them, but they are not there at the moment.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The USP about the early Now CDs is that they featured the proper single versions of songs. Mel & Kim's Showing Out for example I have only ever come across the single version on Now 8. All other compilations etc it's appeared on over the years are a pointless remix which is a musical mess that destroys the great, then-unique sound of the song (and which is what kept it in the charts for an unusually long time back then).
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't find the website where I saw it advertised. But apparently iTunes is the only outlet for them, but they are not there at the moment.
    We are definitely talking about the UK Now That's What I Call Music albums here from the 80s? There are also USA ones too.

Surely there would be something on the official now website if this was happening?
    http://www.nowmusic.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are definitely talking about the UK Now That's What I Call Music albums here from the 80s? There are also USA ones too.

Surely there would be something on the official now website if this was happening?
    http://www.nowmusic.com/

Yes I'm pretty sure it was the UK versions. I might have dreamed it.

All I know is that 1 - 14 are out there.
  • Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is my Now story. The first one I got was Now 50 for Christmas when I was 11. I bought Now 51 and Now 52 together when I first got into Now That's What I Call Music and then my cousin gave me Now 26, Now 32 and Now 34 which he had finished with but wouldn't give me Now 1 which he also had on Cassette as it was his Dad's. From then I've collected them all from Now 2 - 75 on either CD, Cassette or Vinyl except for Now 16 which I got on Video. When I first put it in my video player it gave me a big static shock maybe with the age of it. I do have Now 1 on CD which I got in 2008 when they brought it out again. From Now 76 onwards they have not been so good except I got Now 82 and Now Summer with Now Club Hits. Now though I've gone off Now music and got into more DJ mixing. The CD version of the 1st one is good to keep though. I wonder if anyone has Now 63 on cassette which was the last one to be released on that or Now 43, Now 44, Now 45, Now 46, Now 47 and Now 48 on mini disc which I'd really like to get those as I have a hi-fi with a mini disc player. I have never seen any of the 6 mini disc version Now albums that were on mini disc.
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Now 69 to Now 79 is more or less an uninterrupted set of brilliance, although the fact that it corresponds with my hedonistic late teens/early twenties perhaps helps. See also Now 42 to Now 48, my last two years at primary school and the start of secondary and you've got another personal glorious run for me.

I was underwhelmed by the newest one but it also hasn't escaped my attention that I'm slowly but surely getting older, so look out for me as a grumbling 30 year old at the end of the decade listening to the nonsense on Now That's What I Call Music 103.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember buying Now 27 on cassette in 1994 lol

It had a Blue cover
  • dale0693dale0693 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the oldest Now you have on your iTunes/iPhone/iPod/iPad mines Now 70
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    You can look up the track listing of any of these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Now_That's_What_I_Call_Music!_24_(UK_series)

that was the first one I got. you can then youtube the songs to bring back memories. ITs funny - I love Ulatravox - Vienna now but was too young to appreciate it then and can't remember it being on that album. me and my friend played oh carolina and young at heart on a loop for a while.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can look up the track listing of any of these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Now_That's_What_I_Call_Music!_24_(UK_series)

that was the first one I got. you can then youtube the songs to bring back memories. ITs funny - I love Ulatravox - Vienna now but was too young to appreciate it then and can't remember it being on that album. me and my friend played oh carolina and young at heart on a loop for a while.

It was a re-release, to promote the Midge Ure/Ultravox greatest hits compilation If I Was: The Very Best of Midge Ure & Ultravox.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Times like these i regret not being a horder.. Would have music thats actually worth money
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is people's favourite Now album?

Mine has to be Now 6. I love every song on it, also the order just seems right.

Now 6

Queen : "One Vision"
    Nik Kershaw : "When a Heart Beats"
    Feargal Sharkey : "A Good Heart"
    Eurythmics : "There Must Be an Angel (Playing with My Heart)"
    Simple Minds : "Alive and Kicking"
    Bryan Adams & Tina Turner : "It's Only Love"
    Gary Moore : "Empty Rooms"
    Marillion : "Lavender"
    Elton John : "Nikita"
    Kate Bush : "Running Up that Hill (A Deal With God)"
    Level 42 : "Something About You"
    Tina Turner : "We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome)"
    UB40 : "Don't Break My Heart"
    Phil Collins & Marilyn Martin : "Separate Lives"
    Cliff Richard : "She's So Beautiful"
    Arcadia : "Election Day"
    UB40 & Chrissie Hynde : "I Got You Babe"
    Fine Young Cannibals : "Blue"
    Midge Ure : "If I Was"
    Siouxsie and the Banshees : "Cities in Dust"
    Madness : "Uncle Sam"
    Lloyd Cole and the Commotions : "Lost Weekend"
    The Communards : "You Are My World"
    Paul Hardcastle : "Just For Money"
    Jan Hammer : "Miami Vice Theme"
    Maria Vidal : "Body Rock"
    Baltimora : "Tarzan Boy"
    Mai Tai : "Body And Soul"
    Cameo : "Single Life"
    Jaki Graham & David Grant : "Mated"
  • Simon_ThreadingSimon_Threading Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Does anyone still collect the old Now That's What I Call Music! volumes?

I recently bought a load at boot fairs and charity shops:

Now 45, 57, & 74 at a charity shop for a £1 each
    Now 39 and 50 for a £1 each at a boot fair
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    The first Now! album I got was Now 17 in 1990 although I was only 9 at the time, but I saw it Woolworths and after reading the track list I got my parents to buy it for me.

After that, I bought a lot compilation albums throughout the 90s. For some reason, Now 21 is the album I have most fond memories of. I was in my final year at primary school and just have lots of great memories from school/family stuff from early 1992. Now 21 pretty much captures those first 3-4 months perfectly.
  • Jeannie_WilsonJeannie_Wilson Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had about 5 of them on vinyl but chucked most of my vinyl's in a skip when moving house. I wish I hadn't now. :(
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First one I got was Now 42. I still have it, along with dozen or so others. I used to have more but don't know what happened to them.

Theres a shop in Livingston which sells them second hand, and depending on the era, they can be as cheap as 3 for £5.

EDIT: Or get them even cheaper of MusicMagpie.co.uk :)
    Forum Member
    I'm still an avid collector of the Now That's What I Call Music! series. Great places to find them are charity shops and boot fairs etc.
    Forum Member
    I bought Now 85 (2013) from a Demelza charity shop for a £1 today... Bargain
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I'm pretty sure it was the UK versions. I might have dreamed it.

All I know is that 1 - 14 are out there.
    The 1st one was re released to mark the Now 25th Anniversary in 2008 and it was the 1st time the album was released on CD. None of the other volumes were re released and are totally unavailable unless you can find them 2nd hand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 1st one was re released to mark the Now 25th Anniversary in 2008 and it was the 1st time the album was released on CD. None of the other volumes were re released and are totally unavailable unless you can find them 2nd hand.

It was a while ago since I posted that reply so not sure what I was replying to, but I was sure I saw them somewhere on the net, but then couldn't find the site anymore, so might have been a one off fake site.

Anyway I have Now 2 on double tape.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have quite a few on double cassette or CD but also have the entire 93 catalogue as digital downloads. Looking forward to the day we get Now 100 as I doubt many people back in 1983 would ever imagine it would still be around for this length of time
    Forum Member
    I struck gold yet again today when out in Maidstone charity shops:

Now 38, 41 and 57 all priced at £1 each in the Children's Trust in mint condition!
  • ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the original Now album and Now 4 on Vinyl.
    I've also got Now 6 on double cassette.
    Not sure if they're worth anything.
    Forum Member
    I bought these Now albums this week:

Now 23 (In mint condition with both discs) - £2.49 in British Heart Foundation (Maidstone, Kent)
    Now 49 - 50p in Demelza (Maidstone, Kent)
    Now 46 - 99p in Age UK (Gravesend, Kent)
    Now 52 & 72 - 49p each in Oxfam (Gravesend, Kent)
    Now Dance '91 - 49p in Oxfam (Gravesend, Kent)
    Forum Member
    Also got Now Dance 2001 for a £1 in RSPCA charity shop today :)