Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 - US Pace

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew there'd been a time jump, but I didn't realise that it had been two years.

Good to see Chalky again.

Eli has lost weight in prison.

How will Nucky deal with Rosetti? This must be the first time he's been challenged since he re-took control at the end of the last season.

Goldfish bowl man... The judge from Justified?
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Well i said at the end of episode 1 "Gyp Rosetti doe's not live long. ( if Nucky has anything to do with it )" .

Yes glad both Chalky and Eli have made a return.

Goldfish bowl man... Stephen Root... it;s funny but when ever i see him i'll always remember him as Milton Waddams in the film Office Space
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the new series getting good reviews over there in the states? Can't wait for Saturday night for it to return here in the UK :D
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    cliffy91 wrote: »
    Is the new series getting good reviews over there in the states? Can't wait for Saturday night for it to return here in the UK :D

Yes, the reviews in the US have been overwhelmingly positive.
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cliffy91 wrote: »

Dont know about the reviews but for me its been very watchable. It has a quality about it that very few TV shows can match.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant can't wait :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Right I have only seen episode one so skipped the posts that talked about episode 2. As for episode one I was a bit disappointed in the whole episode until Richard shot thingy (sorry I can't remember all of the names!). Trouble in paradise it seems too for Mr and Mrs Thompson.

My disappointment was probably compounded by the fact Jimmy was one of my favourite characters (the other being Richard) - I just can't see how the show can go on without him but I'm sure it will. There are lots of other good characters, I just need to find a new favourite!

I couldn't work out how long there was between this episode and the last season but I'm a bit sad they didn't deal with the fall out of Jimmy's death. I'm sure it will be explored in some way.

OK I really wish there was a UK paced thread because I've just clocked that the 3rd episode will be show in the US tonight so that means I'll always be ducking posts on this thread. Maybe I should make a UK thread?!
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss-Fitz wrote: »
    Right I have only seen episode one so skipped the posts that talked about episode 2. As for episode one I was a bit disappointed in the whole episode until Richard shot thingy (sorry I can't remember all of the names!). Trouble in paradise it seems too for Mr and Mrs Thompson.

My disappointment was probably compounded by the fact Jimmy was one of my favourite characters (the other being Richard) - I just can't see how the show can go on without him but I'm sure it will. There are lots of other good characters, I just need to find a new favourite!

I couldn't work out how long there was between this episode and the last season but I'm a bit sad they didn't deal with the fall out of Jimmy's death. I'm sure it will be explored in some way.

OK I really wish there was a UK paced thread because I've just clocked that the 3rd episode will be show in the US tonight so that means I'll always be ducking posts on this thread. Maybe I should make a UK thread?!

When I started this thread I didn't realise it was going to be shown in the UK so soon after. It is probably best to start a new thread, though, because some people still might not be able to view it over here and so will download the US episodes. If we start using spoiler tags until the episodes are aired here it might start to get confusing. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Absolutely that's why I thought a UK thread might be appropriate. My OH is boring and won't let us download them! I would probably stick around here if the same episode was shown within a week but there is too much distance between UK and US. I don't want to spoil it this year as it just wasn't the same waiting for Jimmy to get shot last year. Wish that had been a surprise! :P :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the first episode and thought it was a great opening to the series :)

Also so happy its coming back for a 4th season :D:D:D
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Very Sopranos-like this season I think, a new psycho introduced for the new season for Nucky to deal with (like Richie Aprile and Ralph Cifaretto), Nucky having nightmares about someone he's killed (like Tony with Big Pussy), Nucky getting obsessed with his latest mistress (again like Tony) and Nucky's overall inability to ever be happy is also very Tony Soprano.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fantastic episode, that Cleopatra lady is a bit nice.

She was extremely cute. Meg Chambers Steedle, not many roles so far according to IMDB so this looks like a big break for her.

I certainly hope she gets a lot more ..ahem...exposure.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are you guys watching it? I've only seen episode one and two.
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where are you guys watching it? I've only seen episode one and two.

Check your PM!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hallc wrote: »
    I can`t wait, but Jimmy will be a big miss

Yeah , him and his sidekick were my faves.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stephen Graham was fantastic in this week's ep, I thought.

And I hope that Eli can get back on side with Nucky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Stephen Graham was fantastic in this week's ep, I thought.

And I hope that Eli can get back on side with Nucky.

Can't get to like Ely for some reason.
    Forum Member
    Alexis07 wrote: »
    Can't get to like Ely for some reason.

Lost weight in prison didn't he?

Method actor or has he just been on a diet?
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Very Sopranos-like this season I think, a new psycho introduced for the new season for Nucky to deal with (like Richie Aprile and Ralph Cifaretto), Nucky having nightmares about someone he's killed (like Tony with Big Pussy), Nucky getting obsessed with his latest mistress (again like Tony) and Nucky's overall inability to ever be happy is also very Tony Soprano.

It does seem to be getting more and more gangsterish. I don't think the new gangster would have lasted five minutes in reality, killing innocent folk and cops. The actor's acting leaves a lot to be desired too. I personally preferred it when it centred around Jimmy. Still early days yet, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone seen the latest episode? The last twenty minutes :eek:

I've also just realised that the young fella 'Benny' who hangs around with Meyer Lansky is Bugsy Siegel.

The downside to Boardwalk Empire, for me anyways, is Margaret. Her scenes, acting, etc etc.
  • nokes22nokes22 Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This season has started well but I'm missing Jimmy, I think we need a good-hearted gangster to latch onto. Also, because there's so many men, male gangsters in particular, I'm getting rather confused as to who's who - they all seem to blend into each other with all their double dealings, lol!
  • TanequilTanequil Posts: 366,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The downside to Boardwalk Empire, for me anyways, is Margaret. Her scenes, acting, etc etc.

Her darn hospital classes for women :yawn: Margaret this series has been pointless and she no longer wears as many hats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nokes22 wrote: »
    Also, because there's so many men, male gangsters in particular, I'm getting rather confused as to who's who - they all seem to blend into each other with all their double dealings, lol!

Here we go ..

Atlantic City: Nucky, Owen Slater, Eli Thompson, Albert "Chalky" White, Dunn Purnsley, Richard Harrow. Mickey Doyle.

Chicago: Al Capone, Johnny Torrio, Nelson Van Alden, Dean O'Banion

New York City: Arnold Rothstein, Charles "Lucky" Luciano, Meyer Lansky, Benny (Bugsy Siegel), Gyp Rosetti

They are the male characters who have featured thus far.
    Tanequil wrote: »
    Her darn hospital classes for women :yawn: Margaret this series has been pointless and she no longer wears as many hats.

I haven't liked her from the start.
    Forum Member
    Notice they even made Gyp kinky like Ralph Cifaretto as well.

And two episodes without Richard Harrow :cry:

Notice it's not doing too well in the ratings either, falling week by week to an all time low of 2.11 million for episode 4 :(
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two shows with "Uncle Junior" in one night... First The Good Wife, and then Boardwalk Empire.

Good to see James Cromwell guest starring this week.

I was *not* expecting Nelson's new wife to do that!

And that attempt on Rosetti is going to make things worse...