An Adventure in Time and Space [Soppy Post]

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
I have finally got round to watch the truly thrilling and inspiring film, cleverly written by Mark Gatiss.

I literally went from :( to :cry:

I must say that after watching this I had to pause for a moment. It was so accurate and was a spot-on tearjerker, and made me reevaluate Doctor Who and all the work that has been put into it. I am a blessed fan of the show and have been ever since I can remember. It's such a shame that Hartnell wasn't around to see what a phenomenon the show became and the vast input he had put into the series, and I must say what a performance from David Bradley, and Ford's cameo at the end - totally reduced me to tears.

I couldn't have picked a worse time to watch it however, since I have just finished watching Hartnell's era (I got to The Ark before the BBC swept the internet of classic episodes).

Very awry story! Would definitely love a sequel or a series to overlook following events of each Doctor's tenure. Thanks to Verity Lambert and William Hartnell especially, and may their hearts rest in peace!

Comments

• jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    I have finally got round to watch the truly thrilling and inspiring film, cleverly written by Mark Gatiss.

I must say that after watching this I had to pause for a moment. It was so accurate and was a spot-on tearjerker, and made me reevaluate Doctor Who and all the work that has been put into it. I am a blessed fan of the show and have been ever since I can remember. It's such a shame that Hartnell wasn't around to see what a phenomenon the show became and the vast input he had put into the series, and I must say what a performance from David Bradley, and Ford's cameo at the end - totally reduced me to tears.

I couldn't have picked a worse time to watch it however, since I have just finished watching Hartnell's era (I got to The Ark before the BBC swept the internet of classic episodes).

Very awry story! Would definitely love a sequel or a series to overlook following events of each Doctor's tenure. Thanks to Verity Lambert and William Hartnell especially, and may their hearts rest in peace!

I watched this when it was shown - and several times since. It's a lovely piece of drama, well written and well acted. The little cameos from the Hartnell era were a lovely addition. - the ending with Matt was a lovely touch.

I've just noticed I've used the word "lovely" three times in that paragraph - it's a good adjective to use :)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adored the cameos, CAF and Mr Russell were superb. Bradley, what a performance, surely he could play 1, in the series!
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Note to OP - it may have been good but it wasn't very accurate. Most of the people who had input into early Who were ignored. This is OK for a docu drama but don't think it is what actually occurred, it is a story. And as for the registration on Hartnell's car....>:(
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Note to OP - it may have been good but it wasn't very accurate. Most of the people who had input into early Who were ignored. This is OK for a docu drama but don't think it is what actually occurred, it is a story. And as for the registration on Hartnell's car....>:(

I missed that! What did it say, if I dare ask?!
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I adored the cameos, CAF and Mr Russell were superb. Bradley, what a performance, surely he could play 1, in the series!

Definitely! Superb choice for Thirteenth Doctor.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Just a heads up, AAISAT is being repeated this Sunday at 10pm on BBC2 [HD]
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »

Just a shame it was pure fantasy then really. But sure, you can take a sentimental piece of fictional schmaltz designed for fanwank purposes as a historical document. I prefer reality but YMMV as they say.

I found it to be total garbage and frankly insulting to the life of Wiliam Hartnell.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Just a shame it was pure fantasy then really. But sure, you can take a sentimental piece of fictional schmaltz designed for fanwank purposes as a historical document. I prefer reality but YMMV as they say.

I found it to be total garbage and frankly insulting to the life of Wiliam Hartnell.

Glad you really enjoyed it Tom and took it in the spirit it was intended. Perhaps you could write a more factually accurate version assuming you were there and know exactly what happened. Because writing critical posts on a forum is far more challenging than penning an amazing piece of drama like AAISAT. I'm sure Gatiss is feeling pretty silly right now...
    Forum Member

INSULTING?

I believe this was the opposite of "insulting". An 80-minute drama based soley on how Doctor Who came popular, and how Hartnell was at the center of it's evolution, providing comedy and great acting at the same time? I don't think any Doctor above Peter Davidson could pull that off without looking stupid!

I'm sorry but I must disagree! "Pure fantasy"? I think it was very accurate - and I would love to see a sequel! I would pay to see a followup of this delightful presentation.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You know the inclusion of Matt Smith was probably a big clue to it not being a documentary and its perfectly clear to anybody that , if anything the film was kind to William Hartnell.

It's not a historical document, it is as you say, a fanwank, and a sensationally good one at that. In fact this thread has inspired me to go and watch it again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member

It's been stated in several interviews that they had to omit people/events for the pacing and to make a workable script one of the characters was a amalgamations of several I believe, there are plenty of biographies or auto biographies that tell us what happened, this was a loving well crafted DRAMATISATION of what occurred and to honor those who struggled to get doctor who on the air.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watching it now after DAY OF THE DOCTOR, still a beautiful thing
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airing now
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,911
    Forum Member
    Wonder if they will replace Matt with Peter in the final scene?
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught it, what a great cast. Interesting history. My Mum says I used to hide behind the sofa when I was a kid - must be an urban legend that surely.

These Matt Smith cameos, two in as many days. :(