Cant wait for doctor who tonight!

Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Finally, a new series of doctor who, starting at 7:50 tonight!
It feels soooooooo long since the last series. Cant wait to see the new doctor, Peter Capaldi. He looks a bit like the actor from The Musketeers who played the cardinal. Is this him?

Havent watched a full series of doctor who since when Matt Smith first came in 2010. Ive heard the series has gone downhill in recent years, often recycling old ideas with similar plots.

David Tennant has been my fave doctor since I first started watching in 2005. Wonder how this doctor will compare?

In this episode they are in Victorian England with a dinosaur causing chaos on the river thames.

The tv paper says "the good news is, he thrills as a grumpier, less house-trained time lord, who may well propel to show greater heights. Alas, the story of a killer on the loose in Victorian London is a little lack-lustre. The best is yet to come for this incarnation"

Hope its good.

Comments

• IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to give it a go too. I don't normally watch it anymore, im not a fan of sci-fi usually, for the most part anyway but I'm curious to see what his incarnation of The Doctor is like, as he seems quite a no-nonsense kind of a guy lol an older fellow Scot, I'm a bit curious to give it a go and am even kind of looking forward to it :) there isn't much on TV at the weekend that I tend to enjoy, I mostly listen to the radio.

My parents always watch Doctor Who but I tend to only really watch the Christmas day special, usually. It'd be nice to have another show to watch regularly though. I'll probably be totally lost to who all the characters and things are though, other than the really well known ones (Daleks, Cybermen etc.). I'll give it a go.
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not long to go
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont understand all this other universe stuff :p
  • SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching the start of Dads Army when my husband came in, stamped his foot and demanded I change the channel to BBC1 lest the pre-programmed thingy not pop up in time. Now we are all sitting and nobody is allowed to make a peep >:(
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get what's it's about. Never seen it...just watched 15 minutes and I'm confused
  • SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    I don't get what's it's about. Never seen it...just watched 15 minutes and I'm confused

This is Dr Who, you are supposed to be :)
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's usually about bad acting, wobbly sets & poor scripts!! :D:D

I really don't like Doctor Who!
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me neither. Its all a bit "what the hells going on?". I liked David Tennant as Dr Who, didn't like the last one and not sure about this one. So, I'm going back to the ABBA concert on C5!
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

Maybe in the 70s and 80s.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've given up and switched over to ABBA.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I didn't think much of it but with him being disorientated I guess a more rounded Doctor will emerge.

I thought the new titles and theme was awful.

And they were really pushing the lesbian agenda.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,938
    Forum Member
    It's childrens TV put on at peak time, and, if this was years ago when we only had 4 channels, I would not be happy. But there's a mile of stuff on other channels, so that's where I go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I didn't think much of it but with him being disorientated I guess a more rounded Doctor will emerge.

I thought the new titles and theme was awful.

And they were really pushing the lesbian agenda.

It's sad that including gay/lesbian people in a TV show is classed as "an agenda".

Are they not allowed to include these characters?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    It's sad that including gay/lesbian people in a TV show is classed as "an agenda".

I know for a fact a lot of die-hard Who fans are from the lesbian or gay community
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

Why would you think that?

What they are doing is banging the viewers over the head with the relationship in a way they wouldn't do with other relationships.

Did you know they were married? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Why would you think that?

What they are doing is banging the viewers over the head with the relationship in a way they wouldn't do with other relationships.

Did you know they were married? ;)

How are they banging you over the head with it?
    Forum Member
    Did you know they were married?
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

Now it's just the bad acting and poor scripts - and the annoying camerawork. Didn't think Capaldi was a bad actor before I saw this but he was pretty dire, although the poor script and I suspect very little rehearsal time (as is the norm these days) were mainly to blame.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Now it's just the bad acting and poor scripts - and the annoying camerawork.
    ... and the mumbled dialogue (clue: it's just as unintelligible if you turn on the subtitles).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was brilliant, great acting and story
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    ... and the mumbled dialogue (clue: it's just as unintelligible if you turn on the subtitles).

It probably is the embarrassment of the poor scripts that they just want to get it all out as fast as they can!! :D
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    grauniad wrote: »
    It's childrens TV put on at peak time, and, if this was years ago when we only had 4 channels, I would not be happy. But there's a mile of stuff on other channels, so that's where I go.

Doctor Who is a show that features so much violence and adult themes I doubt you could call it a kids' show.

That's why it's never been shown in a CBBC slot.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? In 50 years you've never heard what it's about?

I've never watched a single episode of Songs of Praise, Countryfile, Dancing on Ice, Morse, Midsummer Murders, Splash or The X-Factor (to name but a few) but I've picked up the gist of what they are about from the general buzz of background media. :D
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member

It's about the last of an alien race (complete with two hearts) called The Time Lords, from the planet Gallifrey, who travels around in a time and space machine he stole from them called the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space). It takes the appearance of an early 1960s police public telephone box (it was supposed to change its appearance to blend in with its surroundings but it froze on a trip to London in 1963 and the Doctor never really bothered to fix it, it makes it easier to find, I think).

He goes around space and time, seemingly at random, mostly in search of rest and respite but always gets pulled in to scrapes involving evil forces and feels it is his duty to stand up for the oppressed and defeat evil.

He has several companions along the way - some human, some not.

The events of last Saturday's episode were half-based around the Doctor recently regenerating (renewing himself) - Time Lords have an ability to renew their bodies and basic aspects of their personality. Not only does this allow the show to continue beyond the length of time an actor is willing to commit to it - and it is a pretty punishing work schedule for all the regulars and production staff - it also allows the show to reinvent itself if it is beginning to look old and stuffy at any point.

The Doctor won't be as strange as he was in the last episode for some time - Time Lords go through a temporary period of psychological instability just after regenerating (which they can't do at will). As one new Doctor said to a companion just after he regenerated: "moving into a new body is like moving into a new house, takes a little time to settle in".

That's the show summed up in not too great a detail that (hopefully) won't bore you and will allow you to judge the idea for yourself, rather than relying on second hand opinions. It's best to sample a few episodes if you're interested as the series varies between brilliant and awful episodes.