I'm so glad that the zany-ness has been toned right down.

BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
Forum Member
That is why I was glad of an older Doctor. From the first episode at least (silly tree branch horse riding scene aside), this Doctor isn't going to be running around waving his hands in the air like a cebeebies sketch like Matt Smith sometimes descended into. No over the top screaming and shouting. Calm measured and a bit more serious tone. No 5 minute fish finger and custard scene.

Hope it keeps up this way.

Comments

• 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,576
    Forum Member
    It was a refreshing change, goodbye Mr Bean, hello grown up Doctor :)
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    5 minute fish finger and custard scene > 20 minute talking to a hobo scene
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »

Best not to exaggerate when the truth is even more the opposite :p

4 minutes! :D
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, I still find 'mean and moody and aren't I dramatic' kind of boring as a trope. I don't want the Doctor to become generic moody hero. They're dull!
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »

The Tramp was Brian Miller, Lis Sladen's husband, they said that at the Q&A.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    It was a refreshing change, goodbye Mr Bean, hello grown up Doctor :)

Agree totally!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Doctor that offers you whiskey before death, no less...
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »

That epitomised it. Matt Smith would have went on talking really really fast to that robot about how he would like fez's or something.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't really toned down though. In fact, at times it felt like Capaldi's lines were written for Matt. But there were still some great laughs.

"Don't look at that mirror, it's absolutely furious!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow really? I didn't think it was toned down at all. After following Moffat's work now this is the probably the first big dent in the armour I've seen. Capaldi's performance is a lot more toned down yes and his delivery is different but I just read the script after watching the episode and honestly when reading it the dialogue could easily be read as 11. The actions may be different but the words they actually speak and the sentence structure is the same the way he goes off in rants and talks to himself, the way he questions something he just said, the sudden abrupt rudeness.

All the characters had there usual quips and spoke the Moffat way but it didn't have Smith who was the zany one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    It wasn't really toned down though. In fact, at times it felt like Capaldi's lines were written for Matt. But there were still some great laughs.

As has been raised in another thread - this Doctor didn't appear to be there until we reached Clara's rescue. Before then we went from manic on the Thames to confused and angry in the alleys.

Episode 2 will be a much better gauge of 12.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As has been raised in another thread - this Doctor didn't appear to be there until we reached Clara's rescue. Before then we went from manic on the Thames to confused and angry in the alleys.

Episode 2 will be a much better gauge of 12.

Very true that is an aspect I hadn't considered however I still say there were the odd lines that stuck out as eleven-y

"There still going to close your restaurant. That was going to sound better."

"So your restaurant is made out of your old ship - but you're wasting your time, it can't ever fly.
    "The escape pod is viable."
    "How? You can't patch up a space-ship with human remains. You know, this really is ringing a bell."
    (More for the way it is said, it's very quick and snappy as well as the fact he's talking to himself. All traits of 11)

"Okay, that's clever. How are you powering it."
    11 would commonly just say something is "clever" in an open manner. You'd think this darker Doctor would be somewhat more reserved in the compliments.

"I don't think of it. I don't. Droids and apostrophes, I could write a book. Except you’re barely a Droid any more. There's more human in you than machine. So tell me what you think of the view."
    Again more for the way it is said. Quick comment, quick quip and back to serious. Common with 11.

I like the dialogue. I really do I think it's fun and snappy, if quite overused recently. But that isn't my issue. So far with New Who I've grown very quickly accustomed to new Doctor's CE, DT and MS. Why? Because they all felt different. And that's why I have to commend RTD here, he made DT and CE very distinct even in their opening episodes. Ecclestone was serious and DT was far lighter but still serious. Smith was a lot more manic and fantastical but still different and wonderful. RTD made them different so in the first episode it didn't feel like the same guy but a different face. Here even after Capaldi is THE Doctor and not channeling 11 it still felt like Capaldi with Smith's mouth. Because Moffat has the one style. Quick and snappy with moments of dark. The exact same goes for Sherlock. You can rip some of Sherlock's lines and fit them into DW and no one would blink. And I know that because there are multiple quotes that are in both shows.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the zaniness was toned down. I found it quite easy to imagine Matt Smith in all of the scenes. It was a typical Steven Moffat script (actually one of his best, but typical in style). The difference is the different actor. I tried to explain this the other week to someone who thinks a script is all you need to judge an episode. The actor brings so much to the characterization. Matt Smith was fantastic, and although some were too busy spitting indignation to see it, he could play 'serious', heavy scenes just fine. Peter Capaldi's portrayal is different but also excellent.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »

Wow really? I didn't think it was toned down at all. After following Moffat's work now this is the probably the first big dent in the armour I've seen. Capaldi's performance is a lot more toned down yes and his delivery is different but I just read the script after watching the episode and honestly when reading it the dialogue could easily be read as 11. The actions may be different but the words they actually speak and the sentence structure is the same the way he goes off in rants and talks to himself, the way he questions something he just said, the sudden abrupt rudeness.

All the characters had there usual quips and spoke the Moffat way but it didn't have Smith who was the zany one.
    I agree with many of the comments that it wasn't toned down. Maybe Capaldi isn't as jumpy and arm waving as Smith but some lines were still pretty cringy and that goes for the supporting cast also.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    I don't think the zaniness was toned down. I found it quite easy to imagine Matt Smith in all of the scenes. It was a typical Steven Moffat script (actually one of his best, but typical in style). The difference is the different actor. I tried to explain this the other week to someone who thinks a script is all you need to judge an episode. The actor brings so much to the characterization. Matt Smith was fantastic, and although some were too busy spitting indignation to see it, he could play 'serious', heavy scenes just fine. Peter Capaldi's portrayal is different but also excellent.

Just want to quote that for truth. (well, alright, opinion.) Eleven was so much more than just some silly whirling dervish to me.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capaldi was doing a bit of hand waving and flailing around at the beginning.

Anyway, whilst Matt's Doctor did do a lot of hand waving and spinning around and acting crazy, he also did have a lot of serious emotional scenes which I think he pulled of masterfully.
    Examples include: the cameo in Deep Breath, his final scenes and when he was saying goodbye to little Amelia in The Big Bang.

Anyway, I'm happy for a change in direction, but that doesn't mean I hate what has come before.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member

Why not - he IS an adult, (at last.).

And as he is a Scot, it is probably whisky (the Scottish spirit ) rather than whiskey (the Irish) ;-)
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, whilst Matt's Doctor did do a lot of hand waving and spinning around and acting crazy, he also did have a lot of serious emotional scenes which I think he pulled of masterfully.
    Examples include: the cameo in Deep Breath, his final scenes and when he was saying goodbye to little Amelia in The Big Bang.

"Don't ever think you can play games with me" to Amy and Rory in The Impossible Astronaut.

His reaction to hearing the word 'Trenzalore'.

There's so many examples that could be plucked from numerous episodes. I would say Matt Smith probably played as many weighty scenes in his three seasons as the beloved Tom Baker did in 7 (I love Tom Baker's portrayal. I'm just illustrating a point). Some people see what they want to see and don't see what they don't want to see. How can you credibly maintain a dogma if you go around observing things that are inconvenient to it.

The eleventh Doctor was childish and 'silly'.

Steven Moffatt is a sexist cad.

You can't engage in a proper discussion about such opinions because they are not opinions formed from reason or objective observation. They're emotional opinions derived from dogma.
  • chattswhochattswho Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Capaldi was doing a bit of hand waving and flailing around at the beginning..

I think it was down to the fact that he was still going through his regeneration process so still had a bit of matts doctor in him. He definitely toned down towards the end.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,678
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Nope, I still find 'mean and moody and aren't I dramatic' kind of boring as a trope. I don't want the Doctor to become generic moody hero. They're dull!

This.

Dark=deep and powerful drama is such an overdone cliche in TV now.

It was nice that Doctor Who, and the character of the Doctor in particular, stood out.
    Yes, he had his brooding moments but he was largely a fun, dynamic, interesting character who most of all was interested in doing the right thing for the right reasons.

His morality was at the core of the show.
    After growing up on American scifis which preached that the crew were peacemakers who would still arm themselves in the fiercest ships possible and arm themselves in any off ship operation, it was nice to have a completely pacifist character.

Now we have a Doctor that kills. I do have a massive problem with that as its the opposite of what drew me to this show and treading down the same road Buffy did with Angel or Dexter one of those redeemed hero shows....

I know Moffat likes to preach about taking the show in new directions after 50 years, but changing the very foundations the show is built on isn't the wisest of choices.

Lets hope this was just first episode growing pains and The Doctor won't be casually offing his rivals every episode this season......
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chattswho wrote: »
    I think it was down to the fact that he was still going through his regeneration process so still had a bit of matts doctor in him. He definitely toned down towards the end.

I agree. He was very much Eleven up until he returned with the TARDIS to collect Clara at the very end of the episode. At that point he was Twelve. The 'don't look in that mirror, it's furious' line which everyone is picking up on is clearly a representation of the effects of the regeneration; it's there to show how confused he is, not to make him sound like Eleven.
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This.

Dark=deep and powerful drama is such an overdone cliche in TV now.

It was nice that Doctor Who, and the character of the Doctor in particular, stood out.
    Yes, he had his brooding moments but he was largely a fun, dynamic, interesting character who most of all was interested in doing the right thing for the right reasons.

His morality was at the core of the show.
    After growing up on American scifis which preached that the crew were peacemakers who would still arm themselves in the fiercest ships possible and arm themselves in any off ship operation, it was nice to have a completely pacifist character.

Now we have a Doctor that kills. I do have a massive problem with that as its the opposite of what drew me to this show and treading down the same road Buffy did with Angel or Dexter one of those redeemed hero shows....

I know Moffat likes to preach about taking the show in new directions after 50 years, but changing the very foundations the show is built on isn't the wisest of choices.

Lets hope this was just first episode growing pains and The Doctor won't be casually offing his rivals every episode this season......

We don't know that the Doctor killed the android. The question is (I'm there already :P) can you kill something which was never alive?