Scottish Accent

CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,222
Forum Member
David Tennant wasn't allowed to keep his Scottish accent but Peter Capaldi is.

Surely this has nothing to do with the BBC wanting to make Scots feel included prior to the Independence referendum? ;-)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    CarlLewis wrote: »

Surely this has nothing to do with the BBC wanting to make Scots feel included prior to the Independence referendum? ;-)

Hahaha, maybe. Moffat has said that they wanted Tennant to lose the scottish accent because he had been in a drama previously for which he was best known for, and he had an 'English accent' in that. He also said Capaldi is known to have a scottish accent so it would just look sillier giving him an English one.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    No idea but it was difficult to understand him.
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of planets have highlands....
  • HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    Lots of planets have highlands....

No they don't, there can be only one. :blush:

Oh, not HighlandERs? My bad.
  • sqwidge1978sqwidge1978 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problems understanding him here ;)
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fully understood him - I like the Scottish accent :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    I found Mr Capaldi hard to understand.

I give up.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problems here but then again I from Aberdeen. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    I understood him quite well, and I can't say I'm used to Scottish accents.
    There were a few parts I missed, but most of those were because people around were laughing (I was in the cinema).
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His diction was perfectly clear. Besides, he isn't the first Doctor to speak with a Scottish accent. Sylvester McCoy did, although his was less pronounced. There again, nobody seemed to have a problem with Christopher Eccleston speaking in his native Manchester accent.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His diction was perfectly clear. Besides, he isn't the first Doctor to speak with a Scottish accent. Sylvester McCoy did, although his was less pronounced.

There you go.
    There again, nobody seemed to have a problem with Christopher Eccleston speaking in his native Manchester accent.

Not true, I thought it was bloody weird.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    There seems to be some discrepancy on the ability to understand Peter Capaldi.

Which is odd as I've not had a problem with any of his previous programmes. I watched it "live" on BBC 1 and confess I struggled with some of the dialogue (and not just Peter's)

I was about a quarter of the way in when the phone rang (I did debate ignoring it) but I decided to answer anyway.

When I came back I decided to watch it from the start again, this time in HD from the Sky box.

Complete change - crystal clear dialogue - which meant really appreciating the "spin" that has been put on the new Doctor. - I like the new darker Dr.

"Basic programming - I can't destroy myself"
    "and I can't commit murder"

"one of us is lying"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »

You're right, it doesn't.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are people claiming they found him difficult to understand being serious?

If so this has to be the single most ridiculous criticism of Doctor Who I have ever seen in my life. He speaks English with a Scottish lilt for goodness sake! He's hardly speaking scots with a strong Glasgow accent or anything like that.

Either that, or get someone to look at your television. I've seen people complain that the music is too loud and thus makes dialogue difficult to hear. I have never had this problem so perhaps it's a problem with their TV.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Capaldi could tone it down it a bit, IMO. At times he sounded exactly like Billy Connolly.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Tone it down? He has a rather anglified accent as it is...He doesn't sound anything like Billy Connolly..lol!
    Forum Member
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    Tone it down? He has a rather anglified accent as it is...He doesn't sound anything like Billy Connolly..lol!

He did at some points e.g. in the alley with the tramp.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member

If so this has to be the single most ridiculous criticism of Doctor Who I have ever seen in my life. He speaks English with a Scottish lilt for goodness sake! He's hardly speaking scots with a strong Glasgow accent or anything like that.

Either that, or get someone to look at your television. I've seen people complain that the music is too loud
    and thus makes dialogue difficult to hear. I have never had this
    problem so perhaps it's a problem
    with their TV.

Well said!
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Either that, or get someone to look at your television. I've seen people complain that the music is too loud and thus makes dialogue difficult to hear. I have never had this problem so perhaps it's a problem with their TV.

He did mumble in places during Deep Breath last night and I just had to accept that I didn't hear what he said. He's been like it in interviews as well at times. For the most part, Peter is perfectly understandable but he has moments where his accent becomes stronger as he mumbles and it's hard to hear what he's saying.

To say that it's the most ridiculous criticism of Doctor Who you've ever seen is just beyond OTT. If several people are struggling to hear him in places, then there is a problem...
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »
    He did mumble in places during Deep Breath last night and I just had to accept that I didn't hear what he said. He's been like it in interviews as well at times. For the most part, Peter is perfectly understandable but he has moments where his accent becomes stronger as he mumbles and it's hard to hear what he's saying.

To say that it's the most ridiculous criticism of Doctor Who you've ever seen is just beyond OTT. If several people are struggling to hear him in places, then there is a problem...

You're right, it's not so much that he's Scottish but he mumbles. When Vastra was doing her best Scottish she sounded more Scottish than him yet still perfectly understandable because she enunciates.
    Forum Member

I missed some of the dialogue when he was in the nightgown. He mumbled and spoke too quickly. I even said out loud 'I've no idea what he's on about' and turned the TV up. He got better from the alley scene onwards though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not. It genuinely is the most ridiculous criticism I have ever seen.
    Accusing him of mumbling at points or complaining that the music is too loud are valid criticisms.
    When I say "the most ridiculous criticism I have ever seen", I mean the claim that his Scottish accent specifically makes him difficult to understand; a claim, some people on this thread seem to be making.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not. It genuinely is the most ridiculous criticism I have ever seen.

I really do doubt that. Mumbling on TV is becoming a bigger and bigger problem at the moment as it seems to be the vogue thing for actors and actresses to do. For Peter, it seems to be a more natural thing he does, but even so, it's not helpful for some people.

What you claim to be an OTT thing is just bizzare. If people can't understand what's being said on a programme they watch, then IT is a problem...not an OTT thing...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really do doubt that. Mumbling on TV is becoming a bigger and bigger problem at the moment as it seems to be the vogue thing for actors and actresses to do. For Peter, it seems to be a more natural thing he does, but even so, it's not helpful for some people.

What you claim to be an OTT thing is just bizzare. If people can't understand what's being said on a programme they watch, then IT is a problem...not an OTT thing...

Read my post again. I don't think accusations of him mumbling are ridiculous, I think claims that his Scottish accent specifically makes him difficult to understand are ridiculous.

EDIT: I just realised I didn't make this clear in by first post (but attempted to in my second). Apologies for the confusion. I initially thought the discussion on this thread was about his accent alone.

Many actors, regardless of accent, are guilty of mumbling incoherently at times, but no-one ever blames their regional accent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read my post again. I don't think accusations of him mumbling are ridiculous, I think claims that his Scottish accent specifically makes him difficult to understand are ridiculous.

Many actors, regardless of accent, are guilty of mumbling incoherently at times, but no-one ever blames their regional accent.

His accent in the alleyway scene became quite strong in places though and that was one of the places where I struggled to understand him the most in places. He mumbled as his accent got stronger. I think it's a fair enough complaint to make. His accent was a part of the problem in places throughout Deep Breath.