The Doctor chose his 'Matt Smith' face for Clara's benefit?

2»

Comments

• lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »
    Why would he be telling the audience they have to cast young people in Peter Capaldi's first episode?

Moffat was doing a theme of acceptance- all the stuff about Vastra's veil. She was talking about how other people (wrongly) judged based on appearances. It does kind of suggest though that people like to see a pretty/young face so that's why the NuWhos were all young(ish).

It was very overboard just for casting an older actor. Do children really care that much about age?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't his previous faces younger because of his guilt over the Time War?

From Hurt we went to Ecclestone > Tennant > Smith all youngish, and in Smiths not overly responsible/mature.

Of course Tennants finale was sending the Time Lords back to their 'deaths' so he regenerated into a younger, not as mature face to help him forget about the 'Genocide' he had committed.

Whereas Smith went older and wiser because he knew what really happened with the Moment :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    Moffat was doing a theme of acceptance- all the stuff about Vastra's veil. She was talking about how other people (wrongly) judged based on appearances. It does kind of suggest though that people like to see a pretty/young face so that's why the NuWhos were all young(ish).

It was very overboard just for casting an older actor. Do children really care that much about age?

I know the speech was about acceptance, Vastra uses those exact words, but I don't buy the interpretation where Moffat is deliberately leaning on the fourth wall to justify a very successful decision they made three years ago.
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the speech was about acceptance, Vastra uses those exact words, but I don't buy the interpretation where Moffat is deliberately leaning on the fourth wall to justify a very successful decision they made three years ago.

They're not trying to justify Matt's casting, more so justify Peter Capaldi's casting. I know alot of people who, when PC was cast, were annoyed that he was too old. So this was Moffat's way of saying "give him a chance please".
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Why this one, why did I choose this face? It's like I'm trying to tell myself something. Like I’m trying to make a point, but what's so important I can't just tell myself what I'm thinking?"

The Doctor never makes a conscious choice, he never chooses a face, he never knows quite what he's going to get, but they're guided by his subconscious. They're the faces he needs.

Completely unrelated to this thread, but that line of dialogue completely made me think about Zaphod Beeblebrox and the writing on his brain ....
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 29,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it reasonable to suppose that the doctor had commander maxill's face as symptom of his 6th incarnations instability?......
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    They're not trying to justify Matt's casting, more so justify Peter Capaldi's casting. I know alot of people who, when PC was cast, were annoyed that he was too old. So this was Moffat's way of saying "give him a chance please".

It's Moffat saying, "remember that Matt's face was only a young mask over a very, very old mind - the Doctor hasn't aged at all."