Eastenders - Dean and Linda *HUGE Spoiler*

Comments

• Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    Only over the past few months though- and he's very different to how he was in 2008. Yes he was angry at Shirley but he wasn't a creepy weirdo. That said, he did make her pay for a prostitute which I had forgotten about (for £30!). :o

Yeh his last episode in 2008 saw a completely different to Dean.

I mean, this Deano person, I have no idea who he is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2yUUiooZw
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QueenAmy wrote: »
    "LOL this has already been done!"
    "PMSL so much for 'no we won't recycle greatest hits"
    These comments are what really annoy me about this forum, its nothing but ignorance to the people who have actually suffered from storylines which Linda is being given. "Greatest Hits"? Rape happens regularly in all areas, do you really expect for a rape storyline to NEVER happen in EastEnders again? It's unlikely, it adds REALISM, just like the amount of cancer's in Soap is although it's repetitive, hundreds of people get diagnosed EVERY day and many people fall victim to rape every day

These storylines are fantastic to tackle and I'm sure that Kellie Bright will do justice in it, you don't like it? You think that it's repetitive? Don't watch it if it bugs you that much

I am one of the people who made this kind of comment & my response is:chill out!

When he started DTC made a comment in an interview that he wouldn't repeat "greatest hits" & here is his Big Idea (the Carter family) & their plot lines bear a STARTLING resemblance to that of an iconic family of a decade ago- the Slaters.

My "greatest hits" comment is due to the amount of plotlines for the Carters that bear close resemblance to previous ones, notably that of the Slater family:

Tosh/Tina-a replay of Trevor/Little Mo with the twist being its a lesbian couple
    Shirley/ Mick- a re-run of Kat/Zoe with the twist being it wasn't a rape in this version.
    Linda/Dean -a re-run of Kat/Harry with the twist being that in this case it's the nephew raping the aunt/sister in law but the older story featured a rape of a niece by an uncle.

It is uncanny how many Carter plotlines mirror Slater plotlines from over a decade ago.
    In a free forum I have the right to express my feelings about this, even if I choose to sum it up with some contemptuous comment about "greatest hits"
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Yeh his last episode in 2008 saw a completely different to Dean.

I mean, this Deano person, I have no idea who he is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2yUUiooZw

It's a bit like looking at Ronnie in 2007 when she arrived and her line "Look at this miserable bunch"...........need I say more?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a bit like looking at Ronnie in 2007 when she arrived and her line "Look at this miserable bunch"...........need I say more?

Very true!
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see this as a rerun of a greatest hit at all. We are actually going to see the whole thing unfold on screen. Usually with the rape stories they have already happened and the secret has been hidden for decades or as in the case of Stacey they are rushed through so fast many viewers didn't even know it had happened.

We have already seen this story start, from Dean pursuing Linda to the point she keeps having to reject him, next stop will be the rape, then the immediate fall out from that, then the eventual reveal that Dean did rape her and then Dean leaving which will form part closure for Linda. So it is already very different. Perhaps the last time they told a rape story like this was with Lil Mo's second rape in the early 00s.
  • EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No doubt Kellie will do a briliant job with this storyline. Not that I think Matt is a bad actor or anything but his character is a bit one dimensional so I think he'll just be written as a villain with little depth. He'll probably end up being carted off by the police screaming and shouting that Shirley is to blame for everything. I think Kellie/Linda will be the one to watch.

I agree with this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Very true!

I think there's a moral here- if you're a cheerful, together person stay the **** away from Walford or you will end up a miserable, psychotic criminal in just a few short years. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Can people stop comparing the JP Storyline in Hollyoaks to this one please?

They are 2 completely different stories. I actually feel that the JP storyline has been handled more or less rather well. Male rape is a very different issue, and I felt that him losing his job and going to jail, whilst used to create more drama, was actually quite realistic because men don't know how to deal with this type of thing and their lives do tend to fall apart. The 235 days bit in Friday's first look was so powerful to me, because you never forget. It's been 2 years for me and when I went for help, I felt like I was being blamed (my situation is very different, I'd rather not go into it), but this storyline has helped me realise it is not my fault.

Eastenders is doing a different storyline completely. There are many different types of rape and abuse. People should reserve judgement because, as anyone who has had the misfortune of this experience knows, everyone is affected and deals with it in different ways.

Since I began watching soaps, I have seen many rape storylines and I feel that, as harrowing and distressing it is to watch, it is important to portray them so as to completely destroy the stigma and judgement attached to rape survivors.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's a moral here- if you're a cheerful, together person stay the f*ck away from Walford or you will end up a miserable, psychotic criminal in just a few short years. :o

:D Next year on Linda's birthday the Carters will dress up as Morrissey and sing 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i find Dean creepy anyway,so it summat he would do i suppose( he keeps touching her in the pub etc) :( Looking forward to the grittiness storyline...Poor Linda :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John_91 wrote: »

They are 2 completely different stories. I actually feel that the JP storyline has been handled more or less rather well. Male rape is a very different issue, and I felt that him losing his job and going to jail, whilst used to create more drama, was actually quite realistic because men don't know how to deal with this type of thing and their lives do tend to fall apart. The 235 days bit in Friday's first look was so powerful to me, because you never forget. It's been 2 years for me and when I went for help, I felt like I was being blamed (my situation is very different, I'd rather not go into it), but this storyline has helped me realise it is not my fault.

Eastenders is doing a different storyline completely. There are many different types of rape and abuse. People should reserve judgement because, as anyone who has had the misfortune of this experience knows, everyone is affected and deals with it in different ways.

Since I began watching soaps, I have seen many rape storylines and I feel that, as harrowing and distressing it is to watch, it is important to portray them so as to completely destroy the stigma and judgement attached to rape survivors.

I'm so sorry about this John and I hope you are getting help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see this as a rerun of a greatest hit at all. We are actually going to see the whole thing unfold on screen. Usually with the rape stories they have already happened and the secret has been hidden for decades or as in the case of Stacey they are rushed through so fast many viewers didn't even know it had happened.

We have already seen this story start, from Dean pursuing Linda to the point she keeps having to reject him, next stop will be the rape, then the immediate fall out from that, then the eventual reveal that Dean did rape her and then Dean leaving which will form part closure for Linda. So it is already very different. Perhaps the last time they told a rape story like this was with Lil Mo's second rape in the early 00s.

True, but I think if they had taken longer to delve into Dean's mental state it could have been a great story. Little Mo was victimised too often in my opinion, she had already suffered again and again at the hands of Trevor and it was well done- but then she became another female character they were determined to make the perennial victim.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but I think if they had taken longer to delve into Dean's mental state it could have been a great story. Little Mo was victimised too often in my opinion, she had already suffered again and again at the hands of Trevor and it was well done- but then she became another female character they were determined to make the perennial victim.

Oh yes, that really pissed me off. It just smacked of a cheap stunt doing it twice.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear that John but glad it's helped you in some way, you are right they are not the same,

I still found JP storyline poorly handled over all imo of course and had some uncomfortable aspects him being sent to jail being one that I didn't agree with but the message in the beginning hopefully raised awareness for male rape and apparently help change legislation.

Hopefully Linda's storyline will do the same, it's important it's talked about and not stigmatized.
  • Julie_SmithJulie_Smith Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Tony and Whitney? She was under 16 and it was rape within the family unit. When he got out of prison she was still underage.
    Another rape within the family unit was Trevor raping his wife Little Mo.

Just like this none of these were blood related like Linda and Dean are not. But were in the same family.

I would prefer them to explore the real taboo of elderly rape one of the least talked about and reported rapes we have. And for them to stop mixing adult rape with attraction than control. Least with Little Mo it was clear that's what it was about.
    Also Ronnie being raped by her father and kat being raped by her uncle
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a very courageous and honest post.

Good luck for the future John. :)
  • GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear about your experiences john. Living through an ordeal like that will obviously mean you have a very different outlook to the rest of us and it's encouraging to see that some of these storylines have helped you.

I personally am hoping that this storyline is handled completely differently. I don't want a big sensational reveal as I think there is do much material to show the storyline in a better light. I want Linda to have the courage to name her attacker as soon as the rape happens. I want her to go to the police and go through the process of the DNA being taken , the crisis team being involved and show the real emotional impact on herself and her family.

As for Dean, why write him out. Have him caught, have him serve justice but do it in a way where his mental health is explored. The trial is portrayed accurately. Heck even build a prison set and focus on the fallout.

I just think there is so much that can be done with this that writing dean out in a sensationalist reveal is not necessarily the best move.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see how Dean can stay. Unless there is a trial and he gets off. That way viewers will always know the truth about what happened whereas the characters on the show will always be left wondering which one of them was telling the truth. Like real life really.

That could be quite interesting actually but at the same time might send out the wrong message and discourage real victims from coming forward.
  • GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    I don't see how Dean can stay. Unless there is a trial and he gets off. That way viewers will always know the truth about what happened whereas the characters on the show will always be left wondering which one of them was telling the truth. Like real life really.

That could be quite interesting actually but at the same time might send out the wrong message and discourage real victims from coming forward.

That would be interesting but controversial. I don't want to lose the character to be honest. Evenly find him guilty but explore his mindset. There's plenty of ways they could go. The last thing we need is a big all guns blazing reveal
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I doubt the messiness of real life situations will be played out on EE. TPTB have said this storyline is to encourage people to come forward, so they aren't gonna show him getting away with it as this shows a negative message towards rape victims.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Goosebee wrote: »
    As for Dean, why write him out. Have him caught, have him serve justice but do it in a way where his mental health is explored. The trial is portrayed accurately. Heck even build a prison set and focus on the fallout.

I just think there is so much that can be done with this that writing dean out in a sensationalist reveal is not necessarily the best move.

There is so much more that can be done with Dean which is why I'm upset that this is what they are doing as it's 99% likely that he'll have to leave.

I'd love to see how he copes in prison (if that's where the story will go) but I doubt this will happen :( Anything to keep him in the show.

Anything is possible - the writers could do anything but going by the press release, I think, and also hope, that justice will be done.
    That would be interesting but controversial. I don't want to lose the character to be honest. Evenly find him guilty but explore his mindset. There's plenty of ways they could go. The last thing we need is a big all guns blazing reveal

If Dean has to become a rapist, I'd prefer it that we see him feel guilty and explore his mindset as we know he's not 'evil' and I think in loyalty to the character, I think he should also be focused on in the aftermath.
    boddism wrote: »
    I doubt the messiness of real life situations will be played out on EE. TPTB have said this storyline is to encourage people to come forward, so they aren't gonna show him getting away with it as this shows a negative message towards rape victims.

We only have to look at other soap storylines to see how intentions can go haywire - Carla's trial in Corrie was awful - she was made out to be a liar due to her affair with Peter and with John Paul in Hollyoaks, he was put in prison, lost his job and had to save his rapist's life, before people even knew what had happened to him. I'd like to think justice will be done though.
    It's only because I love the character of Dean that I want him to stay in the show.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally am hoping that this storyline is handled completely differently. I don't want a big sensational reveal as I think there is do much material to show the storyline in a better light. I want Linda to have the courage to name her attacker as soon as the rape happens. I want her to go to the police and go through the process of the DNA being taken , the crisis team being involved and show the real emotional impact on herself and her family.

I agree with you, but once he eventually goes to prison he would have to be written out, other than maybe appearance where Shirley visits him. But i would want to see him accept responsibility for his own actions for once and face the consequences.

I don't want some sensationalist, Stella-style exit, which some people think will happen. Or this horrible idea of Mick killing him at Christmas (though i wouldn't put it past tptb).
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    This should be a great storyline but it looks as though it could be the beginning of the end of Dean...
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am actually really annoyed about this storyline!!

Yes, I know that rape happens, but it has already been played out on a number of occasions in the story's history.

I have no problem with them going along of the stalker and becoming obsessed with Linda as we know that it looks like Dean as some serious mental issues.

But we know that most of these issues deem from his time in prison, were its been hinted he suffered serious sexual abuse. So they are going along the lines of the abused becoming the abuser!!

Why couldnt they have him threaten it, but then completely breakdown as he becomes aware of what he has become. This to me is a far more interesting storyline and it would also affect the whole family.

Of course writers these days like to go for the shock factor instead.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jude007 wrote: »
    I have no problem with them going along of the stalker and becoming obsessed with Linda as we know that it looks like Dean as some serious mental issues.

But we know that most of these issues deem from his time in prison, were its been hinted he suffered serious sexual abuse. So they are going along the lines of the abused becoming the abuser!!

Why couldnt they have him threaten it, but then completely breakdown as he becomes aware of what he has become. This to me is a far more interesting storyline and it would also affect the whole family.
    I think what I find odd is that they had the opportunity to do a male rape storyline, which i don't think EE have done before, with Dean, but they've chosen to go this way instead and have another female sexual abuse victim on the square. I know some suggest that Ben was also brutalised in prison so maybe they'll explore male rape then, but then we're getting to a hell of a lot of abuse victims in the show.

I also think him stalking her would have been more effective and also would have highlighted an important issue that is frightening for the victim.

I'm also starting to find the portrayal of men in the soap a bit suspect, a lot of stories about men causing harm to women this year. And any man with prospects seems to be bad news.

I'm not saying it's not an important storyline or that it wont be good when i say this though.