Options

Ebola now in Spain its getting nearer!

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urm we've had an Ebola patient in London, much "closer" than Spain ??
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO yes, that person should have been quarantined and treated there.

But he wasn't and was instead brought home where he was treated and cured. Had he have stayed out there even under quarantine he may have infected many others before eventually dying.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    But he wasn't and was instead brought home where he was treated and cured. Had he have stayed out there even under quarantine he may have infected many others before eventually dying.

If he can be cured here then why not out in Africa because I personally wouldn't take that as a sign that it's safe to come back here for treatment, not by a mile.

You're not telling me that they're using a more reliable method of treatment here than out there are you because that would be selfish and unfair to others infected wouldn't it?
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is getting serious now. Why on earth are we not stopping flights coming in from infected countries. I heard today on the radio that Ebola is very similar to full blown Aids - and that we can only catch it from exchanging bodily fluids....so they why on earth are the care staff at treatment centers wearing suits akin to what people wear when entering nuclear reactors?
    I fear we are not being told the truth hear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    To compare this to influenza, HIV, Malaria etc is not comparing like with like. This IS, as has been confirmed repeatedly by the WHO, MSF and others on the ground, seemingly going exponential. In any exponential spread the majority of the end total of infected will not be infected until the very end. In this case the doubling period seems to be around 20 days. So until the last 40 days 75% of people WILL NOT have it, and until the last 20 days a full 50% WILL NOT have it. This is what many are finding so hard to grasp. But grasping it is vital.

http://www.worldpopulationbalance.org/exponential-growth-tutorial/bacteria-exponential-growth.html

Do I trust the government to protect us? no

Do I expect them to try and hide this behind the sofa until its to obvious that they cannot lie to us anymore? yes

I am not too worried, YET, but if this gets hold in either India or China, I will seriously consider stockpiling food and water.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Does that include the British aid worker who caught it and returned here for treatment a few weeks ago?

Yes, he chose to go there.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    All medics returning from Africa should go into quarantine until declared clear, in fact all persons coming from that part of Africa should be quarantined,.

Exactly,sounds sensible.
  • Options
    My usernamesMy usernames Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    One major reason this is still a problem was because Ebola arose and occurs in dirt poor countries, and as far as the pharmaceutical companies are concerned, "there's no money in dead africans ".:(

True but there is money in the natural resources in their counties if there is no population left to resist exploitation...the history of Africa Is one of the populations of whole counties being removed so the resources can used be up by /in other continents. This is just a new way of conducting the same thing.
  • Options
    My usernamesMy usernames Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To compare this to influenza, HIV, Malaria etc is not comparing like with like. This IS, as has been confirmed repeatedly by the WHO, MSF and others on the ground, seemingly going exponential. In any exponential spread the majority of the end total of infected will not be infected until the very end. In this case the doubling period seems to be around 20 days. So until the last 40 days 75% of people WILL NOT have it, and until the last 20 days a full 50% WILL NOT have it. This is what many are finding so hard to grasp. But grasping it is vital.

http://www.worldpopulationbalance.org/exponential-growth-tutorial/bacteria-exponential-growth.html

Do I expect them to try and hide this behind the sofa until its to obvious that they cannot lie to us anymore? yes

I am not too worried, YET, but if this gets hold in either India or China, I will seriously consider stockpiling food and water.

All we need now is the spectre of H1N1 or some other type of flu coming from Asia and well be truly buggered
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All we need now is the spectre of H1N1 or some other type of flu coming from Asia and well be truly buggered

Honeysuckle tea anyone? :)
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Ebola fears, start hitting the shares market. The panic starts http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29517849
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member

^^^ Everyone should read this.
  • Options
    JigglyBallJigglyBall Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually getting quite scared about all this now...

Think I might start stockpiling food and essentials.

PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! :o
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The husband of the Spanish nurse has been asked to put his dog down. I really feel sorry for him, can pets even carry the illness?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    JigglyBall wrote: »
    I'm actually getting quite scared about all this now...

Think I might start stockpiling food and essentials.

PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! :o

Yes - and also check out the supposed 'cures':D

Colloidal or nano silver
    Vitamin c
    Oregano oil
    Clove oil
    Burdock root
    Thieves oil
    Tea tree oil
    Garlic.

You wonder if none of these work why the FDA in the US and the EU seem so keen to discourage people from using them - for a disease which has no supposed cure anyway!

Well what did people do before drug companies?! Mother Nature perhaps?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Yes - and also check out the supposed 'cures':D

Colloidal or nano silver
    Vitamin c
    Oregano oil
    Clove oil
    Burdock root
    Thieves oil
    Tea tree oil
    Garlic.

You wonder if none of these work why the FDA in the US and the EU seem so keen to discourage people from using them - for a disease which has no supposed cure anyway!

Well what did people do before drug companies?! Mother Nature perhaps?

Died at 24?
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    The husband of the Spanish nurse has been asked to put his dog down. I really feel sorry for him, can pets even carry the illness?

:confused: can't the dog be quarantined too?
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This reminds me of the excellent novel "The Stand" by Stephen King. I hope it all fizzles out but these things are always worrying. Also I have horrible cold at the moment which doesn't help.
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm... Without wanting to be overly complacent here, there does appear to be a little smidgen of overreaction in this thread.

Cases in Western countries have been minimal. Western hospitals have great facilities and isolation units to help contain the spread of infectious disease. This doesn't help the poor people in Sierra Leone etc, who I'm personally more worried about than someone in the UK.

Reminds me of bird flu and SARS all over again. Being told every day this was the end of humanity as we knew it, how huge proportions of us could die.

This is not an easy disease to transmit in general. This is not the flu or the common cold.

This is still a localised outbreak with a few cases as a result of that outbreak cropping up here and there due to the globalised nature of the world nowadays. But I can't seriously believe people are getting jittery about going to SPAIN.
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    ^^^ Everyone should read this.

My knob-head partner has gotten me into so much debt that I welcome Ebola. Seriously though, I couldn't care less at this moment in time.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Died at 24?

Only the poor...The rest ran off to their country homes and waited till people stopped dying.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elena wrote: »
    Erm... Without wanting to be overly complacent here, there does appear to be a little smidgen of overreaction in this thread.

Cases in Western countries have been minimal. Western hospitals have great facilities and isolation units to help contain the spread of infectious disease. This doesn't help the poor people in Sierra Leone etc, who I'm personally more worried about than someone in the UK.

Reminds me of bird flu and SARS all over again. Being told every day this was the end of humanity as we knew it, how huge proportions of us could die.

This is not an easy disease to transmit in general. This is not the flu or the common cold.

This is still a localised outbreak with a few cases as a result of that outbreak cropping up here and there due to the globalised nature of the world nowadays. But I can't seriously believe people are getting jittery about going to SPAIN.

Sensible words like these are not going to sell any copy, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elena wrote: »

Cases in Western countries have been minimal. Western hospitals have great facilities and isolation units.....
    (i) in USA, the first ebola patient 'in the wild' turned up to hospital sick and they sent him away even though he said he'd come from Liberia, possibly infecting others.

(ii) in Spain the very first patients treated, and a nurse gets infected then goes on holiday infecting who knows how many others (2 so far).

So the idea that 'western' hospitals are foolproof has pretty much gone out of the window in the first few cases
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    (i) in USA, the first ebola patient 'in the wild' turned up to hospital sick and they sent him away even though he said he'd come from Liberia, possibly infecting others.

(ii) in Spain the very first patients treated, and a nurse gets infected then goes on holiday infecting who knows how many others (2 so far).

So the idea that 'western' hospitals are foolproof has pretty much gone out of the window in the first few cases

I never said they were foolproof. I said they had great facilities to help stop the spread of infectious disease. Of course there's the possibility mistakes will be made. That appears to be what happened to that poor nurse in Spain.

But things like that raise awareness and alert levels, so the response can be better next time.

There appears to be a misconception that an infected person is naturally going to inflect anyone who they even briefly are near. That's not the case with Ebola. Already one of the people who had contact with the sick nurse in Spain has tested negative. That's not to say that other people can't have been infected, but, well, perspective.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »

No such thing as anything foolproof or a 100% secure, not possible, the chances are high that cases will be found in the uk, but just have to get on with normal everyday life