✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    I is free four. :D:D

I is free five!:D:D
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £380 a month roughly including bills but then I share with a friend, so that's my half of it.
    however we are going to try negotiating rent as our landlord and letting agents are rubbish and refuse to carry out repairs.e.g. there is nothing left to fix the kitchen too any more.
    there is no way I could get a mortgage.
  • Options
    NeverEnoughNeverEnough Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £390 per month mortgage. In five years and seven months it's paid off. Happy days!
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Repaid my mortgage loan this summer so zilch.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rent - £400 a month. Room in a shared house, I share with 3 others.
  • Options
    IamBagpussIamBagpuss Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    £670 a month. Was £1000 a few years ago when it was at a fixed rate. Can cope with some interest rates rises but will have to knock takeaways on the head!
  • Options
    scott789sscott789s Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Through over paying and using the One Account I repaid my mortgage fully 2 years ago and was very satisfied to the point of being smug.

Then I sold up and got a bigger (3 bed) detached house and a new mortgage and started all over again. I now pay £800 per month.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    £5.24 per month, interest only.

When interest rates dropped, I threw every penny I could at the mortgage - and I mean every single penny. I like my current account to have a x.00 balance so if it was x.01 - I'd do a faster payment straight into my mortgage account for 1p to return it to a tidy x.00.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Then they were extremely stupid when they took out the mortgage.! Mortgage rates have always gone up and down (my first mortgage was 13%), and, when deciding what is affordable, they should have considered what would happen to their finances if the rate was to rise by 2 or 3%. Simple.

Not necessarily, people's circumstances change for the worse sometimes. They may have been able to manage the amount quite comfortably when they took the mortgage out.

The rush to blame people for being in difficult situations on here amazes me sometimes.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then they were extremely stupid when they took out the mortgage.! Mortgage rates have always gone up and down (my first mortgage was 13%), and, when deciding what is affordable, they should have considered what would happen to their finances if the rate was to rise by 2 or 3%. Simple.

Why only 2% or 3%? Almost anything can happen to interest rates. If people took account of everything that could possibly happen, then no-one would ever take out a mortgage.

(Mine was 12% at one time too, at about the time that Mr Lamont increased base rates to 15% then 20% on the same day! I'd just become self-employed at the time and even the 12% was 90% of the little income I had. Fortunately those rises were cancelled.)

(Edit: checking the details, it seems the actual base rate rises were from 10% to 12%, then further to 15%. The rise to 20% might have been just media speculation. But I'd already ceased to care...)
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Rent - £400 a month. Room in a shared house, I share with 3 others.

Bloody Nora, £400 a month for just a room, where you live, Buck House ?
    Painful

£254 rent per month for a Housing Assoc. one bed flat.
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £425 rent for a one-bed maisonette in Cheshire.
  • Options
    catgilcatgil Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    £248 a month mortgage inc insurances. I couldn't afford to rent:(
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Painful

Ha, unfortunately not :D

£50 bills on top, but I escape council tax for now being a student :)

Admittedly £400pcm for a room isn't cheap round here, but the cheapest room I've ever seen is £285 per month but it was a box room in a total dump.

My rent at least beats the £450pcm I was paying for a studio flat last year ;-)
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first time I rented, I paid about 50% of my wages for a shared room in a hostel (meals provided). Next time was about 25% of gross wages, for a small bedsit in a long-stay hotel. My first mortgage I think was 45% of gross pay, reducing to 30% after a pay rise. That was for a small studio flat.

Last time I rented, it cost around 30% of my income, for a 2-bedroom semi. The maximum I've paid was maybe 90% as I mentioned before, but that was due to my income plunging.

So perhaps a third of gross income is a reasonable amount to pay to rent, or for a new mortgage.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I is free six, and seven.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Painful

£254 rent per month for a Housing Assoc. one bed flat.

What about this then, Private landlord to pay more than £41,500 for illegal HMO

10 October 2014 | By Laurna Roberts

An Acton landlord has been ordered to pay £41,557 for unlawfully converting a single-family home to accommodate up to 14 people.

Ealing Council enforcement officers discovered that Mr Muhammad Sohaib Anwar of Noel Road, Acton had changed his property to a house of multiple occupation (HMO) without seeking planning permission. The council found he had split the first floor of the family home into sections and changed the layout to create a nine bedroom house.

Tenants were asked to pay up to £400 per month in rent for each room and shared kitchen and bathroom facilities.

Mr Sohaib Anwar was served an enforcement notice to stop using the property as an HMO, remove one of the kitchens and return the property to a single-family home, however he appeared before Ealing Magistrates court where he pleaded guilty to a charge of failing to comply with the enforcement notice for breaching planning permission .

On 29 September, at Isleworth Crown Court, he was given a confiscation order of £31,969 from the benefit of his criminal conduct and sentenced to pay a £2,500 fine and £7,088.95 in costs – bringing the total to £41,557.95.

Julian Bell, council leader, said: ‘Mr Sahaib Anwar was given several chances to comply with planning laws, but instead chose to line his own pockets.’
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then they were extremely stupid when they took out the mortgage

Real wages have gone down for years and a lot of people changed jobs in the recession.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    £900pcm mortgage.
  • Options
    vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £365 rent per month, flat sharing with 1 person, that includes my share of the council tax, TV licence and I think broadband also. Electric and gas are on top but we don't use much. This is in Dundee. So how much do people normally earn before they can get their own home? I'm on £18,500 starter salary, that may go up by 3 grand in the near future I hope...I'm told that's still pretty low though. I don't want to buy a place in a horrible area, just somewhere half decent....
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing paid the mortgage off last year
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Very comforting to read all these people who have paid off their mortgage!

Currently we pay interest only which is about 250 a month but we're shortly moving onto repayments which will be around 700 a month. We'll see how it goes!
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £1300 for a one bed flat in London. The bills aren't high, thank goodness.
  • Options
    RichTeaBiscuitRichTeaBiscuit Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £2091/mo mortgage for a 4 bed house on the Surrey/Sussex border.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mortgage free I am pleased to say, it was wonderful when that last payment was made.