PS4 doesn't show Blu-Ray preview when a disc is inserted.

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
A funny thing I've noticed at a friends who has a PS4 and a PS3, when he inserts a Blu-Ray into the PS4, it just says Blu-Ray disc or something, but on the PS3 it has a picture preview and the film/TV series title, why would Sony have left that out of the PS4 seems a bit strange?

Picture link on FB should work, this is how a movie typically appears on the PS3 - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205758078179547&set=a.2054562932053.2125647.1483973192&type=1&theater

Comments

• Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    They were probably thinking "Hey, how can we get Bill to post another non-story about Sony"

Regards

Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So? So long as it plays the disc then who cares?
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when he inserts a Blu-Ray into the PS4, it just says Blu-Ray disc or something, but on the PS3 it has a picture preview and the film/TV series title

This is a true fact.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if part of sonY's plans to stop ps4 being hacked. Maybe it's possible to put rogue code into the preview header and open a potential exploit. So to stop this ps4 ignores this header.
  • TaintedmeatTaintedmeat Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It used to work with mine but not anymore
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't there a setting for allowing BR's to access the internet? With it on, you'll get thumbnail and titles, off and you'll get nowt.

I'm assuming a lot there. Really, I don't give a monkeys.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Isn't there a setting for allowing BR's to access the internet? With it on, you'll get thumbnail and titles, off and you'll get nowt.

Whilst I agree to an extent - there's no doubt the PS3 is a better media player - for one thing it has an actual remote!
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Whilst I agree to an extent - there's no doubt the PS3 is a better media player - for one thing it has an actual remote!

True but that's not really the specific discussion here.

I'd want proper dlna before the remote comes out, though.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »

That does nothing.

The PS4 simply does not show BD thumbnails.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    That does nothing.

The PS4 simply does not show BD thumbnails.

Although I'm quite critical of the way the PS4 has changed compared to the PS3, I posted this topic as a bit of curiosity, if they had thumbnails and titles on PS3 for the Blu-Ray in the XMB, then logically why would they remove that or not program it on the PS4 menu anyway? The hacking idea makes sense if that's possible but anything else does not, they could simply include it shortly.

What's with the total naysaying attitude of some on this board, I pointed out something I noticed on my friend's PS4 which I think is a worthy enough observation, for some odd reason the title preview of Blu-Rays is missing. I don't know why you're not a little curious about it to be honest, some hopefully are. Games also show this sort of information before you select them, if that was gone, and it just said PS4 game then "title" in bland text, would you not question the aesthetics of that in the menu. For games Sony have gone all out for title information in the PS4 menu, with play time and other bits included. The Blu-Ray bit could have had things like, search for information about this movie on the internet or add a rating to your PSN profile, I'm the sort of person who thinks about what could be, what you CAN do, not sitting there blandly justifying why you can't.

I notice all the little things, a bit like how ITV doesn't bother with any titles when going in and out of ad breaks when they show films, whilst other channels often show a film title card. If you're that apathetic about presentation in the menus so that they don't show an interesting preview title before playing the disc, then why do you even care about HD, if you can just about see the film who cares, save money and only get DVD copies of each film. A lot of people have naysayed HD with that attitude.

The PS3 was/is indeed a good media centre and it's not exactly a good thing that the PS4 has abandoned this rather than building on it even more, I would think that it's probably because Sony who are also big in the entertainment industry and have a movie studio etc have noticed how convenient it makes playing torrented and/or ripped films and TV series, mine is very useful for this. The PS4 though by comparison only lets you play DVDs and Blu-Rays, any downloads would come from the PS Store at rather obnoxious prices like £1.89 an episode. Companies like Sony & Microsoft seem to be increasingly making their boxes more and more proprietary each time.
    I just got the DLNA for sharing the video file playback of my PC when one hard drive went down, if a little slow to show a list of files and start playing it was a great feature.

My wishlist for the PS4 would be by the way.

It's got most of the same apps as the PS3 which is an improvement
    Restore Media Centre capability/DLNA
    Play PS3/PS2/PS1 from the discs.
    Allow PSN purchases to work equally on the PS4
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A funny thing I've noticed at a friends who has a PS4 and a PS3, when he inserts a Blu-Ray into the PS4, it just says Blu-Ray disc or something, but on the PS3 it has a picture preview and the film/TV series title, why would Sony have left that out of the PS4 seems a bit strange?

Picture link on FB should work, this is how a movie typically appears on the PS3 - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205758078179547&set=a.2054562932053.2125647.1483973192&type=1&theater

you get a little picture if you press triangle during playback, along with time elapsed etc

next
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    you get a little picture if you press triangle during playback, along with time elapsed etc

next

Wow OK.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clearly the PS4 is capable of obtaining and displaying this information, but for whatever reason it isn't implemented on the dashboard.

If I remember correctly, it didn't do it on PS3 right at the start either.

As far as development of the OS goes, I imagine it's pretty far down their list of priorities to get sorted.

It might even be a practical issue. The PS4 uses 4:3 images as thumbnails, whereas the ones provided by BRDs seem to be 16:9 which might mean it's not as simple as simply turning the feature on.

Anyway, it's a minor annoyance that you can never be 100% sure which disc is in the drive without playing or ejecting it, but it's not a big deal. Experience suggests it's fairly safe to assume the PS4 contains the disc matching the empty case sitting next to it.

Personally I'd rather they spent their development time on bigger things than fiddling with thumbnails.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yip. Like we are a year into its life and still no resume from standby that was touted as a sales pitch before release
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    if you know what film you're watching, why do you need a preview window, that loops that same couple of seconds?? with no sound??

just a thought
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Yip. Like we are a year into its life and still no resume from standby that was touted as a sales pitch before release
    From what I've heard, they haven't got it working properly yet which is why it hasn't been released.