Upset and worried

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
Forum Member
Hi all

Last night for the 2nd time this week an egg was thrown at our front window. We raced outside but of course they'd scarpered. I am so angry about this as its obvious we are being singled out. No idea why

It might sound petty but its a pain having to go out in the cold at 9.30pm to clean egg off your window not to mention the fact that it woke our kids up both times (its surprisingly loud)

Sorry for moaning but i'm angry and upset that someone round here obviously doesnt like us and theres not much we can do to stop it

I'm already dreading tonight. Have contacted the neighbourhood wardens but theres nothing they can do

Thanks for listening

Lou:(

Comments

• California GirlCalifornia Girl Posts: 7,619
    Forum Member
    Are the wardens part of your neighbourhood policing team? If not, contact your local NPT and speak to them about it. They may not be able to do much but at least they'll be aware of it. Make sure you keep a record of what happened, times, etc. and also make a note of who you have spoken to about it.
  • BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loussie2 wrote: »
    Hi all

Last night for the 2nd time this week an egg was thrown at our front window. We raced outside but of course they'd scarpered. I am so angry about this as its obvious we are being singled out. No idea why

It might sound petty but its a pain having to go out in the cold at 9.30pm to clean egg off your window not to mention the fact that it woke our kids up both times (its surprisingly loud)

Sorry for moaning but i'm angry and upset that someone round here obviously doesnt like us and theres not much we can do to stop it

I'm already dreading tonight. Have contacted the neighbourhood wardens but theres nothing they can do

Thanks for listening

Lou:(

This happened to my next door neighbour last Saturday night and is very unusal in my area. It's not vey nice in general to think that people would do that at all :( .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    Have you asked your neighbours about this. Have any of them suffered (you say that you are being singled out, but maybe everyone is getting hit and not aware of the others and therefore assuming that it's just them)? Also, you could just ask them if they've seen anything going on.

Do you have a security light at the front of your house?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A security light sounds like a good idea. I do hope you aren't being singled out as it were - if it's a group of people doing it they often come up with stupid ideas to annoy people and it goes on for about a week or so in the area. Unfortunately it happened to be air rifles at moving car windows in our area.
  • moondrops1moondrops1 Posts: 3,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try contacting your local police station. They might send a plod around at a specific time just to keep an eye out.
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a camcorder?

Perhaps you can catch them in the act?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I had a problem with strange 1am callers wearing dirty mackintoshes.

I got a cheap CCTV fitted. It is amazing how quickly you get rid of life's annoyances.
  • BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a problem with strange 1am callers wearing dirty mackintoshes.

I got a cheap CCTV fitted. It is amazing how quickly you get rid of life's annoyances.

:eek::eek::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had the same thing happen,and in the end we left the blinds and curtains open to deter whoever it was!

It was like living in a goldfish bowl for a few nights but it stopped the egg throwers:)!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've had this in the past...cleaned the egg off the windows twice...then realised we looked as if it bothered us....so left the next two on the windows for a week or so....no more egg throwers!!!

They do it so you react I think...no reaction no fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've had this in the past...cleaned the egg off the windows twice...then realised we looked as if it bothered us....so left the next two on the windows for a week or so....no more egg throwers!!!

That's exactly what I'd do too. Just leave it all there, shells and all. They are probably watching somewhere, smirking and giggling in the bushes. If you don't bother to even come out of the door,they will soon give up.

I had a similar problem to a lesser degree with kids throwing crap at my car on their way home from school, like bubble gum, sweet wrappers, chips, when it was parked in my drive. The first time I saw them do it, I ran out and threw it back at them yelling. So they did it all the more. Despite my blood boiling, I stopped myself reacting, and they packed up after about 4 days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    flicker wrote: »
    That's exactly what I'd do too. Just leave it all there, shells and all. They are probably watching somewhere, smirking and giggling in the bushes. If you don't bother to even come out of the door,they will soon give up.

I had a similar problem to a lesser degree with kids throwing crap at my car on their way home from school, like bubble gum, sweet wrappers, chips, when it was parked in my drive. The first time I saw them do it, I ran out and threw it back at them yelling. So they did it all the more. Despite my blood boiling, I stopped myself reacting, and they packed up after about 4 days.

Oh yeah...I never said I wasn't jumping around the lounge like a loon cursing the little blighters....they just never got to see me! ;)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I had the same when I worked in my local video shop a few years back.

the manager insisted on putting a large rack of 2nd hand ex-rental video boxes outside the shop for sale, and would insist that they stayed out there all night, right up until the 10pm closing time.

now in the area i live in, that was like party time for the local youth and for the first few days i worked there, they'd regularly come along and tip the rack over. i'd dutifully go out, pick them all up, put them back on the rack and pull the rack back into the shop.

obviously, as they were a little way down the road, watching me do this, they got a kick out of my reaction so kept doing it.

a few nights later, they did it again and i decided to leave about 50 empty video boxes strewn over the main high street for 3 hours.

they stopped tipping it over after that :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we had a similiar thing happen in the past with the neighbour's kids. But we knew who they were. Eventually, we informed the neighbours and the egg-throwing never happened again.
    Ask the other neighbours if they have also been victims of this and if so, have the blinds open and try and spot whoever it is the next time this occurs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sun shines right into my room for a large proportion of the day so I shut my curtains as my lap top is in my window and I can't see the screen if they are open. One day I nearly had a heart attack as there was an almighty bang - some kids had thrown an egg at my window. Unlucky for them I was sat right at my laptop, so I looked straight outside and saw a bunch of kids running away. Also unluckily for them, they were stupid enough to shit on their own doorstep - I knew they were the kids of the neighbours right across the street. I went across the road to tell the said parents what had happened - conveniently they couldn't speak english. I tried to explain that I thought it was only right that they got their kids to clean their windows - it's only what my parents would have done if it had been me when I was little.

The next time I saw the kids I went out and told them that I had seen them throw an egg at my window, they couldn't speak english either but they never did it again either way!

The egg is still on their though, I live in a student house and we don't have a window cleaner, and I live on the first floor so could only stick my hand out of the window to clean part of it off so annoying.

I can only suggest that you keep your windows open, if anyone throws an egg then don't bother cleaning it off, and don't worry, in a few days they will move onto someone else anyway.

Far worse is when kids throw oranges at your window - far more likely to break a single pane if you ask me, and a lot bloody noisier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i had a similar problem except instead of eggs it would be fruit such as apples, bananas and pears, stones that scratched our rented houses windows, rubbish from other peoples bins and believe it or not boogies! this happened in broad daylight and i suspected it to be the little five year old from across the road as he continually does things like this to other people houses tho further up the road, i informed his parents once before about his behaviour and got nothing but abuse, it then turned into him posting rubbish through my letter box and opening my front door and running away, bear in mind i have a small child who was 2 at the time!

i got a camera noted down all the attacks, i kind of became obsessed and would pretend to go out and sit in my sisters apartment up the road and then photograph him doing his acts, i then showed his parents and said if it didnt stop i would contact the police, ive had nothing since from him but god love my nieghbours i caught him last week throwing hand fulls of stones at their windows and kicking their small dog and cats!

the only way to stop it is to get proof, you should get a camera that is connected to your tv so each time someone enters your garden it will switch the camera on straight away that way they cant attack the camera without you realising! also alert your neighbours to the problem and see if they noticed anything, is it at certain times this happens or just any time?!
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moondrops1 wrote: »
    Try contacting your local police station. They might send a plod around at a specific time just to keep an eye out.

This happened to me one year, kids at school thought it'd be funny to egg my bedroom window - its horrible. Dad called the police and they put random patrols on our estate. In the end the kids that were doing it got too cocky/loud and were seen by a neighbour. One of them used to be my friend so I knew exactly who it was. Revenge was sweet, I told her that I couldn't talk about any incidents as it was a police matter, never got a peep out of her since!!:p