Lip Sync - Amstrad

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
Forum Member
I seem to be getting intermittent Lip Sync isues with my Amstrad HD box. These have got worse since the new EPG (I was in the 1st bunch of Amstrads to get the new EPG).

I have adjusted Lip Sync so it is fine with my TV and amplifier, however it doesn’t appear to be constant. I only get he issue on recorded programmes and it effects both SD and HD transmissions. But when I press play the Lip Sync can be way out or spot on.

If it is way out and I stop playback and start again generally its better, but there have been instances where I have had to turn the box off and restart to get the Lip Sync correct. Is this the problem that people are referring to when they say Lip Sync issues, if so is there a fix ?

Comments

• PhiljwadePhiljwade Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a most annoying problem. On one recently recorded episode of Bones (Sky1 HD) I had to use the max adjustment on the HD box plus the max adjustment on my amp to get it anywhere near in sync. Normally I have the HD box set to 40, and no adjustment on the amp - this copes with most programmes. I don't normally see any problem with any SD. You can go for months with no problems. Though most broadcasters have tackled the issues for HD, occasionally one seems to slip through the net. Usual power off reboot can help plus try a planner rebuild. Otherwise it's down to manually setting tweaks for your own combination of kit.
  • BeccyJayne2247BeccyJayne2247 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had this problem when I recorded Fringe on HD on Sunday night - I watched half of it in the morning - it started out of sync so I stopped it and started again and it was fine - then when I tried to watch the rest last night it was all out of sync and stopping the playback didn't help.

Is there anything else I can do/any settings I can change if this happens again?

We've got and Amstrad HD box which we just got installed on Saturday!

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had this for a few days on BBC HD and Channel 4 HD, very annoying. It only happens on playback, not when viewing "live".

Last night I did a planner rebuild (Services 0 0 1 Select) and since then - touch wood - it's been fine. Hope this helps.

PS for anybody wanting to check their settings there's an audio sync test on the BBC HD preview, it loops round about once an hour. You have to set up a manual recording, but it's worth doing as you can use it to adjust your amp's delay perfectly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    My symptoms have now got worse, They still only occur on recorded programmes, I have tried turning off, and planner rebuild but it has got so bad tonight that a person could say a whole sentence and then the lips move, so delay must be in seconds rather than ms

Any other ideas, I have a new disk I purchased to increase to 1gig, is this likely to help or make things worse. I am loathed to call out sky they are going to charge me £60 for a call out to fix a problem they have created with the new EPG, and probably give me a reconditioned box to replace my perfectly good one (with the old EPG)
  • Robin ArmitageRobin Armitage Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    My Amstrad box is gradually getting worse with this problem. Only on recorded HD programs . The video is out of sync not the audio so adjusting the delay makes no difference. It seems to occur more with a program out of a stack ( mite be coincendence). A planner rebuild cures it for the day then starts the next. The new EPG has introduced a drop in picture quality ( just noticable) and sync problems and extra clicks for doing simple tasks. Has ruined the HD experience for me since being a day 1 adopter. It is no longer a premeium product and has been dumbed down for the masses. People taking up HD for £49 see an improvement but dont see what was once a fantastic service. The quality on nearly all channels including the doc channels has dropped and only live sport seems to be holding its own. Huge logos, the advertising of other programs in another, etc etc and even SKY 1 HD has to remind you before programs that you are watching in HD! The extra drop in BBC HD is just the final straw I reckon.!:mad:
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might help
    Hi,

I have been using the power down/up trick to correct Amstrad recorded HD lip sync issues, but this does not always work.

I have noticed that if you switch to a HD channel before playing back a HD recording, the lip sync problem is resolved.

I have found that if I am watching a SD channel before playing back a HD recording then I have the lip sync problem 90% of the time.

I have the box set to Auto, maybe the people with Amstrad boxes that do not get the lip sync problems are using the 1080i setting and this prevents the lip sync issues from happening?

It seems to be happening when the tv re-syncs from a SD to HD resolution, then the audio is thrown out of whack.

I would use 1080i myself but cannot enjoy 4:3 transmissions as they are stretched to fit my screen and everything looks flat (or is there a setting somewhere to compensate for that?)

So to anyone with Amstrad lip sync issues using Auto resolution - try watching a HD broadcast before going to your HD recording... Not an ideal situation, but hopefuly a good work around until a software update (??)

on the picture quality front, have you checked it's not the fact that they fixed the contrast setting so that you can adjust it, and it will have defaulted to a different setting that the one it was stuck on on the old EPG (sorry can't remember which way round they were)
  • mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got an Amstrad box and I also experience lip sync problems on live broadcasts, not recorded especially when watching the movie channels.

As soon as the soundtrack goes out of sync I have to turn on my amp and the lip sync issue is sorted.
    Sometimes it does correct itself if I leave it for a while or by changing channel.
    However this has always happened even before the EPG update. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    I have tried the various ideas suggested here, installed a new HDD, but I still seem to have the problem on playback. I therefore phoned sky today and got the expected outcome planner rebuild adjust the time delay, all of course I have tried, therefore send out an engineer and will probably replace box. Not what I want as I don’t want a refurbished box to replace my perfectly good box, problem is software (New EPG) not box.

Eventually spoke to a supervisor who advised me it is a known problem and they are working on a fix, she has escalated the problem. I will be contacted ASAP, not sure what this means but wont be holding my breath. If I don’t hear anything in a week or so will contact again
  • PhiljwadePhiljwade Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noticed last night very poor sync when BBC1 News switched to the regional report (we watch 981) it was well off, but when it went back to the national weather was OK again. We have a Tommo box with new PSU going through an amp via optical.
  • SobellSobell Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    This might help

on the picture quality front, have you checked it's not the fact that they fixed the contrast setting so that you can adjust it, and it will have defaulted to a different setting that the one it was stuck on on the old EPG (sorry can't remember which way round they were)

Thank you!

I have an Amstrad HD box, fitted in December, and have had terrible lip sync problems on HD recordings. I have picture output set to 1080i. I tried switching to the HD channel the recording was from, immediately before playing the recording, and the lip sync was then fine!

I had almost resolved to only record from SD channels because of the distraction of the lip sync!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Another lipsync correction is to change the actual lipsync setting in the STB by just a fraction and save.

This tip was on another forum so I claim no originality.

Shouldn't make too much difference to normal lipsync but corrects lipsync fault.

You can if you wish change it back to its original value and save again.
    Forum Member
    Anyone still getting lip sync issues on recorded HD programmes during playback ?

I ask as I have jsut a had a long telphoen call with Sky where they still deny there is a common problem.

SKY believe it is a HDD problem and that if a planner rebuild does not solve the problem then a full rest will, however I will of course loose everything I have recorded. I have replaced the hardrive and this has made no difference so I dont believe it is a HDD issue.

I would urge anyone seeing this as a problem to contact sky so at least they get some idea of the problem, if it was just my box then I would let them come and replace it but it seems to be more than just mine
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Still getting the problem here, bloody frustrating, only happens on recorded HD (Anytime too).

If it happens, switching to an SD channel till a picture appears, then over to an HD till the picture appears will fix it for a while. Unless of course I am recording two things of the same type (ie 2xHD or 2xSD)

Output set to automatic over HDMI, but it also happens over the SCART.

So very frustrating. Had a flawless Samsung till it keeled over, replaced by a Pace with shocking picture quality then this, which has been a flaky pain in the backside. Would take a a fair bit of bartering with Sky to get them to move on this though :(