VM 50Mb - DLink 615 Router - Recommend an 802.11n NIC

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, I had VM 50MB broadband installed 2 days ago. Installer didn't leave a USB wireless dongle, so my PCs are currently running on 802.11g NICs.

I want to buy a couple of 802.11n NIC for the desktop machines and use the USB dongle for my laptop.

Can anyone recommend a good 802.11n PCI NIC? How good is the throughput and WiFi reception? Stability? Drivers?

I am considering cabling CAT-5e to the bedrooms (where the PCs are), but this would involve lots of drilling etc. On the plus side, I am a telco installer and could do this, it's just more work than I want if an 802.11n can provide enough throughput to maximise my 50Mb broadband.

Superhet.

Comments

• artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why didn't the installer leave you a dongle? You get 1 free dongle with the package. I'd get onto VM and ask for it.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So would I, wonder if the installer has put it in their own pocket maybe?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have got my 'free' dongle if I hadn't asked the installer for it. I wonder if there are loads of D-Link DWA-140s on eBay....? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    Why didn't the installer leave you a dongle? You get 1 free dongle with the package. I'd get onto VM and ask for it.

The installer was not usually on installs, he was a repair tech who was picking up some installs due to demand, so not surprised he overlooked something, I've already called VM customer services and they are mailing out a free dongle. I'll use this with my laptop.

I had to call CS about a couple of things and I have to say I'm pleased with their support. Called them from a mobile and they offered to call me back every time to save my phone bill. English staff, and very helpful. No long queues on the phone either.

Makes a change to report a pleasant expereince with a call centre!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roooty wrote: »
    I wouldn't have got my 'free' dongle if I hadn't asked the installer for it. I wonder if there are loads of D-Link DWA-140s on eBay....? :rolleyes:
    There are a great many of them. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    are you meant to get one even with the 20Mb package? I got a 615 last week with no dongle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    browney2k8 wrote: »
    are you meant to get one even with the 20Mb package? I got a 615 last week with no dongle.
    No you don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    just get the cheapest you can find, there are only a couple of chipsets out there, so whatever you buy they all use the same inside. i have two one netgear and one linksys (both broadcom chipset) reception is strong everywhere with speeds of 270Mbps all over the house (300 is max) , i paid about 20 quid each from amazon for them, btw get a free app called inssider it will tell you what channel all your neighbours wireless is on so you can pick a channel that is free, this is the single biggest factor on speed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already use inSSIDer, as my area is riddled with neighbour's WLans.

I found this at amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000VK9BZE/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21

Gets very good reviews from most customers, and at £26 it seems good value for money. I think I'll try one, if that works, I'll get another for the second PC. I can then use the dongle for my laptop.
  • zingzing Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it's £26 you shouldn't have to pay. You should ask VM for your free one. Fair enough if you want to get extras, but you should at least get the one you're entitled to :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    Roooty wrote: »

same here, my installer even tried to make out you dont get a free dongle, if he really thought tha,t why did he run to his van as soon as he knew i knew what i was on about. :rolleyes:
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you guys not read properly - OP's getting his one free dongle and is going to use it on his notebook.

For desktops, you could go 802.11n but I would recommend homeplugs instead, it's a more expensive option but since you are paying for 50Mb, perhaps worth the expense?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    i would not recommend homeplugs over wireless n for a start homeplugs are slower and you are limited to wherever there is a plug, wireless you can go into the garden etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Do you guys not read properly - OP's getting his one free dongle and is going to use it on his notebook.

For desktops, you could go 802.11n but I would recommend homeplugs instead, it's a more expensive option but since you are paying for 50Mb, perhaps worth the expense?

do you not read/understand we know hes getting it, but as with me and many others, if we never asked we wouldn't have got it

so there must be loads of people that don't get one, as they never knew they was entitled to one, so the installer just fits the modem/router

i personally know 1 other person this has happened to, and until i told her she should have got one, she hadn't the foggiest about a free dongle

so my question is, why are the installers "forgetting" to give the dongle to a lot of people, and from my own experience and from reading forums, it is a lot of people to
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »

I use Homeplugs (200Mb) and they get my vote too. I've a mobile device that uses WiFi, but I get a more reliable connection with the Homeplugs. I've got a few others dotted about for security cameras and network printer/scanner, NAS etc.

But just as WiFi is dependant on your locale, Homeplugs work or fail based on the suitability of wiring in the your house.