Anyone ever sold their free sims, how much for???

flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
Forum Member
I was just wondering.

I was at a market yesterday and i wanted a DKU-5 cable that was on sale for £8.

I happened to have 10 free O2 sims on me and so i said to the guy how much if i give you the sims.

he said well what do you want? and not really knowing howmuch they were worth i said how about we just swap. which he seemed fairly happy with.

I just wondered how everyone else has got on????

Comments

• i8sky!i8sky! Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Well, you can buy the 02 genie sims in the shops for £12 each, so I think your offer was over-generous. Personally, I would've offered 2 SIM's at the most!

In regards to your question, I sold a few for a fiver each and have a load at home which I'm hoping to make a few quid off eBay for them. It realy is surprising how very few people realise that you can get them free almost anytime via the web! :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds about the going rate, not much profit in it for the market trader though.

With the proliferation of free O2 sims ( I mentioned some time ago that I thought they may try to flood the market to try to prevent the sale of their sims on eBay), and the possibility of buying them direct from O2 for 99p, Vodafone ones for £1.99 and other networks selling theirs direct for similar prices, I don't know why people pay £10 from a stall holder or newsagent

Personally I have trouble giving away O2 sims. Did see 1 local shop trying to sell them (yes, the ones that say 'here is your free sim') for £19.99 - the packets did look pretty faded and covered in dust :D
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I think he could probably sell them for a couple of quid. People seem to like the idea of buying a sim form a market stall.

i thought it was a fare offer.

But i agree, if i wanted a sim, i'd buy it online with the free credit that goes with.

O2 are definately flooding the market.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    The price of sims seems to be dropping quite a lot recently. Dawson seems to be right about o2 flooding the market, I wonder if this will stop once Telefonica get hold of them.

The average price on ebay for o2 sims seems to be around the £1 level at the moment, only 18 months ago you could sell a sim for more like £5. I personally would try and sell to a market trader for about £1.25 at the moment, they won't take much more and you'll have even more trouble shifting Orange or Virgin simcards. Orange will only get about 50p as they're available on the website for £1.

If you've got a bigger stock pile the easier your job will be to shift, anything over 20 simcards in bundle gives the best opportunity to sell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bung a free sim in with the odd phones I sell, it seems to push the price up by a fiver. Sims on there own are probably only worth 50p!