Options

Forum design feedback

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Way to bright, my eyes are sensitive so it is quite blinding for me and I loved the old layout of the whole of the digital spy site now it has put me off using the site. Either change it back/give us the option of using either or change the colour so it is not as bright. Also it is quite harder to find things I want to look at compared to before.. where is the misc section?
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not that bad at all i think. I think the page can be more strectched across the screen and the bar at the top could be smaller but overall i am fine with the new look. I think people need to just get used to it.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mobile version is much better, I've just changed to it.

So have I. At least it's useable now, but I still don't like it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Just logged on not too long ago and thought there was something wrong with the site, (like they were working on the real DS site and this was a temp back-up). There was no need to change from the familiar format which stood out for it's ease of use, and good layout. The sky blue background (in smaller text-boxes) was easier on the eye for reading, I don't think this is. This looks like something knocked up back in 1998 or something using manual HTML coding on notepad. Personally would like to see the old one back. Stick with a winning formula.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    OMG DS, what have you done. It is headache inducing horrid. Everything is out of proportion. The colour scheme hurts your eyes. You have really dropped the ball.

In which case, I'd suggest using this http://justgetflux.com/ (there's something similar for Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux&hl=en_GB).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    It's obvious that they want to fit less posts on each page so they can tell advertisers about their high page-click count. I suggest everyone not already using Mozilla goes there and gets a free adblocker.
  • Options
    stesupforitstesupforit Posts: 4,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell is with the full stop? Who thought a full stop would be a bright idea?
  • Options
    TinaWTinaW Posts: 693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopeless on ipad, I have closed tab and have to use main computer to read anything. Shall have to look for another entertainment forum to read. I like to sit comfortably with the ipad and watch tv at the same time as reading the forums.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This new look feels more like how I would have imagined DS at the start, over a decade ago. It looks pre-historic. Change for the sake of change is always a mistake. I agree with all the previous posts, the colour mix is shocking, the font is harder to read, and this looks like it was designed for 4:3 format screens when most are on 16:9 widescreen nowadays. A massive retrograde step. It will affect my frequency as a user.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    So have I. At least it's useable now, but I still don't like it.

Another one who has had to do this on a BLOODY DESKTOP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't see all of the text as it disappeared off the right side.

Zooming out has sorted that, but text is now very small.

Sorry, I just don't see how it is any better than the old format. How exactly is this supposed to be an improvement in any way? I wouldn't mind the smaller text if the other benefits made it worthwhile..but there are no benefits or improvements. Utterly pointless.

There is some very, very good forum software available on the internet. Surely someone at DS could review these and choose one which will improve the experience for everyone?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    There's a core of something good here, it's just that the font sizes, the font colours, the background colours, the general contrast, and the massive over-use of white space in a forum environment are totally bonkers.
    Surely the core is what you described as "bonkers"?

There is no way I can use this forum for more than about 10 mins.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I like clean design but the contrast between colours, especially between the text and the background in some areas, is painful. Reeks of design by someone who doesn't know about accessibility.

It reeks of design-by-hardcopy. These colours would look lovely on physical presentation boards (where the contrast/size/brightness issues would not be obvious at all)
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a core of something good here, it's just that the font sizes, the font colours, the background colours, the general contrast, and the massive over-use of white space in a forum environment are totally bonkers.

JUST??? :D
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not an improvement. The text as I'm typing this reply is blurry and small. But if I make it bigger then when I return to the thread it will be ginormous.

The layout in the threads is not efficient. Much too much blank space and oversized dividers.

I cannot imagine who thought this was an improvement. It's quite obviously a step backwards.

edit: The one good thing is the grey on white text (once it's a reasonable size)
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    TinaW wrote: »
    Hopeless on ipad, I have closed tab and have to use main computer to read anything. Shall have to look for another entertainment forum to read. I like to sit comfortably with the ipad and watch tv at the same time as reading the forums.

I'm posting from my laptop but a lot of the time I use my mum's iPad. Sad to hear that DS will be difficult to view on an iPad.

:( Not good, DS. Please change it back.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the colour and style BUT using an iPad and a section of the screen on the right hand side is missing.
  • Options
    JennyukJennyuk Posts: 20,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant stand the new look, it's like ive got snow blindness. :mad:
  • Options
    luckylegsluckylegs Posts: 7,400
    Forum Member
    000Mark000 wrote: »
    Why don't you place a P45 button on the irritating, oversized and obtrusive menu bar, then your 'in-house design team' can do us all a favour and click on it!

:D:D
  • Options
    FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    Apart from
    No right
    I have hube effin great
    banner thing at the top meaning I have approx
    One inchh of
    reading space:mad:
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    The previous forum did look very dated, to be fair.

It's the kind of design that I imagine looked gorgeous on hard-copy presentation boards at the design meeting. Not so much in reality.

I've been using it 20 minutes.... my eyes are watering.

As are mine. I keep pressing my finger against my eye to relieve the pressure pain.:( And I already wear glasses to read stuff off the screen.

I'm all for design change, but this just does not work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I'm sure it's work in progress (at least I hope it is!) but the biggest problems at the moment are (i) it ain't wide enough, and (b) some of the forum controls have gone AWOL ... eg. how do I get back to General Discussions?

The grey on grey really doesn't work for me! Looks like an old, grubby newspaper.

Crisp! We need "crisp"! Clear and user-friendly ... not "trendy" colours!

http://i.imgur.com/BeOg9Ji.jpg
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm using a tablet and the end of long posts are being cut off.

Anyway to rectify it?:confused:
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All DS needed to do was add a few small changes to the original layout rather than doing a full-on overhaul of the forum.
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The black and white is a poor choice. It is dull and unimaginative and reminds me of websites where you think they couldn't afford a designer and have gone for an amateurish self design. The site also appears harder to see and to read.

The top set of headings in black text (including the large bold Digital Spy which is too heavy) on white space looks stark, dull and unattractive. It has nothing about it. No design flair, colour or anything to commend it. And the black thick line underneath it is a killer.

Please get rid of the black funeral bands across the top and down the righthand side. And then what on earth is the idea of two blobs of black further down, with writing that one cannot read? Besides being really depressing to look at.

The posts in dark greyish text on white don't look attractive or for some reason even easy to read. The white background to posts is just too much white. Again there is nothing attractive or pleasing here. A little hint of colour would help soften the stark boring look. The grey surrounding bands are all right but the electric blue text on darker grey is a little harder to read than what was there before.

DS was always attractive looking, easy on the eyesight and very pleasant to read and to use. Now I have reservations about a lot of this design with its uninspiring black and white. And it is a mish mash, retaining some of the old dark blue buttons and dark blue background, e.g. to highlight topics on Forum Jump.
This discussion has been closed.