Do you believe in God?

Comments

• Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,039
    Forum Member
    Daisydoes wrote: »
    To be honest I'm done with reading such bollocks on these threads!! My faith is unshakeable yet it gets so tiresome when atheists continue to insult those with faith! 99% of the time all the comments are negative and it's usually angry atheists who are behind it! It's just fear

Even when I was a believer, I took the view that unshakable, unchallengable faith was the worst kind. If we do not question what we believe, what we know, then so much progress and knowledge would be lost to us.

I think many of us on the athiest side of the discussion take a great deal of care not to be insulting to believers (some do not - true on both sides of the argument). I certainly would never use the some of the terms used by others (deluded, skyfairy etc) just because I happen to think you are wrong.

And, despite what you may think, most of us aren't angry. We are just sharing our beliefs with the same openness that believers do. After all, witnessing is an important part of the Christian faith, is it not? So, turnabout is fair play. Some people are annoyed by the special concessions made to faith within our state and schools, but that is a different question.

And the belief has nothing to do with fear. But as the topic was 'Do you believe in God?', those of us who answered in the negative have just as much right to espouse our position as believers. Both sides can challenge the logic, assumptions and conclusions of the other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    You're being paranoid.

Nope!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    If that rule is worship me or I will wipe you and your brothers and sisters off the face of the planet (as your OT God's rules say then yes I would have some concerns about the standards of parenting being employed.

Such anger and fear!! Such a shame
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Nope!

Okay, let's go with your version. Why do you think all these atheists are so angry?
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    Have you not read some of these posts??? Try looking at some other "religious" posts all you see is angry atheists

Indeed but you are only seeing that. All you are seeing is angry atheists perhaps because that is all you are looking for. You are seeing offense where none exists. e.g. You just accused another Christian of faith bashing.
    Forum Member
    Such anger and fear!! Such a shame

Such exaggeration. :D Calm down Daisy. I have been having a long and quite good tempered debate with imrightok. Please join in by all means you may find it rewarding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed but you are only seeing that. All you are seeing is angry atheists perhaps because that is all you are looking for. You are seeing offense where none exists. e.g. You just accused another Christian of faith bashing.

After what I've been called on these forums just for being Christian you get defensive!!! In my experience most of those who start the threads are atheists intend on being rude and thick!!!
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After what I've been called on these forums just for being Christian you get defensive!!! In my experience most of those who start the threads are atheists intend on being rude and thick!!!

I think if you don't want people to be condescending you have to stop provoking their condescension.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,039
    Forum Member

Some athiests are rude. So are some believers.

Some athiests are thick. So are some believers.

Most of us (on both sides) are capable of having a sensible discussion, challenging each others beliefs (which is the whole point)
  • The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How do you think your God would like you to behave in this situation?
    Forum Member

I myself have taken other atheists to task for what I see as causing unnecessary offense. I understand your anger because I have been called unpleasant things and asked offensive questions by believers but I don't think returning our anger achieves much. :)
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a good point, one I've always wondered. I don't understand the logic behind it either.

Jesus dies = sins forgiven.

I don't see the connection, why would God choose to forgive our sins only after killing his own son?

:D bonkers isnt it!

anyway you just know someone will call it a sacrifice....

Only the bully attempts to gain respect by threats. Do you seriously propose this sort of stuff as a reason to worship anything?

exactly! but that what christianity does.... YOU are a SINNER, YOU need redemption, accept christ or BURN in HELL forever... huh great reason to believe....not.
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    The crucifixion was the last act of sacrifice. The Hebrew religion requires religious sacrifice of Lamb to atone for Sin. Christ is the Christian sacrificial lamb.

The suffering and shedding of blood, it's awful and horrific but it's not random and has purpose for Christians and all people.

.... and there we go..

nonsense. it was no sacrifice, jesus is with daddy in heaven. it would be a sacrifice IF jesus was in hell, dead, displaced from daddy... but he isnt, and as he was 'god incarnate' the pain of crucifiction was nothing.

To be honest, if I was God, I'd abolish religion

good point! why have religion? why does god need it?:D
    I think my faith is based on something tangible I.e. The person of Jesus Christ who it is widely believed exists. )

prove it.

sorry but if he exists as you proclaim then he can be identified as such.
    nethwen wrote: »
    This thread seems to have gone all negative. Shame really.

negetive? id call it realistic. you get some common sense posts highlighting the ridiculous claims christianity insisnts needs to be accepted in order to believe and you dont like it.
    I see the faith bashing continues unabated this morning....😴😴😴😴

i see the non believer bashing goes on this morning.

THICK? athiests THICK?... hey, we arent the ones who are bilndly accepting miraculous birth, turning water into wine, miracles that go against the laws of nature, the BONKERS theory of christianity that makes not 1 jot of sense.

the non believers on this whole thread have pointed out huge flaws, we have asked questions, we are using reason and logic, we arent the ones who believe a totally unsubstantiated dark age account as real.

meanwhile ive not seen 1 post by you where you can submit a reason why you believe. typical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agh, it's the SULLA quote/reply post from hell!

Wait... that ain't SULLA.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D bonkers isnt it!

anyway you just know someone will call it a sacrifice....

exactly! but that what christianity does.... YOU are a SINNER, YOU need redemption, accept christ or BURN in HELL forever... huh great reason to believe....not.

.... and there we go..

nonsense. it was no sacrifice, jesus is with daddy in heaven. it would be a sacrifice IF jesus was in hell, dead, displaced from daddy... but he isnt, and as he was 'god incarnate' the pain of crucifiction was nothing.

good point! why have religion? why does god need it?:D

prove it.

sorry but if he exists as you proclaim then he can be identified as such.

negetive? id call it realistic. you get some common sense posts highlighting the ridiculous claims christianity insisnts needs to be accepted in order to believe and you dont like it.

i see the non believer bashing goes on this morning.

THICK? athiests THICK?... hey, we arent the ones who are bilndly accepting miraculous birth, turning water into wine, miracles that go against the laws of nature, the BONKERS theory of christianity that makes not 1 jot of sense.

the non believers on this whole thread have pointed out huge flaws, we have asked questions, we are using reason and logic, we arent the ones who believe a totally unsubstantiated dark age account as real.

meanwhile ive not seen 1 post by you where you can submit a reason why you believe. typical.

That's what I call negative. Negative and confrontational, You correctly predicted that o called the death of Christ sacrifice, that is precisely what it was. He gave his LIFE :) and believe it or not he did it for you and for me.

He didn't have to do it, you know. That's one of the amazing things about the cross. It's mind boggling to get around. God shared suffering in us through Jesus in the form of a Son but that person made the choice in Gethsemane to go to the cross,

You and I have different views but I think it's a pretty amazing thing. :/
    Forum Member

Is there anything you'd like to discuss Daisy, beyond how horrible you think atheists are?
    Forum Member
    That's what I call negative. Negative and confrontational, You correctly predicted that o called the death of Christ sacrifice, that is precisely what it was. He gave his LIFE :) and believe it or not he did it for you and for me.

He didn't have to do it, you know. That's one of the amazing things about the cross. It's mind boggling to get around. God shared suffering in us through Jesus in the form of a Son but that person made the choice in Gethsemane to go to the cross,

You and I have different views but I think it's a pretty amazing thing. :/

But in the story Jesus didn't actually give up his life. And of course he didn't have to do it.

The truly amazing thing is that Christians accept the crucifixion as either necessary or wonderful. It's horrible! And if god wanted to forgive us for how he made us he could've done it in a million and one lovely ways. But no, concoct a nasty, violent story that many won't believe in anyway because, for one, it's simply reflective of the barbaric cultural practices of the time.

And, to borrow Labi Siffre's rhyme

As god knew
    What Judas would do
    In the final accounting
    Who betrayed who?

The morals in this story are pretty shoddy from start to finish and the idea of a powerful and loving entity orchestrating it all is absolutely appalling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    Is there anything you'd like to discuss Daisy, beyond how horrible you think atheists are?

Nope I'm good 😎
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But in the story Jesus didn't actually give up his life. And of course he didn't have to do it.

The truly amazing thing is that Christians accept the crucifixion as either necessary or wonderful. It's horrible! And if god wanted to forgive us for how he made us he could've done it in a million and one lovely ways. But no, concoct a nasty, violent story that many won't believe in anyway because, for one, it's simply reflective of the barbaric cultural practices of the time.

As god knew
    What Judas would do
    In the final accounting
    Who betrayed who?

The morals in this story are pretty shoddy from start to finish and the idea of a powerful and loving entity orchestrating it all is absolutely appalling.

Of course the act of Crucifixion of Jesus is horrible, horrific, nasty and every appropriate superlative I can think of. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, including Jesus. But there is a reason why Good Friday is called what it is.

Like you, I don't have the theological knowhow to explain just why it was neccessary but I do think it has a lot to do with what I shared in my last post, about the sacrificial lambs, the shedding of blood. I don't think Jesus was thrilled or happy about the prospect, but he predicted it many times and knew what was coming, what he had to do.

I don't know how people can claim Jesus didn't give up his own life (unless of course you don't believe in the story) He absolutely did. He was put to death on a cross. The Romans made damn sure of it. The notion that on the third day he came back to life, changes nothing! He did die. Yes he came back to life on the third day, which is another amazing thing. I don't believe too many people (more than I realised actually) have managed that feat, certainly after an extended period of death.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I wouldn't mind being crucified if I could be guaranteed eternal bliss.

That said, I wonder if there was ever a moment in the Garden when Jesus thought, 'hang on, Dad, this wasn't part of the deal!'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I wouldn't mind being crucified if I could be guaranteed eternal bliss.

You really wouldn't! :o This is a subject I do not take lightly.
    That said, I wonder if there was ever a moment in the Garden when Jesus thought, 'hang on, Dad, this wasn't part of the deal!'

I don't know about that specifically, but I can bet he had doubts, for sure!
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As god knew
    What Judas would do
    In the final accounting
    Who betrayed who?

100% agree.

If Judas had free will, what would have happened if he hadn't betrayed Jesus or the authorities refused to execute him?
    Forum Member
    Nope I'm good 😎

Fab .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    100% agree.

If Judas had free will, what would have happened if he hadn't betrayed Jesus or the authorities refused to execute him?

Someone else would have, I'd imagine!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that rule is worship me or I will wipe you and your brothers and sisters off the face of the planet (as your OT God's rules say) then yes I would have some concerns about the standards of parenting being employed.
    Yes, it's always a bit of a surprise to hear someone, as with the Christadelphian on Nicky Campbell/s programme, to see genocide described as a proportionate response to misbehaviour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone else would have, I'd imagine!
    What if they hadn't? You said he didn't have to choose to die, but what if he'd decided not to and there was no self-sacrifice to shock people with?
This discussion has been closed.