Options

Cabinet Reshuffle- Rumours and what you have heard?

Comments

• Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    TV is a visual medium. It doesn't matter what you say if you look like Gove or Redwood. Anyway Chief Whip is not a role compatible with a high public profile. 'Enhanced role' is probably just a verbal sop and Gove will be kept out of the voters' sight before the election.

:D I'm not quite sure where that leaves Ed Miliband, then.

Your views on what the Chief Whip does are irrelevant. Gove's new role has already been spelt out to the press - Cameron has said that Gove will have "an enhanced role in campaigning and doing broadcast media interviews"
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Hmmm... the Eagle Sisters, Harman, Balls...

They'll probably lead with Umunna as he looks good on TV even though he's lacking in any substance.

Totally disagree. Most political commentators are saying that he'll be right at the front of the campaign.
    Well Angela Eagle is going to be kept rather busy by William Hague (looking forward to Thursdays :D) but you're probably right about Umunna and Harman.
  • Options
    ned flandersned flanders Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry I haven't had time to read all of the posts but does anyone know where the new Education Secretary Nicky Morgan stands on the stopping of incremental pay rises for teachers? Or any other background info on her? :)
  • Options
    iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esther McVey stays in the same job but gets to attend cabinet.She will be gutted
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I haven't had time to read all of the posts but does anyone know where the new Education Secretary Nicky Morgan stands on the stopping of incremental pay rises for teachers? Or any other background info on her? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicky_Morgan_(politician)

To be fair to her, she's only been in the job 5 minutes and probably hasn't even found her office yet so it's a little early to expect detailed policy announcements from her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically . . . . . . Cameron has just announced the end of government business for the parliament and the start of preparations for a 8 month long general election campaign that will kick off with the conferences?

you got it ! hurrah !
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    How is Gove appearing on TV going to help anyone but Labour?

I like Gove and think he comes over well on TV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicky_Morgan_(politician)

To be fair to her, she's only been in the job 5 minutes and probably hasn't even found her office yet so it's a little early to expect detailed policy announcements from her.

any policy announcements will be included in the manifesto next april
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Esther McVey stays in the same job but gets to attend cabinet.She will be gutted

After being caught out either being ignorant/dishonest (delete as applicable) with the most basic of facts re DLA and the unemployment figures, plus her role in the utter chaos at the DWP she is very lucky to still have a job.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Politically, Gove is a heavy hitter and if anyone can ensure the Tory Party are all singing from the same songbook - he can. All things considered, if I was a Labour supporter, I'd have preferred him at Education and let Lansley continue to sleep his way through the job.

Agreed. Plus moving your big guns out of direct firing range of Labour gives them less to shoot at. Could be a win win
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Agreed. Plus moving your big guns out of direct firing range of Labour gives them less to shoot at. Could be a win win

Yes indeed.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Heseltine says that Ken Clarke is bigger than the Conservative Party. That means approximately "and I Michael Heseltine am bigger than the Conservative Party too". Either the Tories are very much reduced, which in truth they probably are, or the 1980s and 1990s crowd never quite "got" that no player is ever bigger than a team, a fact that actually is equally true. That is, even in a team of Mr Big Potatoes like the Conservative Party that promotes the individual above society and everyone else. In contrast, the commentators today say that Bill Hague was once a potentially huge figure who ended up shrinking daily. Clearly he felt that it indicated he should leave. Some might argue that it is only on getting to that point that a politician is able to make sensible mature high level decisions.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much, yes. With a fixed term Parliament that was always going to happen.

Enjoy the rest of the summer.

An 8 month long election campaign . . . . . . . .. I suppose it adds more weight to the theory that the UK is destined to always follow in the US's footsteps.

It sounds dangerous for Labour though. Most of the easy punching bags on the front bench have now ducked out of the public gaze. Cameron gets to talk about the future and moving forward and less about all the unpopular things the government did in the past. It's a good tactic, the voters have short memories.

In an alternative universe there's a well known Labour shadow cabinet of talented individuals that are now able to attack the 'newbies' on their lack of experience. In our world there's a bunch of people who weren't good enough to beat Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like welfare minister Mike Penning has a promotion.What sort of job could he have got?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like welfare minister Mike Penning has a promotion.What sort of job could he have got?

A former soldier and fireman. At least he's someone who has done a proper job.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no sense of honesty about David Cameron, in fact he makes Blair seem reliable in comparison.

I can well believe that after a Conservative victory in May2015 he would just bring back into the cabinet a load of male chums.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member

Although he has also played a role in the chaos that is the DWP, to his credit Penning has at least showed a modicum of understanding of the issues and a modicum of honesty in acknowledging some of the problems, which is something that his predecessors, McVey and Miller, certainly did not. It would have been nice, however, if Penning (as Minister for Disabled People) could have explained or pointed us to the document that explains this mythical new, modern understanding of disability that ministers keep going on about.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    A former soldier and fireman. At least he's someone who has done a proper job.

Lest They Forget -

"Tory frontbencher Mike Penning claimed for dog bowl" : "The £2.99 stainless steel vessel was......bought......in June 2005 with two sets of coasters, 10 coathangers, a ladle, a pair of scissors and two “cute dog fun mugs” from the home furnishings shop Dunelm Mill. He said that he should not have charged for the dog bowl....... “I apologise sincerely and will pay back.” In June 2007, the former Grenadier Guard said Army cooks were struggling to feed troops on £1.51 a day, while military dogs were being fed on more than £2.63 a day. That same year, he moved to a larger property in Hemel Hempstead...........Mr Penning claimed £10,049 in stamp duty in February 2007 and was paid £8,750.55, before submitting expenses for the painting of two bedrooms and to fix his roof. The MP, whose constituency is 29 miles from Westminster, also charged £428.01 for a radiator in his cellar and £1,632 for fencing".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5369123/MPs-expenses-Tory-frontbencher-Mike-Penning-claimed-for-dog-bowl.html
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Absolutely right. This is putting the pieces on the board for the 2015 campaign.

It'll be interesting to see how Ed responds.

Ed's response will probably be along the lines of accusing Cameron of running scared, trying to con the electorate, weak this, weak that blah blah blah

Infact it would only be interesting if it weren't.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Ed's response will probably be along the lines of accusing Cameron of running scared, trying to con the electorate, weak this, weak that blah blah blah

Infact it would only be interesting if it weren't.

My apologies, I meant how Ed responds with his own reshuffle. He's now seen the lie of the land and has the advantage of being able to position his pieces where he thinks the threats will be strongest.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    There is no sense of honesty about David Cameron, in fact he makes Blair seem reliable in comparison.

I can well believe that after a Conservative victory in May2015 he would just bring back into the cabinet a load of male chums.

Course he will, He is so transparent and gutless his failure to deal with IDS a man who has failed at every ministerial position he has held is proof enough, In the real world IDS would be on the dole now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

Any evidence of that or is it your paranoid imagination getting out of control?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't this reshuffle absolute proof of the cynical dishonesty of David Cameron?

It's so fake and contrived.

But quite a lot of Cameron's cunning plans go arwy, so I imagine will this. He's devious, but lacks the cleverness of Peter Mandleson or Blair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any evidence of that or is it your paranoid imagination getting out of control?

That's right, anyone who suggests David Cameron is deceitful is merely being paranoid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I can work out there are now 5 full time female members of the cabinet.(assuming that Esther McVey is just 'allowed' to attend and is not a proper member).That's just one more than there were before Maria Miller resigned. Not exactly a takeover just yet!