NFL 2014-15 thread

Comments

• mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    The call was harsh but fair on Dallas. But they can rest assured they went out through bad luck rather than being rubbish. I have the sneaking suspiscion that they will be back next year.

Seattle will beat Green Bay unless they can get Rogers fully fit. New England will win the other game. They just know how to get the job done.

couple of big decisions for dallas to make now

murray is a free agent and will demand a big jump in salary after the year he has had , are dallas willing to pay that or will they think with such a strong offensive line they can still get production out of another running back , randle and dunbar both looked ok in their limited chances this year

how much more punishment can romo's body take? the ground is pretty thin for QBs in the draft this year from what I can see with just a couple of highly rated QBs likely to be available and a lot of teams higher in the draft than dallas needing a QB

Bryant is also a free agent and if they cant afford him and murray I reckon he will be the one they keep
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Head coach is also a free agent isn't he? Looks like he's in a good position to dictate his own terms to JJ.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately Manning performed to my expectations. He clearly hadn't learned from any of his mistakes throughout December and basically repeated all of them - again and again, and even introduced some new, hitherto unseen ones.

I lost count of the number of times he overthrew receivers but what really sticks in the mind are the stupendously dumb plays, especially early in the 3rd quarter on 3rd down when he had a simple, guaranteed first down if he'd run with it. Instead he goes for a difficult pass which, even if he completes it, which he did, the receiver was going to be forced out without getting both feet in bounds, which he was.

You've had a great career Peyton but do yourself and all of us Broncos fans a favour and retire. When even the Mile High faithful start booing you it's time to go.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Unfortunately Manning performed to my expectations. He clearly hadn't learned from any of his mistakes throughout December and basically repeated all of them - again and again, and even introduced some new, hitherto unseen ones.

I lost count of the number of times he overthrew receivers but what really sticks in the mind are the stupendously dumb plays, especially early in the 3rd quarter on 3rd down when he had a simple, guaranteed first down if he'd run with it. Instead he goes for a difficult pass which, even if he completes it, which he did, the receiver was going to be forced out without getting both feet in bounds, which he was.

You've had a great career Peyton but do yourself and all of us Broncos fans a favour and retire. When even the Mile High faithful start booing you it's time to go.

Bit harsh. A bad Peyton Manning is miles better than your other current choices at QB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit harsh. A bad Peyton Manning is miles better than your other current choices at QB.

He's paid a whole lot more than those other choices as well though. If he retired they could use that money to resign their many free agents.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    He's paid a whole lot more than those other choices as well though. If he retired they could use that money to resign their many free agents.

True, but not sure how successful they'd be unless they get someone better than Brock Osweiler
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, depends on whether Manning's rubbish performance for the last few months really was down to the thigh injury or due to terminal decline.

If it's the former then their best chance is obviously keeping him around if it's the latter then grabbing a FA QB (Brian Hoyer maybe?) or going with Osweiler if they rate him and surrounding him with enough talent by keeping free agents would be a better plan.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    Yes, depends on whether Manning's rubbish performance for the last few months really was down to the thigh injury or due to terminal decline.

If it's the former then their best chance is obviously keeping him around if it's the latter then grabbing a FA QB (Brian Hoyer maybe?) or going with Osweiler if they rate him and surrounding him with enough talent by keeping free agents would be a better plan.

Think it was down to injury, i think he'll be back next season he has a few records up for grabs, Manning will give it one more season then retire. He's one of those enigmas, normally has a great regular season but drops off in the playoffs 9 one & dones over the years, the old joke you want Payton for the regular season then change to Eli for the playoffs.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Think it was down to injury, i think he'll be back next season he has a few records up for grabs, Manning will give it one more season then retire. He's one of those enigmas, normally has a great regular season but drops off in the playoffs 9 one & dones over the years, the old joke you want Payton for the regular season then change to Eli for the playoffs.

a lot might depend on who the new head coach is given Denver have just sacked not only their head coach but basically their whole coaching staff

when a team has a high profile QB like manning then maybe you would expect the decision on a head coach to factor in someone who wants to play the style of game that suits manning, but are they going to commit to a new head coach based on that when manning might not even come back next year and even if he does it will probably be his last

will manning want to learn a whole new offence for just one year as well ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think it was down to injury,.

The rot had already set in well before the relatively minor quad strain (not tear, confirmed by the Broncos) sustained against the Chargers in week 15. Manning hadn't actually thrown for over 200 yards since week 12, and then threw twice as many interceptions as TDs (6 to 3) in December.

I don't know how many, if any, of those December games you saw, or if you saw the divisional playoff game, but Manning's mobility didn't seem to be restricted much, if at all. His problems last Sunday were wildly inaccurate throws (6 for 22 on anything over 5 yards), and very poor decision making (see my previous post). Far from being harsh I could have justifiably been far more critical of him.
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    a lot might depend on who the new head coach is given Denver have just sacked not only their head coach but basically their whole coaching staff

when a team has a high profile QB like manning then maybe you would expect the decision on a head coach to factor in someone who wants to play the style of game that suits manning, but are they going to commit to a new head coach based on that when manning might not even come back next year and even if he does it will probably be his last

will manning want to learn a whole new offence for just one year as well ?

Manning's decline has been alarming, but what seems to have gone un-noticed is Welker's decline. I know he's had some concussions but this season he has been irrelevant compared to last year.

Denver will likely hope Manning hangs around for one more year. They're not blessed with Draft Picks and they still have great receivers in the Thomas's coupled with potentially a good->great defense.

All that said with the coaching staff gone, I think whether Manning stays will depend a lot on who comes in.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    Of the recent Broncos games i've only watched the Broncos playoff game, Manning was poor but credit to the Colts defence who played well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of the recent Broncos games i've only watched the Broncos playoff game, Manning was poor but credit to the Colts defence who played well.

When Manning was asked at the post game press conference if his poor play in the second half of the season was due to injury he said no, but couldn't come up with a reason why. I think it's most likely age has caught up with him and his body simply can't last a full season of this most physically demanding and brutal of sports anymore, rather than the result of a specific injury. Very sad but I think he would be crazy not to retire.

And yes, full credit to the Colts. Great gameplan and execution. Here's hoping for an Indy/Green Bay SB.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Crazy game so far.

Wilson having an absolute nightmare, all Packers so far.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    2:07 left in the 4th quarter just after seattle get a touchdown they get the ball back after the kick off. They could still win this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This game went from all over to 50:50 in the blink of an eye, what a turnaround.
    Forum Member
    Amazingly Seattle have done it! 2 touchdown's in minutes
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Ooooh.....this is mega. Listening to the last quarter on 5L SX. Do Seattle deserve to go through?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike McCarthy should be fired tomorrow for how he's handled this game. Green Bay should have been out of sight.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seattle do not deserve it tonight, they have been terrible for three and a half quarters, but their form over the season shows it isn't just luck.
    Forum Member
    Probably going into overtime now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did GB take the time out at 19 seconds? Such terrible clock management.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Mental game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very poor game quality wise, both teams have been pretty shocking, but it's been very exciting.
    Forum Member
    Must admit I don't watch NFL often but I hooked on this game now!