The Carry On Films And Carry On Television Series Appreciation Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
Forum Member
Welcome to the the Carry On films and Carry on television series appreciation thread :).

This thread is for fans of the hugely popular Carry On films and the Carry On series of television programmes :cool:
- including the Carry On Christmas television specials - to read and to post comments to.

Whenever I read or hear about a Carry On film being shown on television I will post to this thread with details of the broadcast date and time and what channel the film will be on.

If you are a Carry On fan :cool: please post here and visit this thread regularly. Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Carry on film to be broadcast on ITV 1 and on ITV 1 HD on 28.5.2011

Carry On Cowboy is to be shown on ITV 1 and on ITV 1 HD this coming Saturday - 28.5.2011 - from 1.25 pm to 3.10 pm.

Please check television guides to confirm times.

This is the first time Carry On Cowboy has been broadcast on terrestrial television this year (it was most recently shown on ITV 3 on 21.12.2010 and on the same channel on Christmas Day last year).

It is also the first time that Carry On Cowboy will be broadcast in HD on one of the main UK television channels.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for starting this appreciation thread Terry - I'm a massive fan of the Carry On films, and it's good we now have a forum for fans to discuss their affection for the films.

My top 5 Carry On films:

Khyber
    Cleo
    Camping
    Girls
    Don't Lose Your Head

My favourite Carry On star:

Charles Hawtrey
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Well done Terry, and the best of luck with your new thread. May it be a trouble-free and happy one, just like the Carry On films! :)

My favourite Carry On has got to be Carry On Up The Khyber, although I enjoy them all.

I have always wondered which cast members fans miss most, when some of them perhaps had other acting commitments and had to miss out on a film? Mine would have to be Kenneth Williams and Sid James, without either of those two, it didn't seem like a proper Carry On, to me.
  • dolly12345dolly12345 Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOVE the Carry ons!

Carry on Spying is my favourite but Convenience, Girls, Behind and Abroad are also up there x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always wondered which cast members fans miss most, when some of them perhaps had other acting commitments and had to miss out on a film? Mine would have to be Kenneth Williams and Sid James, without either of those two, it didn't seem like a proper Carry On, to me.

I agree with you - yet I loved 'Girls' which didn't feature either Kenneth Williams or Charles Hawtrey, but was still brilliant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let me add my voice welcoming this admirable new thread. It's such a pity some of your previous threads were invaded by a tiny minority of spiteful posters just out to make trouble. Let's hope they stay out of this one while we Carry On talking about the films we love!
    Forum Member
    gboy wrote: »
    Many thanks for starting this appreciation thread Terry....

Thank you for your thanks gboy :). It was the idea of Radiomaniac (who has posted to this thread), and then the digital spy moderator (in the Carry On Spying thread earlier tonight) also suggested I could open an Appreciation thread. So here all are where we belong - in the Carry On film and television series appreciation thread :cool:.
    gboy wrote: I'm a massive fan of the Carry On films, and it's good we now have a forum for fans to discuss their affection for the films.

It is good to read that you are a big fan of the Carry On films, gboy.

I am looking forward to reading your contributions to this thread and to reading the postings here from the many Carry On films who visit this forum.
    gboy wrote: My top 5 Carry On films: Khyber. Cleo
    Camping. Girls. Don't Lose Your Head...

I like all of the Carry On films you name above. I notice you mention Carry On Up The Khyber - so many say that it is their favourite or one of their favourites of the Carry On series of films. What a pity a sequel to it was not made.
    gboy wrote: My favourite Carry On star: Charles Hawtrey

Did you see Charles in one of the Carry On Christmas specials made for television?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Carry On Camping is my favourite. it's hilarious :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you see Charles in one of the Carry On Christmas specials made for television?

He's excellent in them, as he is in the films.

Sadly, it was his refusal to appear in the 1972 Christmas special that led to him being dropped from the Carry Ons (combined with his increasing drink problem).

Charlie insisted he would only do the special if he was given top billing. Instead the top billing was given to Hattie Jacques, who was, by this time, a well-known TV star.

He argued that as neither Sid James, nor Kenneth Williams (who were usually billed ahead of him) were appearing in the '72 special, he was next in line for top-billing. Peter Rogers disagreed and when Charlie decided at the last minute (2 days before filming) not to appear in the show, Peter Rogers reluctantly dropped him from the series.
    Forum Member
    Well done Terry, and the best of luck with your new thread.

Thank you for your kind comments, Radiomaniac - and, since you initially suggested I open this Carry On Appreciation Thread, thank you to you for the idea.
    Radiomaniac wrote regarding this new Carry On Appreciation Thread: May it be a trouble-free and happy one, just like the Carry On films! :)

Yes that is what we all want - and that is how it will be if that tiny minority of anti-Carry On film posters (i.e. two or three people) who visit this forum keep out of this thread.
    Radiomaniac wrote: My favourite Carry On has got to be Carry On Up The Khyber, although I enjoy them all.

Carry On Up The Khyber is such a popular film, isn't it? I have never heard anyone say that they do not like it. What a pity a sequel to it was not made.
    Radiomaniac wrote:....Kenneth Williams and Sid James, without either of those two, it didn't seem like a proper Carry On, to me.

Was there any Carry On film made during the 1960s - 1980s without either of Kenneth or Sid? I don't think so. One of the two were in each Carry On film which was made during the 1960s - 1980s it seems.
    Forum Member
    Carry On Camping is my favourite. it's hilarious :D

Any particular scene in the film you remember? :D
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for your kind comments, Radiomaniac - and, since you initially suggested I open this Carry On Appreciation Thread, thank you to you for the idea.

Yes that is what we all want - and that is how it will be if that tiny minority of anti-Carry On film posters (i.e. two or three people) who visit this forum keep out of this thread.

Carry On Up The Khyber is such a popular film, isn't it? I have never heard anyone say that they do not like it. What a pity a sequel to it was not made.

Was there any Carry On film made during the 1960s - 1980s without either of Kenneth or Sid? I don't think so. One of the two were in each Carry On film which was made during the 1960s - 1980s it seems.

I've got (what I hope is) an interesting question: is there anything the Carry On team DIDN'T tackle that you'd have liked them to - eg. a historical period they missed out on or a type of film they didn't get the chance to spoof?

Me, I wouldn't have minded a Greek myth style one - Carry on Up Olympus or something - Sid James as Zeus?! :D They came closest with Cleo, and Up Pompeii played around with a similar time period, but I bet this is something they could have had a ball with. I can also imagine a spoof of all those stoic WWII films - might have worked for an early Carry On - again, the rather poorer 'England' played around with WWII, but the series was past its prime then and it suffered from a weak story and lack of regulars.
    Forum Member
    dolly12345 wrote: »
    LOVE the Carry ons! Carry on Spying is my favourite but Convenience, Girls, Behind and Abroad are also up there x

I am so pleased you mention Carry On Spying as one of your favourites, dolly. It is definitely among my favourite Carry On films too.

It was shown on Film 4 several months ago - and I think it was the first time it had been on UK terrestrial television for many years.

You also refer to Carry On At Your Convenience. It was shown on BBC 2 on 7.5.2011. You might have watched it then. Many people posted to the Carry On At Your Convenience thread here to say how much they like the film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The only one to feature neither Kenny nor Sid is 'Carry On England', and it's much the poorer because of it.

'Carry On...Up the Khyber' is widely regarded as the best of the Carry On films - it reached no.99 in the BFI's list of 100 top British films, much to the chagrin of some film snobs.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Carry On Regardless.
    Carry On Constable
    Carry On Spying
  • kenikikeniki Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love all the Carry On films, Never get tired of watching them.
    Earlier ones are my most favourite though.
    Love Sid James , Kenneth Williams, Charles Hawtrey etc,will watch them time & time again
    Thanks for this thread.
    Forum Member
    DB5 wrote: »
    Let me add my voice welcoming this admirable new thread.

I look forward to reading more of your interesting comments here DB5 - as, I am sure, everyone does.
    DB5 wrote: It's such a pity some of your previous threads were invaded by a tiny minority of spiteful posters just out to make trouble. Let's hope they stay out of this one while we Carry On talking about the films we love!

As you know, many of us here were posting to the Carry on Screaming here yesterday evening - and quite a few of our comments have since been deleted because a section of that thread was removed. This was all because of a tiny minority of posters (two or three people) who tried to disrupt with their negative comments a pleasant and cordial discussion there about Carry On films.

If they try to do the same thing in this thread then I think we need to contact the forum moderator.
    Forum Member
    gboy wrote: »
    The only one to feature neither Kenny nor Sid is 'Carry On England', and it's much the poorer because of it.

Thank you for letting me know this, gboy. Amazing - Sid or Kenneth were in every Carry On Film during the 1960s - 1980s except one.

I have just looked at the cast of Carry on England on Wikipedia and I notice that the film did include the brilliant Peter Jones. It was a wise decision to include him in the cast.
    gboy wrote: 'Carry On...Up the Khyber' is widely regarded as the best of the Carry On films....

So many people mention it as their favourite or one of their two or three favourite Carry On films.

I have never met anyone who did not like Carry On Up The Khyber. It is a pity a sequel was not made.
    gboy wrote of Carry On Up The Khyber: ....it reached no.99 in the BFI's list of 100 top British films, much to the chagrin of some film snobs...

I think that if there was a poll of the British public Carry On Up The Khyber would get a large amount as support as one of the greatest comedy films ever made.
  • Nollaig79Nollaig79 Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to see an appreciation thread for the "Carry Ons" :D Hopefully this thread will stay for a long time yet!

I absolutely love them, ever since I was a kid and I am always watching a movie or two from the boxset.

My favourites are Sid James, Joan Sims, Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey. I love all of the films bar England, I do agree that it is quite poor.

Whoot_Whoo, in answer to your question, it would have been great if there was a Carry On Movie about a ballroom dancing school (e.g Dr. Soapers Dance Academy lol) getting ready for a competition or something like that.
    There would have been a lot of potential for gags, had the team tackled this I think.

I wish they would release Carry On Christmas though, I have never seen it :(
    Forum Member
    Carry On Regardless. Carry On Constable. Carry On Spying

Carry On Regardless was on Film 4 yesterday, actually. It was also broadcast on Film 4 in the early Spring too. The film was, of course, in black-and-white, and I am hoping that Film 4 will show the other black-and-white Carry On films they broadcast earlier this year - including another of your favourites: Carry On Spying.
    Forum Member
    Keniki wrote: Thanks for this thread.

Thank you for thanks Keniki, and thanks to Radiomaniac (who posted earlier to this thread) for suggesting (in the Carry On Screaming thread) that this Carry On Appreciation thread be opened. Thanks to the Digital Spy moderator for also mentioning that it was possible to open such a thread here.
    keniki wrote: »
    I love all the Carry On films,Never get tired of watching them. Earlier ones are my most favourite though.

I think that Film 4 currently have some of the older (i.e. black-and-white) Carry On films. They showed one of them - Carry On Regardless - yesterday. A number of other older Carry On films were broadcast on Film 4 in the early Spring (as you may have seen).
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another FM here who wants to say thanks for keeping us up to date on where and when the Carry On's can be seen.
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for a great thread Terry.

My first memories of TV comedy were of a lanky man and a fat woman. When I look back I think it was Charles Hawtry and Hilda Baker but it seems a strange pairing.

But thanks to google I found they did star together in 2 series...Our House (with Hattie Jacques, Bernerd Bresslaw and Joan Sims!!!) and Best of Friends. I think they were written by Carry On writer Norman Hudis. I'd love to see these old programs. Anyone remember these??
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I've got (what I hope is) an interesting question: is there anything the Carry On team DIDN'T tackle that you'd have liked them to - eg. a historical period they missed out on or a type of film they didn't get the chance to spoof?

Thank you for the interesting question woot_whoo. I think a Carry On film set in the future would have been very interesting. As I am I sure you know, years ago there were plans for a Carry On film in Australia and for a film which may have been called Carry On Spaceman.

Had The Late Peter Rogers lived then a film called Carry On London may have been made. An article on Wikipedia says that Carry On London reached pre-production but that following the sad passing of The Late Peter Rogers in April 2009 it is unlikely that it will now be made. What a shame.
    woot_whoo wrote: I wouldn't have minded a Greek myth style one - Carry on Up Olympus or something - Sid James as Zeus?! :D They came closest with Cleo, and Up Pompeii played around with a similar time period, but I bet this is something they could have had a ball with.

That is as good idea, woot_whoo - I think that a Carry On film set in ancient Greece would have been very successful. Amanda Barrie who was in Carry On Cleo could have been in the Carry On film set in ancient Greece too.
    Forum Member
    Nollaig79 wrote: »
    Great to see an appreciation thread for the "Carry Ons" :D Hopefully this thread will stay for a long time yet!

Thank you Nollaig. Your comments (quoted above) are much appreciated. I hope that you visit this thread often and that you will post here regularly.
    Nollaig wrote of the Carry On films: I absolutely love them.....

I notice that you are posting from Ireland - are Carry On films shown on Irish television (TV3 or RTÉ)? If you can receive ITV 1 where you are I just thought that I would mention that Carry On Cowboy is being shown this Saturday afternoon (28.5.2011) on ITV 1 and on ITV 1 HD from 1.25 pm (please check television guides to confirm).
    Nollaig wrote: My favourites are Sid James, Joan Sims, Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey.

I have found out through this new thread that either Sid or Kenneth were in every Carry On film made in during the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s - except for Carry On England.
    Nollaig wrote: I wish they would release Carry On Christmas though, I have never seen it :(

Some of these excellent programmes - among the best Carry On comedies ever made - were given out free on DVD discs a few years ago with copies of the Daily or Sunday Express. Channel Five (one of the main five terrestrial television channels in the UK) showed a couple of them during one Christmas in the middle of the last decade.

It seems that the four discs of the Carry On Christmas television specials can be purchased here for £14.42:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carry-Christmas-DVD-Sid-James/dp/B000B7KXDQ