Options

Bread makers ...

Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
Forum Member
... I apologies if I can't answer immediately - but I will respond later ( should I be lucky enough to have answers that is:o).

For two days now, I've made bread at home using prepared ( wright's) bread. Normally, they're great but I've just taken the second loaf out in two days & it hasn't risen. I know they say the weather can attribute to this but I've never had two bad batches in a row. Flour was in date.

Is my machine dying?

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it is not getting to temperature or it is not mixing correctly.

i am going to make some bread this weekend, but not via the bread maker.
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No rise, could be down to no yeast :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it could be a bad batch, best is to try another brand of bread mix or do your own from scratch. if it don't work, then it is more than likely the machine.

what machine is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ A Morphys Richards 'fast bake. It's been great until last week and I know the weather can affect it's cooking. However, I've baked two types of Wright's bread now. Both dire.

Perhaps it is a bread maker thermostat, I never thought of that.

Sorry for the delay in my response but I appreciate your answers.:)

I might try a white loaf from the instructions booklet tomorrow and see how that goes.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    much more likely to be the yeast than the machine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi smudge - the last two mixes I used were ready done & I've used them before? Anyhow, for the sake of the yeast I will try another loaf tomorrow - I use Allinsons' yeast btw and buy their proper bread flour too. I'll report back - I've enough bread ATM but have to stay home for a delivery tomorrow so I'll try another loaf again.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I've had a run of duff loaves from mixes that in the end I attributed to the supermarket not storing them correctly and killing the yeast - I changed shops and voilà good results. Good luck with the test loaf
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I just buy strong bread flour and yeast. I also watch it, to see if it is proving or not.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    I've had several failures with dried yeast, mainly when I've left it in the cupboard for a while - though still well inside the date shown on the pack.

So I'd think that the yeast is the main suspect. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks all for your replies - I had to go into town and didn't get around to my test loaf as I had the gym too.
    I will try one this weekend - I agree with you all from the yeast, to the shop storage. I do usually watch it proving - but the last two rubbish bakes I was busy - I'll let you know how it goes.:)
  • Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    I've had several failures with dried yeast, mainly when I've left it in the cupboard for a while - though still well inside the date shown on the pack.

So I'd think that the yeast is the main suspect. :)

A few years ago you used to be able to go to the bakery in Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury and get it fresh, normally free although I had to pay sometimes at Sainsbury.

Not done it in a good few years.

It certainly makes a difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ A Morphys Richards 'fast bake. It's been great until last week and I know the weather can affect it's cooking. However, I've baked two types of Wright's bread now. Both dire.

Perhaps it is a bread maker thermostat, I never thought of that.

Sorry for the delay in my response but I appreciate your answers.:)

I might try a white loaf from the instructions booklet tomorrow and see how that goes.

I have one of those, It is getting old now, but it still worked the last time I used it. If I bake bread i normally do it by hand, not that I have made any for a while.
    I never got great results with mine, but a mate of mine who also got the same one did. what is funny is that I used the strong flour, but he used normal flour. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A few years ago you used to be able to go to the bakery in Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury and get it fresh, normally free although I had to pay sometimes at Sainsbury.

Not done it in a good few years.

It certainly makes a difference.

Aww, I remember the days when you could buy fresh yeast from a baker!:) in fact I bought some from Turkey - you can freeze it & it remained frozen by the time we got home - its still in my freezer - I used to like baking bread but have become lazy.:o it works differently in a machine tho' doesn't it?

I know I've been threatening to use the machine again but I had to wait until we went shopping - so I've got a fresh Wright's brown bread mix to try - I'm going to watch it like a hawk, but as some of you have said - it could be down to the way supermarkets etc store them.