Which brand of butter do you prefer?

Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
Forum Member
...and I don't mean imitation spreads and margarines.

I quite like Anchor, but also occasionally buy the Dairy Crest brands like Countrylife and Willow is a good versatile one for spreading and cooking.

Marks & Spencer also do a range of butters like Jersey, Cornish, English etc, and they're all quite nice and much-of-a-muchness.

Comments

• queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whichever is on offer - Anchor, Countrylife or Lurpak usually.

I prefer Anchor.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    queenshaks wrote: »
    Whichever is on offer - Anchor, Countrylife or Lurpak usually.

I prefer Anchor.

I know it's not patriotic of me but I prefer Anchor too.
    It's just.... very buttery
  • foxydogfoxydog Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    president butter, it is French.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meadow churn from Iceland, i prefer, but it went up in price and I started buying Aldis own which is pretty good, but now Meadow churn gone back down to a pound I buying that again

Sainsburys Basic butter is not bad either.

Willow, by the way is not butter, even if it does come in a wrapped packet.

i used to like one from Castle Dairies , which was a Welsh Salted Butter, but i have not seen it for a few years now, i bet it is expensive now as well.

i have never been one for Lurpack, I find it lacking something, anchor also is not that good. the best one out of the more well known ones i suppose is country life.
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Meadow churn from Iceland, i prefer, but it went up in price and I started buying Aldis own which is pretty good, but now Meadow churn gone back down to a pound I buying that again

Sainsburys Basic butter is not bad either.

Willow, by the way is not butter, even if it does come in a wrapped packet.

i used to like one from Castle Dairies , which was a Welsh Salted Butter, but i have not seen it for a few years now, i bet it is expensive now as well.

i have never been one for Lurpack, I find it lacking something, anchor also is not that good. the best one out of the more well known ones i suppose is country life.

Lurpack doesn't taste of much, I suspect it's the low level of salt.

Willow isn''t butter you're right - it's more like Clover in a butter wrapper.
    It does contain cream though, so it's not a total imposter!
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lurpak and president, but i prefer to buy the £1 butters

Oh, and ALWAYS UNSALTED
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Lurpak, slightly salted
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    is there any dairy free butter out there ? I know there is dairy free margarine and dairy free spreads, but is there butter too ? i would like to know..I shop is Tesco and not noticed in their ''free from'' range , so not sure if they do it
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lurpak.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    is there any dairy free butter out there ? I know there is dairy free margarine and dairy free spreads, but is there butter too ? i would like to know..I shop is Tesco and not noticed in their ''free from'' range , so not sure if they do it

Eh?

What on earth would you put in dairy free butter?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Eh?

What on earth would you put in dairy free butter?
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

well not everyone can eat milk products, you do know that, eh

yea, soya
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like lurpak and anchor butter but only get it when it's on offer somewhere. We've been using the aldi own make for years on a regular basis. We buy both salted and unsalted.
    Forum Member
    I like lurpak and anchor butter but only get it when it's on offer somewhere. We've been using the aldi own make for years on a regular basis. We buy both salted and unsalted.

The matter of salting is very specific imo.

It doesn't take much to make it either too salty or too lacking.

Welsh butter is traditionally very salty (remember Shirgâr http://moblog.net/media/r/a/s/rassilon7/shirgar.jpg ) which I find too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well not everyone can eat milk products, you do know that, eh

yea, soya

But then it is not really butter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lurpack doesn't taste of much, I suspect it's the low level of salt.

Maybe, but I do not mind unsalted butter now and again like in my spuds i wil use unsalted and in sandwiches. On toast it got to be salted.
    I only buy butter these days, i do not buy any other spreads.

Willow isn''t butter you're right - it's more like Clover in a butter wrapper.
    It does contain cream though, so it's not a total imposter!

Did clover used to come in a packet? I got visions of that for some reason.
    I did try willow a few weeks back, but it was not for me.
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My daughter is lactose intolerant and uses lactofree butter. It's very palatable and is the closest to real butter tasting of any of the other butter substitutes she has tried.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's not patriotic of me but I prefer Anchor too.
    It's just.... very buttery

Yes and it has the right amount of saltiness.

For baking, I use a supermarket's own brand.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lurpak.

If its not dairy then its by definition not butter.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    For cooking, President. It's the only one that tastes nice, for me. However, I simply can't stand it as a spread.

For a spread, I'm fairly easily pleased, though I prefer salted butters. Aldi's west country butter is OK, and Asda's butter is not bad. I like Wyck Farm butter, though I haven't bought it very often since they put the price up and reduced it from 250g to 200g.

Asda used to do all sorts of nice French and Channel Island butters years ago, but they seem to have streamlined a lot of their ranges, favouring cheap popular tripe over more expensive quality products that don't fly off the shelves.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've started buying Vitalite Dairy Free Spread which is quite nice.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dairy free would be a spread not a butter.

Sainsburys basics is nice so is Tescos slightly salted. Not keen on lurpak it's a little too salty for me. Anchor is OK it s one I was brought up on but the price compared to the Tesco and sainsburys is extortionate.
  • Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anchor spreadable :)
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Beurre D'Isigny which is a Swiss brand I think....could be French.

Over here, whatever's on offer. They're all much of a muchness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And when I get this from Mauritius, it's superb. Taste of my childhood butter