Headaches

Butterfly8588Butterfly8588 Posts: 701
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi there,
I've been getting a lot of headaches recently and I wondered if anyone had any tips on how to get rid of them? I try not to have to many tablets cos a) I dont like to take them if I can b) I don't find they work to well anyway and c) I know taking them can sometimes cause headaches as well!
Sometimes they can be so bad I can barely stand to have my head on the pillow, although thankfully that's not to often and pain killers dull them down for a while cos I take them when its that bad! I don't believe they are migraines though.
Any ideas on more natural cures? Or dos and donts?

Thank you xxx

Comments

• Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be lots of things OP, stress, dehydration etc.... I found I use to have daily headaches, then migraines that stopped once I was diagnosed coeliac and stopped eating gluten...

I'd make sure you're drinking plenty water etc, are you on a sugar crash after Christmas? Stopped caffeine etc? Could be worth a wee visit to the GP if you are concerned!
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    Could be lots of things OP, stress, dehydration etc.... I found I use to have daily headaches, then migraines that stopped once I was diagnosed coeliac and stopped eating gluten...

I'd make sure you're drinking plenty water etc, are you on a sugar crash after Christmas? Stopped caffeine etc? Could be worth a wee visit to the GP if you are concerned!

I'd suggest that too if the headaches keep on occurring. In the meantime, l'd suggest taking 1x paracetamol tablet + 1x nurofen tablet + 2x 50mg caffeine tablets or one strong cup of caffeinated coffee (caffeine acts as a pain adjuvant and different types of painkiller mean more effective pain relief).
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    As others have said I would consult a GP over this. If you have not had an eye test in a while it might be worth getting one done just in case.
  • Butterfly8588Butterfly8588 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone,
    Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I'm really sorry, I dont think I made myself as clear as I thought I did in my original post. I more or less know what's causing the headaches, I have fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndrome, and have done for a long while and it's believed that's causing it.
    What I was wondering is if anyone had any alternative ideas on what may help relieve them. For example, my partner had terrible trapped wind a couple of days ago after a nasty stomach upset and we were told peppermint tea is good for helping to relieve it. It got me wondering if there was something similar, not necessarily teas, people have found help them?

Thank you xxx
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The traditional herbal remedy for headaches is willow bark tea. It never worked for me but my headaches aren't caused by the same thing as yours, so maybe give it a go. :)

I don't know much about your conditions, are they at all muscular in origin? My headaches are at least partially due to muscle tension so head and neck massage is a great pain reliever for me.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    The traditional herbal remedy for headaches is willow bark tea. It never worked for me but my headaches aren't caused by the same thing as yours, so maybe give it a go. :)

I don't know much about your conditions, are they at all muscular in origin? My headaches are at least partially due to muscle tension so head and neck massage is a great pain reliever for me.

Willow bark tablets are also available and they contain a natural form of aspirin. However, they may not be as effective as pharmaceutical aspirin and the caveats about any form of aspirin still apply: http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1082-3/aspirin-oral/aspirin-oral/details/list-sideeffects
  • Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find caffeine (paracetamol plus caffeine or coffee or cola) and sugary snack or junk food helps but it's probably not the best advice!
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For headaches laying down in a dark room ideally one that is just a little colder than warm. you might find a damn cloth on your forehead if you have a burning type headache. Avoid tea, coffee beer, wine, cheese, chocs .

Then just take paracetamol and try to get some sleep that always helps :)
  • funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I feel for you. I suffer from headaches, though mine are migraines and it's frustrating as it is so life impacting, especially as one of the best treatments - lying down in a quiet dark room - eats away at your time for doing things. And then there's the pain. You have my sympathy.

How well is your Fibromyalgia under control? Could you do more/something different to combat that, to try to address the issue from the cause rather than treat the symptoms?

My mum likes to have lavender scented flannels when she has a headache, though any scents make my headaches worse, but have you tried any different scented oils to see if they help relax your muscles and thereby lessen your headache pain?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone,
    Once again thank you for your lovely replies. I take no regular pain medication for my Fibro, just 30mg of codeine and 500mg of Naproxen just to take the edge off of the pain when it's unbearable. I've been on a lot of medication at the beginning and it didn't help so I weaned myself off of it. It's also the reason why I have an aversion to taking tablets!
    Someone mentioned something about muscles, I suffer from awful tension in my neck/shoulders hence the headaches I guess. I'm also sensitive to light and sound.
    Anyway enough about that, thank you for the suggestion of the tea, I'll definitely look into that. Massage has been suggested to me before but to be honest my shoulders are so sensitive and painful I'm absolutely terrified to let anyone press on my shoulders.

Take care xxx
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This may sound odd and appear as though I'm not empathising with your impairment, but changing pillows can have a massive impact on headaches.

Surprisingly, memory foam ones can cause more pain than a normal feather or even polystyrene ones.

Have a little go at changing them round if you get a chance and see if it makes a difference.
    It did for me :)

(P.S I still take 500mg of Naproxen daily, but that's for arthritis).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Joni,
    Don't worry I completely understand what you mean, little things can make a huge difference so I've found. I have found feather pillows are the best for me, I need the mouldability (is that even a word? Lol). I don't like memory foam, anything that remembers more than me is out the door ;-)
    Seriously though I can't get on with it. And don't worry about possibly offending me, you should try having a condition that most of the medical profession dont believe exists. It took me 3 years or so of being told I was fine to finally get answers. It tends to thicken your skin a little!
    Thank you for taking the time to respond to me and I hope your arthritis doesn't affect you to badly xx
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,
    Once again thank you for your lovely replies. I take no regular pain medication for my Fibro, just 30mg of codeine and 500mg of Naproxen just to take the edge off of the pain when it's unbearable. I've been on a lot of medication at the beginning and it didn't help so I weaned myself off of it. It's also the reason why I have an aversion to taking tablets!
    Someone mentioned something about muscles, I suffer from awful tension in my neck/shoulders hence the headaches I guess. I'm also sensitive to light and sound.
    Anyway enough about that, thank you for the suggestion of the tea, I'll definitely look into that. Massage has been suggested to me before but to be honest my shoulders are so sensitive and painful I'm absolutely terrified to let anyone press on my shoulders.

Take care xxx

Oh please try massage, it can be life changing if your headaches are related to muscular tension! I understand your fear but don't worry, you are in control of your massage and a trained therapist will never apply more pressure than is needed. Just make sure you get a proper massage therapist, not a beauty / nail technician who's gone on a half day course and got a certificate... that is, don't go to a salon for a massage, go to someone where it's their main job. Explain your pain and your fears and they will make sure not to give too much pressure.

Indian head massage is a very gentle one, and you don't even need to get undressed.

I would have one every day if I could afford it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    i always take 2 ibuprofen and a have a cup of coffee. If it gets painful then ice cubes wrapped in a damp cloth held against my forehead always makes me feel better quickly.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi there,
    I've been getting a lot of headaches recently and I wondered if anyone had any tips on how to get rid of them? I try not to have to many tablets cos a) I dont like to take them if I can b) I don't find they work to well anyway and c) I know taking them can sometimes cause headaches as well!
    Sometimes they can be so bad I can barely stand to have my head on the pillow, although thankfully that's not to often and pain killers dull them down for a while cos I take them when its that bad! I don't believe they are migraines though.
    Any ideas on more natural cures? Or dos and donts?

Thank you xxx

Kool strips on the neck not the head as it cools the blood rushing to the head.

I used to use on head but found the neck relieves it much quicker.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2FKool-Soothe-Migraine-Cooling-Strips%2Fdp%2FB000KU954M&ei=AUu2VPjmMJSp7Abh6IDgDA&usg=AFQjCNHx8QVZycHR8prpCguS-gUZ2r60bw&sig2=kUiyQ5x0qcANYDMp6yWCMg&bvm=bv.83640239,d.ZGU
    Also of course standard advice to see a doctor to check nothing more serious also consider an eye site test.