Options

Lollipop 5.0 the slowest roll out ever

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Could 5.0 Lollipop be the slowest roll out ever for Android? Less than 0.1% of people are using it. Kitkat by comparison reached a 1.1% share within four weeks of its release in a similar timeframe at the end of 2013.

Google did have high hopes for a faster smoother roll out of their OS but things have only gotten worse this time around. Updates are an arduous process at best with plenty of spanners ready to be thrown in the works. Manufacture's often cant be bothered, and Networks providers approval for their own customisations (bloatware) make the process akin to walking through mud with concrete wellies on.

Android 4.4 (Kitkat) is now the most popular version of Android, with 39.1% of all devices connecting to the Google Play Store in the seven-day period ending January 5th 2015.

iOS 8 on the other hand reached a 48.8% share (and overtook iOS 7 with 47.2%) 29 days after it was released.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2015/01/11/nobody-is-using-android-lollipop/

Comments

• Options
    mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple rolls out new iOS to every supported device at the same time. Android updates go from Google to carriers or handset manufacturers and are then modified and then released, slowly and painfully.

These are two different processes, yet iOS and Android update rollouts are always compared to each other. Google doesn't control the handsets and Apple does, of course iOS updates will roll out faster.

As for lollipop being slower than kitkats rollout, I really don't know.
  • Options
    nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont worry your not missing much. I wish I was still on the previous version to be honest.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's actually being rolled out quicker than usual. Some of the flagship devices such as the LG G3 and the Galaxy S5 already have it. In the past most non nexus devices wouldn't be updated until February/March so they are doing a little better this year. However due to the nature of android and its availability on such a wide variery of different handsets updates will never be like iOS updates. They will always be staggered.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    It really depends on how you look at it. You can probably say the Nexus line of devices are Google's equivalent to iOS ones. Measuring on that basis then I would probably argue that the majority of Nexus handsets in use now would be on the latest OS for that device, much in the same manner it would be for iOS.

The fly in the ointment is Manufacturers and to some extent networks, what slows up the release is device makers like HTC, Samsung, LG et al putting their own software on top. When Android was being designed and subsquently released, it was meant to be modular, in that the underlying OS should be swift with updates where as manufacturer software should compliment every release. This certainy isn't the case now especially in the case of Samsung and their god awful touchwiz.

HTC and LG have reigned in their skin on top of android core, they are much lighter and brisk compared with the clap trap of yesteryear making the update process consistent and rigourous.

Because Samsung is the largest make of Android devices in the world, that is what really holds the Android ecosystem back. It doesn't help that they release ten different devices in dozens of SKUs. The fragmentation is the blame of Samsung and HTC and LG.

Most recent Nexus devices and Motorola carry the latest version, hell even One+one has a beta out for lollipop. I can see why it hasn't been released to many devices, but that is beyond Google's control frankly, there is very little they can do about the process given how it has all been setup and governed under the "Open Handset Alliance"
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the article says, one of the major issues is that there is little financial incentive to do the work to customise, test and push out Android updates. Apart from the the anoraks, most people with Android device won't know or care what version they have.

I have Lollipop on my Nexus 4 and I've had no problems with it. I really don't get the hate it has been receiving.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame the crazy name :p
  • Options
    denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mupet0000 wrote: »
    Apple rolls out new iOS to every supported device at the same time. Android updates go from Google to carriers or handset manufacturers and are then modified and then released, slowly and painfully.

These are two different processes, yet iOS and Android update rollouts are always compared to each other. Google doesn't control the handsets and Apple does, of course iOS updates will roll out faster.

As for lollipop being slower than kitkats rollout, I really don't know.

But even stock Android for the Nexus devices (far more Apple devices around than Nexus devices), sometimes takes weeks. Besides having problems on the first day maybe, you can always get the updates on Apple straight away.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    But even stock Android for the Nexus devices (far more Apple devices around than Nexus devices), sometimes takes weeks. Besides having problems on the first day maybe, you can always get the updates on Apple straight away.

That is through choice though, Google have always staged a release rather than flooding it to every device.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mupet was partly blaming the slow rollout compared to Apple on carriers and handset manufacturers. I was just pointing out that even without the carriers and handset manufacturers Google's rollout is a lot slower. If that is by choice or not doesn't really matter?!
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google rolling out 5.0 quickly to Nexus devices is not a good idea. They phase these things to prevent disastrous iOS 8.0.1 situations. They had to pull the N7 2012 update as it was a dog.

Manufacturers are free to do what they want – unfortunately.

For those of you stuck on 4.4, you are really missing out. I hate using my KitKat devices now.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    nafanny29 wrote: »
    Dont worry your not missing much. I wish I was still on the previous version to be honest.

I disagree. I have had it on my LG G3 for ages now and i like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Besides the quite annoying memory leak and the missing of the old silent mode I do like Lollipop. Coming to think of it, I only notice the memory leak on the Nexus 5, not on the Nexus 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a good idea to do it in waves (country, network, phone model). Apple problems with iOS 8 should show why. If it were released immediately to everybody it could cause a lot of damage if something went wrong.
  • Options
    ironlegironleg Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I have a Nexus 4 (luckily used as my back-up phone) which hasn't worked properly since the 5.0.1 update over a month ago. Play services won't work, it tells you you only have 250MB of free space available and has constant app shutdowns. The phone features work on mine though.
    Google still haven't come up with an answer, other than on the "Google Products Forum", which tells you to manually flash your phone via a PC. There are quite a few annoyed people on there and i assume many more not on there.
    I feel that this is probably the worst Google update I have had, my Nexus 7 isn't as smooth either now, previous incarnations have updated faultlessly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    It's a good idea to do it in waves (country, network, phone model). Apple problems with iOS 8 should show why. If it were released immediately to everybody it could cause a lot of damage if something went wrong.

But as you can see from Ironleg's post even that way the rollout has been far from perfect. So I don't exactly know what the advantage of Google's approach is. Both screwed it up.
    I am not saying my phone is unusable or anything. But the whole experience could be a bit smoother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But as you can see from Ironleg's post even that way the rollout has been far from perfect. So I don't exactly know what the advantage of Google's approach is. Both screwed it up.
    I am not saying my phone is unusable or anything. But the whole experience could be a bit smoother.

Google screwed it up for fewer people. Any damage is limited.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's another reason why I've stuck with iPhones, I get the updates on day one, and I don't have to have the lastest phone either.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironleg wrote: »
    I have a Nexus 4 (luckily used as my back-up phone) which hasn't worked properly since the 5.0.1 update over a month ago. Play services won't work, it tells you you only have 250MB of free space available and has constant app shutdowns. The phone features work on mine though.
    Google still haven't come up with an answer, other than on the "Google Products Forum", which tells you to manually flash your phone via a PC. There are quite a few annoyed people on there and i assume many more not on there.
    I feel that this is probably the worst Google update I have had, my Nexus 7 isn't as smooth either now, previous incarnations have updated faultlessly.

Try wiping the cache. It is known to cure a lot of problems:

Turn off your device.
    Press and hold Power and volume down buttons simultaneously until you see a large arrow at the top of your screen.
    Press the volume down button repeatedly until you see “Recovery” in the arrow.
    Select it by pressing the power button.
    You’ll see an android mascot with a red triangle and exclamation mark.
    Hold down the power and press the volume up button once and then release the power button.
    Press the volume down button repeatedly to select “erase or wipe the cache partition” from the list of options.
    Wait for the process to complete and then restart your device
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google screwed it up for fewer people. Any damage is limited.

Percentage wise really though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Percentage wise really though?

If Apple hadn't acted quickly to pull the plug on bad iOS8 updates they would have had an Armageddon on their hands. People are eager to install new things.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Apple hadn't acted quickly to pull the plug on bad iOS8 updates they would have had an Armageddon on their hands. People are eager to install new things.

Not sure about that. Even if everyone had installed it, Apple would have just made another update (as they did for the few that did download it) available.

Of course one of the big issues with android isn't how long it takes to get the update, it is the lottery of if you get it at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only a tiny percentage of devices run on Lollipop, so obviously looking at the figures Google screwed it up for less people. But they had to pull the update too, just like Apple did. So I still don't see the benefit of doing a rollout over weeks, if both screwed it up somehow.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had it on my LG G3 as an official update in December.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Try wiping the cache. It is known to cure a lot of problems:

Turn off your device.
    Press and hold Power and volume down buttons simultaneously until you see a large arrow at the top of your screen.
    Press the volume down button repeatedly until you see “Recovery” in the arrow.
    Select it by pressing the power button.
    You’ll see an android mascot with a red triangle and exclamation mark.
    Hold down the power and press the volume up button once and then release the power button.
    Press the volume down button repeatedly to select “erase or wipe the cache partition” from the list of options.
    Wait for the process to complete and then restart your device

Thanks for that, I have tried that, but it had no effect. It was one of many ideas on the Google forum.
    As i said, it's my back up phone so in reality it's not too much of a problem at the moment, but they are really slow at finding an answer.
    I hope this doesn't become another Apple v Google thread gents!!!
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just had 5.0.2 arrive on my Nexus 7 so hopefully a fix for my 4 (and everyone else's) isn't too far away. I know I could side-load but just think it should be from Google OTA.
    Thanks for the tips :)