Options

Portable DVD Players ????

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, thinking of purchasing a couple of portable DVD players for a long flight we have next year with the kids, trouble is they all seem to have a short battery life of around 2.5 hours, is this the norm or can you get longer life batteries as 2.5 hours is not much use on a 9 hour flight?

Comments

• Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2.5 is pretty much the norm. There are some that come with two batteries, boosting it to half the flight, I've seen a few Goodmans models like this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    on long flights like so you will have constant on flight mivies might be worth just watcihng them and save the xtra dosh for spending money?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at some of the Shinco models we have one (1210 I think) and the battery will do 3 - 3.5 hours, and you can buy extra batteries.
  • Options
    p-51dp-51d Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A different solution might be to buy a PSP, get a 2-4GB memory stick and put movies on that, i seem to get longer battery life that way than my Panasonic DVD which lasts one movie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sean-rfc wrote:
    on long flights like so you will have constant on flight mivies might be worth just watcihng them and save the xtra dosh for spending money?

Yeah but that's the point, the airline only has the drop down screens that are difficult to see for adults never mind kids, we need something to occupy them on a 9 hour flight :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found a Hyundai model which is multi region with good reviews, anyone know if you can order spare batteries from anywhere, presumably they would be available?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/gadgets-gizmos/digital-dvd/freeview-dvd-tablet/index.html

The spec sounds really good. I have a Xoro standalone DivX DVD player and it plays pretty much anything. Has proved very reliable .... over 2 years old (was one of the early model DivX players) and no problems. German made .....

2.5 hours battery life and the battery is removable so presumably you'd be able to buy spares.

...... yup. You can:

http://www.3wisemonkeys.co.uk/proddet.jsp?src=Froogle&id=1537&cat=20

(that was the first link I found, dunno if you could shop around for a better price)

*** EDIT ***

Actually, that site ^^^ has the player for a bit less than IWantOneOfThose as well. They also have a shedload of other players ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spendleb wrote:
    Yeah but that's the point, the airline only has the drop down screens that are difficult to see for adults never mind kids, we need something to occupy them on a 9 hour flight :eek:

ususally on long flights with decent air lines there is a tv screen on the back of every head rest
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sean-rfc wrote:
    ususally on long flights with decent air lines there is a tv screen on the back of every head rest

Yeah going with Travel City Direct this time as the same holiday is £1000 less than Virgin, the downside is that they still don't have the seat back tv's :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sancheeez wrote:
    http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/gadgets-gizmos/digital-dvd/freeview-dvd-tablet/index.html

The spec sounds really good. I have a Xoro standalone DivX DVD player and it plays pretty much anything. Has proved very reliable .... over 2 years old (was one of the early model DivX players) and no problems. German made .....

2.5 hours battery life and the battery is removable so presumably you'd be able to buy spares.

...... yup. You can:

http://www.3wisemonkeys.co.uk/proddet.jsp?src=Froogle&id=1537&cat=20

(that was the first link I found, dunno if you could shop around for a better price)

*** EDIT ***

Actually, that site ^^^ has the player for a bit less than IWantOneOfThose as well. They also have a shedload of other players ....

Cheers, I like the look of the one with the 3.5" screen, would be ideal for my son and it also takes normal AA batteries so we could take a plentiful supply!
  • Options
    Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This probably isn't any help for you, but I've never really seen the appeal of portably DVD players. They tend to be around the £200 mark usually don't they? For £100 more you can get a fully featured budget laptop with a DVD player, which will play your DVDs (maybe with a longer battery life? I've never investigated battery life on laptops other than Macs).

jack
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sven945 wrote:
    This probably isn't any help for you, but I've never really seen the appeal of portably DVD players. They tend to be around the £200 mark usually don't they? For £100 more you can get a fully featured budget laptop with a DVD player, which will play your DVDs (maybe with a longer battery life? I've never investigated battery life on laptops other than Macs).

jack

Already got a laptop with a DVD player but the battery life is not great, can't see it even doing 2 hours to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dont spme planes have cigarette lighter sockets these days tht way u can just power it up from that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sean-rfc wrote:
    dont spme planes have cigarette lighter sockets these days tht way u can just power it up from that

Now that would be useful!