EZTV and YIFY torrent sites the latest to be 'banned'

Comments

• ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marlman wrote: »
    I only download TV shows so I for one will miss EZTV because it makes it so easy.

I love US TV shows they are so much better than ours and either have to wait months before they show here or most of the good ones never show.

I have Virgin so I cannot legally watch Game Of Thrones because Sky in there wisdom will not let Virgin have it.

So what do they expect people to do?

Anyway I am pretty computer savvy so there are plenty of other ways to get them so will just have to work a bit harder!

They expect people to pay or do without.
    Let's see how that works out.:)
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    as has been pointed out 0 is often reserved for default or unlimited.

But how sure are you that that is a sufficient defence?

How would you imagine that playing out? Suppose that one of the companies charged with detecting torrenting detect your IP in the peering network and incorrectly assume that you are seeding?

what happens next? and how are you better off than someone who was uploading? keeping in mind that this is likely to be civil court with the associated burden of proof.

Most home users are on dynamic IP, so it changes every time you log on. They can trace back to the ISP but do they keep a log of which address were allocated to who/when ?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's always been the case really. The old adage was actually close to "for every site that gets shut down, five will spring up in it's place".

I know EZTV is one of the more high profile sites though as they're quite respected in the field of TV rips, so maybe it was no than that really - which does lead me to wonder if isohunt is also on their radar ?

It wouldn't surprise me if they did go for that one soon. I know one thing though, if I find a torrent site that's good for variety I'm definitely not helping the industry in its mission to try and get them all shut down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if changing your DNS 'helps with browsing'?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Most home users are on dynamic IP, so it changes every time you log on. They can trace back to the ISP but do they keep a log of which address were allocated to who/when ?

they do yes.

they have to. there have been hundreds of thousands details obtained this way by norwich pharmacal orders by the likes of ACS:Law. and used for speculative invoicing scams.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I wonder if changing your DNS 'helps with browsing'?

nah. they don't bloke sites by DNS these days.
  • marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that was quick Virgin have stopped access to EZTV already!
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »
    you can look it up if you want to. why should i bother. i don't care if you think otherwise and get caught. that's your problem.
    Just admit you were wrong.

The playground-type response just makes you look foolish.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marlman wrote: »
    Well that was quick Virgin have stopped access to EZTV already!

BT too:(
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Took literally 5 seconds to find a different way to access eztv on BT.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »

He's entirely correct.

The position he's arguing against is absurd. That violating copyright law is not against the law.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »

i can't admit i'm wrong, as i'm not wrong so nothing to admit.

if you can spend a few seconds looking for something to download on a torrent site you can spend a few seconds on a search engine to find out i'm right. i'm not your parent or lawyer. i don't care if you don't believe me. in fact i'd rather you didn't believe me and you get caught and i can say i told you so
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    In the UK it is not illegal in criminal law to download material that is in copyright

If it wasn't illegal to download copyrighted content you'd be able to find sites that allowed you to download copyrighted content very easily, without typing in certain words as well. This is why the majority of computer users haven't a clue about how to download films/series/MP3s for nothing. You have to be told by someone who does it.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    He's entirely correct.

The position he's arguing against is absurd. That violating copyright law is not against the law.

If it was against the law then they would had taken people to court decades ago for recording off the radio onto cassette or from television onto VCR & then keeping the recordings for years to come.

Imho downloading a film or tv show onto your computer is no different to that of recording a film from TV onto a Video tape. The only difference is the quality & blank media involved. But if a film was on the BBC, then I would download the film from the internet as it would be in an uncut form.
    Forum Member
    If it was against the law then they would had taken people to court decades ago for recording off the radio onto cassette or from television onto VCR & then keeping the recordings for years to come.

Imho downloading a film or tv show onto your computer is no different to that of recording a film from TV onto a Video tape. The only difference is the quality & blank media involved. But if a film was on the BBC, then I would download the film from the internet as it would be in an uncut form.

That is your opinion on the ethics. But you know that has nothing to do with the law.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

how would they be able to police this with reasonable costs involved?

Imho downloading a film or tv show onto your computer is no different to that of recording a film from TV onto a Video tape.

as far as the law is concerned in the UK, that's correct. if you make a copy without permission, regardless of how you make the copy, it's illegal
    The only difference is the quality & blank media involved.
    But if a film was on the BBC, then I would download the film from the internet as it would be in an uncut form.

however in the UK timeshifting is legal and downloading is not. so there is a clear legal difference there. one is legal and one is not. that's why sky+ boxes and PVR's are allowed and VCR's that could record tv shows were allowed, whilst at the same time downloading isn't legal, as that's done without permission
  • StubcrouchStubcrouch Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    One view of the illegal download thing. It's a mad idea, but.......

Once upon a time we produced cars, they were arguably a little unreliable, came with vinyl seats and had a lot of wood in. You had to pay extra for a radio and a heated rear window to keep your hands warm when you were pushing it down the hill to start it in Winter.

Then along came these naughty Japanese chaps, they brought in these funny little cars with free radios, heated rear windows, fluffy corduroy seats and a unique plasticky smell of sick in the shiny new interior. They started in Winter as well!

So we had to take notice and offer a better deal ourselves or the pesky Japanese would put us out of business.

The rest is history, but we did try to compete to begin with.

If this was handled the same way as the internet - we'd fining everyone who bought a Japanese car before banning them completely!

(In a way we did do this, because at first only a certain number of Japanese cars were allowed to come into the country each year).

Yes, on the one hand - not paying for things is naughty and different from the analogy up there - Yes! You didn't get hundreds of people taking cars for test drives and then stealing them.

Although - in the eighties you did get a hell of a lot of people importing their cars from Europe - legitimately - because the prices of Cars in the UK was higher than the list price in France or the Netherlands for instance. In the end the Govt and UK car industry had to take notice and bring prices in line.

I think the Music and Film industry has been caught on the hop. I think they've taken a head in the sand Dinosaur attitude to new technology and have missed the boat.

Had they seen the extra potential for sales via streaming on the net - they would have set up their own hugely promoted websites offering affordable downloads.

After all - the history of business is quite often that someone else comes along and does it cheaper - which is what healthy competition is all about? Surely the multimillion dollar recording industry bods could afford to knock a bit off their own prices? It's not as if they pay some of their stars all that well to start with!

Trouble is - they haven't. They've treated the net with contempt (Just a theory) and they've ended up being well and truly shafted. You have always had Pirates! Who can forget "Home Taping is Killing Music!!"

Well, it didn't did it?

So the last resort of the Publishing Companies is simply to get together with their Pals in Government to clamp down on everyone and smack people's bums. When all they needed to do was to offer these services themselves in the first place!

But they didn't. It's Sour Grapes and Laziness on their part.

Don't jump on me - I'm just putting forward a light hearted view, just a whacky idea. It's not wholly how or what I think about it - Just sticking a book on the table to see if anyone wants to look at it.

Thought you might like to have fun with it! :)
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see the point of the blocks because a work around is up on the net in no time at all.
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I don't see the point of the blocks because a work around is up on the net in no time at all.

presumably some people just stumble up on these sites.

but anyone who is regularly downloading stuff is not going to stop because one disappears.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So stealing movies and music is OK because the internet makes it easy?
  • Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    If it wasn't illegal to download copyrighted content you'd be able to find sites that allowed you to download copyrighted content very easily, without typing in certain words as well. This is why the majority of computer users haven't a clue about how to download films/series/MP3s for nothing. You have to be told by someone who does it.

No shit Sherlock. :D

Plenty of computer users know about torrent sites. You don't need to be told by anyone. Plenty of news stories about torrent sites for people to see, when you search on google for videos or music certain torrent sites can come up. so people don't need to be told about their existence by more computer savvy people .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These sites will always get replaced by something new.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    it's illegal

yes it is

oh no it's not...

is this pantomime season? believe what you want, it's your problem not mine. but don't say i didn't warn you

It's not a criminal matter, you wouldn't be facing criminal charges if you downloaded music or films. You could be taken to court and made to pay a fine but that's not very likely. You might get chancers like ACAS law popping up and trying to threaten people, but look at what happened to them. Complete and utter joke.

Most of us know our rights thankfully.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I still have loads of VCR recordings dating back to the 90s. In fact I have a shelf full of them :D
    These sites will always get replaced by something new.

Exactly. It's like whack-a-mole with them.