Freewind on Free Radio

Crapital FartCrapital Fart Posts: 401
Forum Member
Free Radio have replaced their Guess the Year hour at 9am with a new Freewind hour.

They now play an hour of old school tunes but not from the same year. The songs are much more upbeat now, yesterday they played Architechs - Body Groove, Notorious BIG - Mo Money Mo Problems, Baby D - Let Me Be Your Fantasy and The Original - I Love U Baby. The choice of music was better than Kisstory and Reloaded on Xtra. You can request the songs here www.freeradio.co.uk/freewind/

hopefully they will extend the program to other times of the day or even replace Free Radio 80s with Freewind.

Comments

• InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freewind? Is that a side effect of eating baked beans?
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,357
    Forum Member
    So they've taken the idea of the KISSTORY hour and Freegurgitated it.
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »
    So they've taken the idea of the KISSTORY hour and Freegurgitated it.

To be fair, Kiss isn't available in the West Midlands (except on DAB obv).
  • Martin KongMartin Kong Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

hopefully they will extend the program to other times of the day or even replace Free Radio 80s with Freewind.

That won't work on AM. However they could put it on Saturday evening, find mix versions of those tracks and called the programme........

'Saturday Night Freemix'.
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That won't work on AM. However they could put it on Saturday evening, find mix versions of those tracks and called the programme........

'Saturday Night Freemix'.

It would be slightly remiscent of the 'hot mix' show on Friday night BRMB back in the early 90s

It might work as a DAB channel, although that would obviously depend on MUX space, which I'm guessing isn't very plentiful in Brum
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    It would be slightly remiscent of the 'hot mix' show on Friday night BRMB back in the early 90s

Funny enough that show was also on Mercia aswell.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They better not.

I like Free Radio 80's.
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Em Gee there was networking in the early 90s????

But surely its a new phenomena designed for the internet age to complain about???

;-)
  • Crapital FartCrapital Fart Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    There's a whole day of Freewind on Free Radio this Bank Holiday Monday.
    Forum Member
    Freewind is now also on air Saturday nights from 1900 to 0000.

They've made a few other changes to Free Radio in the last few days, like getting rid of the Sky news bulletins at night, getting rid of 80s music (listened to 2 hours of their breakfast show on Friday continuously and didn't hear a single 80s song) and making the playlist much more upbeat. Their playing a lot more dance music now. Also the football commentary has been axed from Free80s, as expected, given that Absolute 105.2 will have FM premier league commentaries from next month in addition to BBC WMs coverage of all the local teams and Signal 107s Wolves commentaries. Free radio have also stripped the news section of their website to just 4 or 5 national stories plus their twitter news updates feed.
  • AetnlaAetnla Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am annoyed about them getting rid of the night news bulletins. I am now having to switch station for a news update.
  • SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »

It might work as a DAB channel, although that would obviously depend on MUX space, which I'm guessing isn't very plentiful in Brum

A 24/7 Freewind could in theory be run as an online/app stream at first, in the manner of Kisstory/KissFresh beginning online and Freeview before they went to DAB, or Smooth 70s running as an online stream (IIRC alongside 60s and soul feeds) before its DAB phase. With the right capabilities of RadioPlayer and web/app design, such spinoffs could easily be linked back to the parent station, much as, say, Kiss and Absolute's siblings do...

As they don't yet have the brand portfolio of the bigger groups, Orion potentially have a little room to experiment, to play around with other formats, to see what works most effectively (commercially and editorially), and then bring the better-performing formulas that emerge from this out over linear radio platforms in the longer term, subject to available capacity, Look at what Pirate are doing, for instance - new digital-first siblings which are distinct from the originating station in audio, but build on the established resources and experience therein...
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aetnla wrote: »
    I am annoyed about them getting rid of the night news bulletins. I am now having to switch station for a news update.
    I know a news service costs.
    But I dislike stations that stop news bulletins after 7pm. Those of us on shifts in large warehouse for example like to know what so happening.
  • sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And Leicester Sound!
  • Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a news service costs.
    But I dislike stations that stop news bulletins after 7pm. Those of us on shifts in large warehouse for example like to know what so happening.

There'll be no cost saving in ditching the news.

Those bulletins are included in the blanket IRN/Sky service they subscribe to... so they're paying whether or not they take them.

So it's an editorial decision based on what (they think) listeners want to hear.
  • EPIC.PERSON.EPIC.PERSON. Posts: 906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too am disappointed in the loss of news.

Back to the topic and I think Freewind on Friday and Saturday evenings is a good move. In a way is a replacement for Free Radio Anthems. The weekend evening shows have been going downhill since James Hall left (now on The Hits daytimes) but Phil Ray on Sundays has presented a good show although I can't see this continuing as he presents weekday overnights primarily. It meant that Phil could be heard on Free Radio from 19:00 yesterday until 06:00 this morning then 06:00-09:00 on Free 80s for breakfast. Emily Segal has presented two Saturday evening shows that haven't been poor, they've just been mediocre and contained nothing memorable.
  • robrymondukrobrymonduk Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder if people really think Phil has presented live between 7pm and 6am. It is nice to hear him live as he does so much VT but seems odd to stick him on cover before his overnight show (I think it is temporary).

Good move ditching 80s music even though I like it a lot. Not noticed the more upbeat music yet but I'll keep an ear out. There playlist was quite dully and dreary at times, full of Sam Smith, Ellie Goulding type stuff so this is a good move.

Not heard Freewind but sounds good to have it Fri and Sat nights.
    Forum Member
    More changes noticed today...

The :30 past news and sport bulletins are back during breakfast and drive. For the last few weeks for some reason they had been splitting it into a news only bulletin at :20 past and a sport only bulletin at :40 past the hour.

The public file also confirms that they now have some automated programs on weekend early evenings!

It also says that news bulletins prepared by Sky may be broadcast in some hours.

www.freeradio.co.uk/public-file/public-file-birmingham/
  • EPIC.PERSON.EPIC.PERSON. Posts: 906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The :30 past news and sport bulletins are back during breakfast and drive. For the last few weeks for some reason they had been splitting it into a news only bulletin at :20 past and a sport only bulletin at :40 past the hour.

The public file also confirms that they now have some automated programs on weekend early evenings!

It also says that news bulletins prepared by Sky may be broadcast in some hours.

Moving the news back to top of the hour and half past is a good move. It was just over the top doing the headlines at xx:50 and then the full news at xx:00. Sky News bulletins have been used in between 20:00 and 05:00 on weekdays and most of the day except breakfast on weekends for quite some time.

Is 'weekend early evenings' referring to Saturdays 15:00-19:00 (which I would consider an afternoon show) or 19:00-00:00 (which I would consider an evening show)? The word 'early' there causes confusion.
  • greatvoicegreatvoice Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    It's still an awful listen , give me Smooth or Heart anytime.
  • greatvoicegreatvoice Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    greatvoice wrote: »
    It's still an awful listen , give me Smooth or Heart anytime.

And yet GEM has to be complimented , for being very listenable.
  • robrymondukrobrymonduk Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its about the 3rd or 4th time that the format has been tinkered with during breakfast. Hopefully this one stays as it is. Foxy and Guilano do shorter links more often now it seems.
  • FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give the new Free Radio a go. Seems like it's a US hot ac attempt, which I'm convinced should work in England.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    greatvoice wrote: »
    And yet GEM has to be complimented , for being very listenable.

Never understood why the whole thing wasn't called GEM - it's a better name than Free
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Never understood why the whole thing wasn't called GEM - it's a better name than Free

Gem stand for Great East midlands, which doesn't go well with the West Midlands.