Crumpets

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have the time they are lovely home made!

Yeasty and warm, yummy!

That didnt take long:)
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    I don't like crumpets - as someone said above, nasty rubbery things.

What people really like are the toppings e.g the oozing butter, jam etc, which I feel might as well be had on bread or toast.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I don't like crumpets - as someone said above, nasty rubbery things.

What people really like are the toppings e.g the oozing butter, jam etc, which I feel might as well be had on bread or toast.

They are not rubbery if you get the right ones and toast them right.
    Proper butter and Jam on toast, mmm, A nice whole meal bread with plenty of flavour.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone eating them rubbery hasn't cooked them enough, they need to be thoroughly toasted to be the right consistency. They also have no fat until you put the topping on personally I like butter on mine so yes a bit fatty.
  • kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Warburtons for me too though I wish they would put them in packs of eight as I like to eat them in fours.

M&S do some sourdough ones now which were nicer than I expected.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They call them Pikelets in Leicester .... I thought this was very funny when I went to live there and had no idea what they were talking about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    They call them Pikelets in Leicester .... I thought this was very funny when I went to live there and had no idea what they were talking about.

My mum used to call them pikelets and my Mates mum who is from Sctoland also calls them Pikelets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Anyone eating them rubbery hasn't cooked them enough, they need to be thoroughly toasted to be the right consistency. They also have no fat until you put the topping on personally I like butter on mine so yes a bit fatty.

Decent butter, mind you not cheap stuff. I used Whey butter on mine.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    My mum used to call them pikelets and my Mates mum who is from Sctoland also calls them Pikelets.

I thought Pikelets were basically thin crumpets, but theyre two different things arent they? :confused:
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I thought Pikelets were basically thin crumpets, but theyre two different things arent they? :confused:

Yes pikelets are thinner by far.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »

They're more or less the same recipe, but you put the batter in a ring on the pan/griddle for a crumpet and you don't use a ring for a pikelet, so the batter spreads out.
    That's why a crumpet has straight sides and a pikelet has no sides to speak of.
  • Michael09Michael09 Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Warburtons lovely, thick and fluffy :) And I eat them without butter, how weird am I!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    They're more or less the same recipe, but you put the batter in a ring on the pan/griddle for a crumpet and you don't use a ring for a pikelet, so the batter spreads out.
    That's why a crumpet has straight sides and a pikelet has no sides to speak of.

Pikelets is really a aussie pancake, I also think it have something to do with New Zealand as well if I remember rightly.

I have no idea why people call crumpets pikelets, I have always called them crumpets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael09 wrote: »
    Another vote for Warburtons lovely, thick and fluffy :) And I eat them without butter, how weird am I!

Got to have butter. nice and thick,
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I have no idea why people call crumpets pikelets, I have always called them crumpets.
    I remember being surprised to find that crumpets was just another name for pikelets. I've never seen the pancake-like variety.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love crumpets and Warburtons were always my favourite but I don't eat them any more as I'm doing Slimming World and would only eat crumpets dripping with butter so they're out :(

The crumpet itself isn't fatty though, each 55g Warburtons crumpet contains 0.4g of fat (0.1g saturates).
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,987
    Forum Member
    kegsie wrote: »
    Warburtons for me too though I wish they would put them in packs of eight as I like to eat them in fours.

M&S do some sourdough ones now which were nicer than I expected.

Wow, four crumpets in the one go. That's umm... impressive.

Surely then you buy 2 packets which gives you 3 servings. I keep mine in the freezer and just toast from frozen.
  • Chirpy_ChickenChirpy_Chicken Posts: 1,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone had Scots crumpets, slightly different and sweet. had them for first time last year in Wigtown and they are devine, managed to make them pretty well to!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone had Scots crumpets, slightly different and sweet. had them for first time last year in Wigtown and they are devine, managed to make them pretty well to!

Im originally from Sctland & my mother & grandma made them. Lovely fried as well with bacon & eggs etc.:)
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,973
    Forum Member
    I love buttered crumpets :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I remember being surprised to find that crumpets was just another name for pikelets. I've never seen the pancake-like variety.

Completely different to crumpets. Pikeltes don't have yeast in for a start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love crumpets and Warburtons were always my favourite but I don't eat them any more as I'm doing Slimming World and would only eat crumpets dripping with butter so they're out :(

The crumpet itself isn't fatty though, each 55g Warburtons crumpet contains 0.4g of fat (0.1g saturates).

Try some spread on that is lower in fat, not sure what it will taste like mind you.
    Try Vitalite, so far it is seems to be the best spread for toast apart from butter, so maybe it will be ok on Crumpets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A lot different. but never tried them myself.
  • ThistledownThistledown Posts: 4,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to be Warburtons. A dieters dream for breakfast with a thin marmite coating. Tinned tomatoes added makes a yummy lunch.
  • Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    I do like crumpets. If I have them I tend to have them on a Sunday evening for my tea. I love them with marmite and cheese on, warburtons are best

Warburtons all the way! Although my fella bought some Easter bunny shaped ones from Asda that were nice. Sainsburys do some square toaster ones. I only toast one side and cover in butter and marmalade yum yum.