Who's jailbroken on the new IOS 6.1 JB?

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Why on earth would the iTunes store remove its log?

Seems to me you have to bypass iTunes 100%. No more purchases there.

what has the itunes store got to do with anything?
    i suspect you're purposely being obtuse in an attempt to start a debate.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently in the market for a new phone and i'm all but certain to get a 4s, and I was looking at this jailbreak as a potential means of unlocking the phone myself for free.

Would it be as easy as that ?

I did a similar thing a few years back with an old 3G I had and used an app from Cydia to unlock it with no issues.

I'm really only considering the option as the difference in price between a locked 4S and an unlocked one at CEX is £90 quid.

I'm not sure if there's an unlock available for a 4s on the newest software? But even if there is I'd get the locked one and then whatever network it's on get that provider to unlock it, normally costs about £15-20, so your still saving £70.

Other bad thing about jailbreak unlocking is that if you want to restore the phone or install new software when apple releases it you won't be able to until someone updates the software unlocking process, a lot of trouble all for the sake of 15-20 quid of doing it properly
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    what has the itunes store got to do with anything?
    i suspect you're purposely being obtuse in an attempt to start a debate.
    Its not me denying that Apple will know it is jailbroken.

Whether they honour a warranty in this situation is debatable.
    It'd say they would, but if any moisture detectors have changed colour other mild damage will not make them so willing (edited - my 'unwilling' spelling/grammar)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not me denying that Apple will know it is jailbroken.

correct, you're denying that they won't know.
    Whether they honour a warranty in this situation is debatable.

they do, and have done.
    i've had ipod touches and previous iphones that have been jailbroken on occasion and restored and it's never caused any problem. in fact they've never done anything to even suggest they checked.
    It'd say they would, but if any moisture detectors have changed colour other mild damage will not make them so unwilling

jailbreaking won't trigger any moisture detectors.
    software also doesn't cause any damage to the device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    correct, you're denying that they won't know.
    Its closed proprietary software.
    Use iTunes store and you follow their rules. No way on earth would they not monitor changes prior to any new app installation.

Its even got positive user benefits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its closed proprietary software.
    Use iTunes store and you follow their rules. No way on earth would they not monitor changes prior to any new app installation.

Its even got positive user benefits.

if that were true, then they could easily put into place a system where it blocks you from purchasing anything from the app store if a jailbroken device is detected - but they don't.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if that were true, then they could easily put into place a system where it blocks you from purchasing anything from the app store if a jailbroken device is detected - but they don't.

I dont think they can tell its been jailbroken, if you've restore to an original image. But them not stopping you from using iTunes is NOT proof that they cant tell you are jailbroken.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But them not stopping you from using iTunes is NOT proof that they cant tell you are jailbroken.

but until someone provides proof that the can tell then it's just hearsay.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but until someone provides proof that the can tell then it's just hearsay.

Eh? Third party apps can tell, thats pretty good proof. Sky streaming specifically.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there's an unlock available for a 4s on the newest software? But even if there is I'd get the locked one and then whatever network it's on get that provider to unlock it, normally costs about £15-20, so your still saving £70.

Other bad thing about jailbreak unlocking is that if you want to restore the phone or install new software when apple releases it you won't be able to until someone updates the software unlocking process, a lot of trouble all for the sake of 15-20 quid of doing it properly

I know when I tried to de-unlock the 3G I had, it did screw it up rather royally. I'm certainly open to getting a locked handset and paying for the unlock, but most networks want you to be an existing customer or to have been with them for X amount of months minimum.

I know Orange take up to a month to get back to you with a code and I really couldn't put up with this tiny handset that I have for another month, because it would probably just pack up all together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh? Third party apps can tell, thats pretty good proof. Sky streaming specifically.

the sky go app checks for an app called "cydia" apparently.
    it doesn't stop you installing or running the app, it just disables the ability to stream video.

restoring iOS lets the sky go run normally again.

we are specifically talking about jailbreaks being detected AFTER a restore has been done.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't be bothered with Jailbreaking, anymore.

The only thing I still miss is the ability to set a default browser, but that isn't such the issue it used to be now that the various Google apps all have the option to open links in Chrome, plus non-Google apps are starting to do that too (e.g. Tweetbot was updated this week, adding the ability to open links in Chrome).
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I JB both iPad and iPhone for the first time. Installed a theme on each, coloured keyboard, bite SMS (fantastic) and a couple of other tweets like adding an extra icon to the doc on iPhone.

Is it all of Sky+ app that doesn't work? Mine has been fine so far but is that because I have no ifile?

PJ.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky Go doesn't work, due to "licensing restrictions" or some other such nonsense (separate rights for watching something on a battery powered mobile device versus a television) - if it did work, it could be possible to get around the HDMI/AirPlay prohibition, hence it's not allowed on JB'd devices.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    The Sky+ app works, it's the Sky Go app that doesn't.
  • srw985srw985 Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I took an out of warranty iPhone 4 to the Apple Store, Trafford Centre because the home button had developed an intermittent fault.

The genius swiped the top bar to see SBSettings appear. Told me to go home, restore the device and remove the jailbreak, and then they would replace it for free, despite the warranty having expired a few months previous and the jailbreak.

When I returned the promise was honoured, the genius i spoke to then put the serial number into his computer, saw the previous genius's notes about the jailbreak, then replaced the phone for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srw985 wrote: »
    I took an out of warranty iPhone 4 to the Apple Store, Trafford Centre because the home button had developed an intermittent fault.

The genius swiped the top bar to see SBSettings appear. Told me to go home, restore the device and remove the jailbreak, and then they would replace it for free, despite the warranty having expired a few months previous and the jailbreak.

When I returned the promise was honoured, the genius i spoke to then put the serial number into his computer, saw the previous genius's notes about the jailbreak, then replaced the phone for me.

Quite impressed with that actually. Many places would tell you where to go if you'd jailbroken or flashed another rom if you're on Android.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I mean.

Now if you had been jogging with the phone in your pocket and caused the moisture detector to go off what then?
    In the last comment it was only that known button problem. Here we now have a non compliant phone that technically has an invalidated warranty and also just happens to have been jailbroken.

I have previously said the same with regards to rooting an expensive new Android phone. Wait x number of months. (24 or 12).
    The benefits are just too small to chance it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting very tempted to jailbreak ..

Partially because I hate surfing using Safari because of the adverts - I guess i'm so used to not having any from Android, so it's something I'd ideally want. There's one site I visit that actually kicks you in to the Apple App Store so the site itself basically becomes unusable.

The ZX Spectrum emulator would also be well worth getting as well.. but i'm not sure .. one small part of the reason I got a 4s in the first place is to get away from the whole phone hacking idea with flashing roms and the like that i'd spent years doing on Android.

But Safari really bugs me :)
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iOS 6.1.3 is expected to be realised by Apple soon and it has been widely reported by beta testers that Apple has patched some of the exploits used by the Evasi0n jailbreak. So basically if you're thinking of jailbreaking it might be an idea doing it sooner rather then later....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    iOS 6.1.3 is expected to be realised by Apple soon and it has been widely reported by beta testers that Apple has patched some of the exploits used by the Evasi0n jailbreak. So basically if you're thinking of jailbreaking it might be an idea doing it sooner rather then later....

As per this guy, if Apple roll out the 6.1.3 update and you update to this version then you most likely wont be able to jailbreak it until they release new jailbreak software.

I was jailbroken on ios 5.1.1 for about 6 months or so, then prior to that i was jailbroken for a while. Then i tried IOS 6.1 but some of the tweaks i wanted wouldnt work, and then theres the fact that if Apple release an update you cant just install it like anyone else, unless you want to lose your jailbreak and all of your tweaks(unless you backed those up). Also my iphone 4s took about 50 seconds to boot up from a reboot when it was jailbroken on ios 5.1.1, now it unjailbroken on ios 6.1.2 it takes about 20-22 seconds, massive difference. And certain apps load up 1-2 seconds quicker aswell, whether its the update in software or running unjailbroken i dont know, or a mixture of both maybe.

I find that since ios5 and above most features that you used to jailbreak for are now included as standard, i also just prefer my phone to work now, as opposed to messing around with it making it slower etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been reading about the 6.1.3 update and how it apparently patches at least one of the exploits, I'll have to decide I suppose. I'm not interested in getting any cracked apps or stuff like that as i'm quite happy to pay for what i want, but there are certainly a couple of benefits I can see to doing it - removing some of the stock apps i'd never use as well would probably be worthwhile as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When apple release a new software update with loads of new features(maybe ios7), would you not be bothered about the fact you wouldn't be able to update your phone and would have to wait weeks or months until there was a jailbreak out for it

If not then go ahead, you've got nothing to lose. Just backup in iTunes first just incase
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    When apple release a new software update with loads of new features(maybe ios7), would you not be bothered about the fact you wouldn't be able to update your phone and would have to wait weeks or months until there was a jailbreak out for it

If not then go ahead, you've got nothing to lose. Just backup in iTunes first just incase

That aspect of it as well would certainly move me in the direction of not doing it. I suppose if you believe the rumours about the iPhone 5s launching around July time, that would be the most likely time you'd get a major iOS update as well, so it wouldn't be that far off.

I shall have to make up my mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are certainly more reasons to jailbreak an iPad than root a Droid.

e.g. Apple thinks that the common standard BT GPS is not good enough so they have their own licensed proprietary protocol.

You often need jailbreak to connect.