rspa cant come out til morning how can we keep it alive

Comments

• AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    anyone????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no wildlife centre nearby ? is it injured from the cat ?dont know what to suggest, maybe a dark box with a saucer of water and a tea towel for it to hide in
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may give you some help...

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/200593/orphaned-ducklings-help

Basically, keep it warm, dry, safe from predators (which includes the cat) and as you probably haven't got duckling food available, some honey in water will keep it hydrated.

Provide it with a mirror so it thinks it's got company and then it is less likely to imprint on you. You may have some difficulty feeding it as, like chicks, it will mimic what it sees so unless you want to get down there and mimic pecking at food...

Good luck, hope it makes it through the night and that you can get it to a an animal rescue / RSPCA asap tomorrow.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I haven't any advice, I just wanted to say good luck and I hope it makes it.

Normandie's advice sounds good though.
    Forum Member
    Hi thanks for the tips

Proabably should have posted in advice really, was in a panic lst night.

anyway, it survived the night, not sure it is a duck think it may be a gosling or something. It's not tiny, probably so I'm wondering if I should try it with bread or somehting
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the tips

Proabably should have posted in advice really, was in a panic lst night.

anyway, it survived the night, not sure it is a duck think it may be a gosling or something. It's not tiny, probably so I'm wondering if I should try it with bread or somehting
    Edit

It's about the size of a pigeon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely not bread.

As it's not tiny - I was thinking it was hand-size tiny - you could try it on some finely chopped fruit (apple, peach, say) along with - if you've got a garden or open land nearby - chopped grass, dandelions, plantains, etc. They peck at a lot of greenery in the wild. The info in the link I supplied last night suggested this:

<< 6. Green feed (lettuce, spinach, tender young grass, etc.) chopped to 1/4-inch lengths and sprinkled in the water and on the feed helps get goslings as well as ducklings to eat quickly, and off to a fast start. >>

They do need protein so if you can find worms and chop those up, any insects (though as I'm rather fond of insects I feel bad about suggesting this!) or if you've got some meat or fish, prawns, etc you could chop up small pieces to about the size of a small fingernail - and mix that in with the chopped greenery. This will mimic what they would be finding in and around a pond. Make sure it has a good sized container of water but try and ensure it cannot knock it over or climb in.

But I am not an expert on this, just suggesting what seems logical.

Do you know where the cat might have got it from? Local pond? Neighbours' garden if any keep fowl? It sounds of a size where it could just be released back to a pond but I'm just guessing and the RSPCA will advise you accurately on this.
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »
    Definitely not bread.

As it's not tiny - I was thinking it was hand-size tiny - you could try it on some finely chopped fruit (apple, peach, say) along with - if you've got a garden or open land nearby - chopped grass, dandelions, plantains, etc. They peck at a lot of greenery in the wild. The info in the link I supplied last night suggested this:

<< 6. Green feed (lettuce, spinach, tender young grass, etc.) chopped to 1/4-inch lengths and sprinkled in the water and on the feed helps get goslings as well as ducklings to eat quickly, and off to a fast start. >>

They do need protein so if you can find worms and chop those up, any insects (though as I'm rather fond of insects I feel bad about suggesting this!) or if you've got some meat or fish, prawns, etc you could chop up small pieces to about the size of a small fingernail - and mix that in with the chopped greenery. This will mimic what they would be finding in and around a pond. Make sure it has a good sized container of water but try and ensure it cannot knock it over or climb in.

But I am not an expert on this, just suggesting what seems logical.

Do you know where the cat might have got it from? Local pond? Neighbours' garden if any keep fowl? It sounds of a size where it could just be released back to a pond but I'm just guessing and the RSPCA will advise you accurately on this.

Thanks again
    I don't think it can just be released, it obviously can't fly and it's feathers are very damaged - most of them are on our patio:mad:.
    We have stream nearby so I assume it came from there, though I've never actually seen babie/ families of ducks or whatever there. I saw a pair of ducks looking as if they were going to set up home there last year but assumed it never happended as I only saw them once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You haven't mentioned its damage / injuries before. In that case, the RSPCA it is. As soon as possible because cats have bacteria-ridden mouths and any wounds will quickly become infected and that will kill the bird.
    Forum Member
    You haven't mentioned its damage / injuries before. In that case, the RSPCA it is. As soon as possible because cats have bacteria-ridden mouths and any wounds will quickly become infected and that will kill the bird.
    You're right I hadn't, I was telling my friend about it as I was posting on here and forgot I'd told her about it being injured but not posted it here.
    It seem quite contented this morning, I'd love to know what it is. None of the images I'm googling seem to match. It's beak is quite pointy.
    Waiting in for RSPCA to call now, hopefully they will be here soon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got a photo you can put up on Photobucket or similar that you can link to from here? I'm interested too. :)
    Forum Member
    Daughter took a pic, will try and post it later
    Forum Member
    Sorry to take so long to update. Been away for the weekend but also a bit embarrassed. it was a pigeon:o
  • eggplanteggplant Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would explain why it's about the size of a pigeon then. Mistaken identity may be not that surprising as you rarely if ever see baby pigeons.
    Forum Member
    eggplant wrote: »
    That would explain why it's about the size of a pigeon then. Mistaken identity may be not that surprising as you rarely if ever see baby pigeons.

Quite

that's what the rspca man said, too
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Sorry to take so long to update. Been away for the weekend but also a bit embarrassed. it was a pigeon:o

Dont be embarrassed. All friends here.

I'd still quite like to see a picture of the pigeon the cat brought home.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

Sorry, but :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been away for the weekend but also a bit embarrassed. it was a pigeon:o
    :D But don't be embarassed. I'm sure the pigeon was pleased to be rescued - and they deserve a chance at life too. :)

It does also explain why you hadn't seen any sign of duck parents...
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    When we found a baby pigeon we were told to feed it soggy weetabix by the rescue lady.
    Forum Member
    :D But don't be embarassed. I'm sure the pigeon was pleased to be rescued - and they deserve a chance at life too. :)

It does also explain why you hadn't seen any sign of duck parents...

Thanks again all, I just can't believe I didn't look at it's feet:o:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Sorry but your thread had me laughing. Anyway thankfully your little pigeon is ok.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Lol this made my day, please post a pic!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    What made MY day was the RSPCA actually turned up.
  • 3PS3PS Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Came to look at a update and got a smile on my face lol. Did the guy take the pigeon? Good job you didn't throw it in a pond lol
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit

It's about the size of a pigeon

Maybe it is a pigeon. :D