Wembley gig - advice, tips

AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
Forum Member
Off to a big gig at Wembley in a couple of weeks and due to various circumstances have been very diorganised about planning the trip.

Hotels nearby are of course very pricey so i'm assuming a resonably priced central London one might be best.

just wondered if anyone has any tips for hotels and also an idea of timing eg how long does it take to get there and get on/off tube etc on gig nights when it's teaming with people.

Time's a bit tight as i can only get the afternnon off work and we have to drive down from Coventry

Thanks

Comments

• wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Hotels in central london will be ALOT pricier than ones near wembley.
    Look on the tube map, check out the jubilee line and find a hotel on any of the stations before or after wembley park. This was you can get back easily.

From the Wembley Park tube station its less than 5 mins to wembley arena, and less than 10 mins to the stadium.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I wondered about Harrow on the hill - think it's on the Metropolitan line - would that be doable do you think?
    Forum Member
    Yes Harrow on the Hill is only about 10 mins tube ride to Wembely Park, and hotels would probably be slightly cheaper as its further out of London.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a Hilton right next to the stadium, but I assume it'll be quite costly.

There is a Holiday Inn near the O2 in Greenwhich. A bit of way out and further south, but Wembley Park tube is then straight on the Jubilee Line (only about 45 - 50 minutes) from North Greenwhich.

When you come out of Wembley, it'll be packed. I've only ever gone to and from there via Wembley Park, and they'll stop the crowd every now and then along the walkway. The station will be busy - Jubilee Line usually more so - but if you try and stand at the end of the platforms at the of the train, you'll get on more quickly.
  • PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it you're going to see Robbie Williams? have fun, i love him :)
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't go to Greenwich it'll take forever to get back there! Harrow on hill sounds good. The jubilee line tends to be less busy than met line. But as mentioned, check engineering works the day you're going on tfl.gov.uk
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    There is a Hilton right next to the stadium, but I assume it'll be quite costly.

There is a Holiday Inn near the O2 in Greenwhich. A bit of way out and further south, but Wembley Park tube is then straight on the Jubilee Line (only about 45 - 50 minutes) from North Greenwhich.

When you come out of Wembley, it'll be packed. I've only ever gone to and from there via Wembley Park, and they'll stop the crowd every now and then along the walkway. The station will be busy - Jubilee Line usually more so - but if you try and stand at the end of the platforms at the of the train, you'll get on more quickly.

Or do what I do and miss the encore and you will escape the majority of the crowding when leaving.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Off to a big gig at Wembley in a couple of weeks and due to various circumstances have been very diorganised about planning the trip.

Hotels nearby are of course very pricey so i'm assuming a resonably priced central London one might be best.

just wondered if anyone has any tips for hotels and also an idea of timing eg how long does it take to get there and get on/off tube etc on gig nights when it's teaming with people.

Time's a bit tight as i can only get the afternnon off work and we have to drive down from Coventry

Thanks

If you're coming from Coventry have a look around Watford. Watford tube goes direct to Wembley, and Watford's near the M1.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also look on www.laterooms.com for a hotel do check reviews elsewhere before booking though
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member

Thanks

Park at Stanmore, tube to Wembley Park (10 minutes), do the reverse afterwards, drive home and save yourself the hotel. If you're going to stay the night in central London, go by train rather than driving, because driving into central London is total madness.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    Don't go to Greenwich it'll take forever to get back there! Harrow on hill sounds good. The jubilee line tends to be less busy than met line. But as mentioned, check engineering works the day you're going on tfl.gov.uk

It doesn't take that long to get back to Greenwich. About 45 minutes or so. I suggested it because once you're on it, it's just one tube straight there, no changes. Plus I suggested it because there is a Holiday Inn right by Greenwich, which I thought may be an option for the OP to stay in if other more central options were more expensive.

it's strange, as the Jubilee Line always seems busier to me.
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ibatten wrote: »
    Park at Stanmore, tube to Wembley Park (10 minutes), do the reverse afterwards, drive home and save yourself the hotel. If you're going to stay the night in central London, go by train rather than driving, because driving into central London is total madness.

Sound advice, this would be my choice along with someone elses suggestion of missing any encores and getting out before the rush starts!
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Sound advice, this would be my choice along with someone elses suggestion of missing any encores and getting out before the rush starts!

But, but, but, this is Robbie we're talking about!:D

Seriously - thanks everyone, will make a decision this weekend about how to play it.

@poprocket -Me too!:D
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But, but, but, this is Robbie we're talking about!:D

Seriously - thanks everyone, will make a decision this weekend about how to play it.

@poprocket -Me too!:D

I'm very much of the 'watch the whole thing and just live with the queues' school. And you know that Angels will be the encore!

Don't go to Greenwich - there really isn't any point unless you want to be in central London for some reason. There are lots of hotels options.