no meal on 4 hour flight ??

AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
Forum Member
Hi

I'm not a very experienced traveller, only really flown to Italy and Scotland but on all flights meals or at least tea and cakes/ sandwiches have been provided.

Off to Crete next month with Thompson, I think the flight is about 4 hours, plus about 2 hour transfer afterwards and have been told it's classed as short haul so no meals are available ( meals were provided on a 2 hour Thompson flight last year).
we fly about at 7 am so won't really want a huge meal before we go, but 6 hours seems a long time, especailly if there are any delays. Plus I find that the meal helps pass the time
What do people usually do? Are there snacks etc to buy, or do people buy stuff a the airport and take it on board? Is that allowed? Is it acceptable/polite to take, say MAcdonalds, on board?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure they don't have meals to BUY onboard?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you will probably be offered sandwiches and other snacks to purchase on the flight.

The other option would be pick up something at the airport before your board. Don't know about etiquette in UK but in the US where an internal flight can last 5 hours, I often saw people bring fast food on board.

Edit: From their website, yes to buying food on board, yes to bringing your own food (though only cold food recommended)

http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/faqs/flights/in-flight-food-and-entertainment.html
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will definitely be food available to purchase.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I consider that lucky, I've yet to discover an in-flight meal that would be fit for our rats let alone human consumption. I actually object to having the price included in the flight when the only edible part if you are lucky is a bread roll...

Beside which I can't believe someone can't go four hours without having to eat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most companies charge you for a meal during the booking process these days, as others have mentioned, there will be snacks available to purchase on board.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    sahalouise wrote: »
    Most companies charge you for a meal during the booking process these days, as others have mentioned, there will be snacks available to purchase on board.

Buying a meal wasn't an option - we did check

Gneiss - as I said it will be quite a bit more than 4 hours - I did explain my reasoning but thanks for your help anyway:rolleyes:
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either buy something in the airport to take on board, or make sandwiches at home the night before.
    Rememer that you won't be able to take your owns bottled drinks thru security, so buy airside.

Wouldn't recommend taking a MacD on board as
    There will be at least three quarters of an hour between buying and being able to eat it on the plane... waiting at gate, queueing to board, waiting for muppets to stow their dozens of bits of luggage, then the wait for "the last two passengers".
    So it will be cold and soggy by then!

Buy sandwiches from boots or Pret a Manger...maybe have a little bag on you to carry them in so they don't get all squashed.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually bring a snack with me on a 3 hour early flight . I have a breakfast bar and a few digestive biscuits or a wrapped cake /muffin .I buy an orange juice when past security . You could buy a roll but I have found the shops still closed so early and so bring my own .
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find food served on planes is vile anyway. We never order a meal onboard and always cater for ourselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take sandwiches, crisps snacks from home that's what we always do - cheaper and generally nicer than what you'll get in the airport or on the plane
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Buying a meal wasn't an option - we did check

Yes, you can't book them in advance, but you can buy them on board. From their website:

"We've launched a brand new range of food and drink you can buy onboard our shorter flights. Choose from hot and cold drinks as well as light bites or more substantial snacks. Plus, there’s a range of healthy and vegetarian options*. Simply take your pick from the menu and order from a member of cabin crew."
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meals are standard only on mid or long-haul flights these days, (basically if you're crossing the Atlantic or going further than Turkey) and it's been the case for most airlines for quite a while...

Anyway, don't take a McDonalds - a) it'll annoy everyone sitting anywhere near you, and b) you won't have anywhere to put it during take-off apart from the overhead locker or under the seat, neither of which strike me as particularly hygienic. Some airlines I've flown on allow you to take hot drinks onboard for that reason, so I highly doubt a McDonalds would be allowed.

Buy a Boots meal deal or make some sandwiches at home and bring them with you. Buy drinks after security or on the plane.
  • Pearl McGPearl McG Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    Meals are standard only on mid or long-haul flights these days, (basically if you're crossing the Atlantic or going further than Turkey) and it's been the case for most airlines for quite a while...

Anyway, don't take a McDonalds - a) it'll annoy everyone sitting anywhere near you, and b) you won't have anywhere to put it during take-off apart from the overhead locker or under the seat, neither of which strike me as particularly hygienic. Some airlines I've flown on allow you to take hot drinks onboard for that reason, so I highly doubt a McDonalds would be allowed.

Buy a Boots meal deal or make some sandwiches at home and bring them with you. Buy drinks after security or on the plane.

Last year on a Thomson flight the people next to me had ordered a meal, and it was Nandos! I was gutted I hadn't ordered one, it smelt gorgeous.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    thanks all, as I say I did just wonder about the practicalities so feed back from more experienced travellers is much appreciated
  • LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with other peeps on here, buy some sarnies and snacks or make your own. The meals on board are phenomenally expensive anyway. We fly to France quite regularly and the cost of a rather limp cheese sandwich with some very sorry looking salad is nearly £5!
  • orchoverorchover Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomson have changed their catering recently. Its pizza, chips, and hot bacon rolls to buy on board now instead of the prebookable hot meals.
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orchover wrote: »
    Thomson have changed their catering recently. Its pizza, chips, and hot bacon rolls to buy on board now instead of the prebookable hot meals.

And it's all gross, hate to say it but the old style tin foil tray meals were actually much nicer! I'd rather they go back to them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is normally a boots in the airport, buy a meal deal and take it on board with you. We normally do this and then buy sweets or extra drinks on the plane if we need to.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I flew to Tenerife with Thomson the other week (which is just over 4 hrs) and there were snacks available to buy. We ordered Pizzas but they were pretty foul and very small. I'd make my own stuff if I went again. There were also hotdogs, bacon rolls etc I believe.

Trouble is they whizz them up and they're too hot to eat and when they've cooled down the texture is either rock hard or squidgy soft.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Hi

I'm not a very experienced traveller, only really flown to Italy and Scotland but on all flights meals or at least tea and cakes/ sandwiches have been provided.

Off to Crete next month with Thompson, I think the flight is about 4 hours, plus about 2 hour transfer afterwards and have been told it's classed as short haul so no meals are available ( meals were provided on a 2 hour Thompson flight last year).
    we fly about at 7 am so won't really want a huge meal before we go, but 6 hours seems a long time, especailly if there are any delays. Plus I find that the meal helps pass the time
    What do people usually do? Are there snacks etc to buy, or do people buy stuff a the airport and take it on board? Is that allowed? Is it acceptable/polite to take, say MAcdonalds, on board?

Have a good breakfast and take somethings to snack on the plane (cereal bars, banana etc) and buy water once through immigration/customs check. Airline food is awful and I never eat this unless I have too. Which airport are you flying from. Manchester Airport has a fantastic coffee shop which does excellent cooked breakfasts in Terminal 2. Leeds airport doesn't, but it's still edible when you're hungry. There are usually sandwich shops so you can always buy one of those, tea and coffee places. You get food on the scheduled airline flights only these days, correct me if I am wrong. I'd recommend going to the supermarket and buying your fave snacks and taking them in your hand luggage. You have far more choices there and at cheaper prices too.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I flew to Tenerife with Thomson last November from Gatwick North. There were plenty of places airside (after you have shown your passport) where you could have a meal, including Wetherspoons. However, a breakfast and other meals are likely to be more expensive at the airport because of the high rents they have to pay. A cooked English breakfast was £7 to £8, depending on the restaurant chain.

Almost everything sold at airports is expensive, so that's the reason I do not buy anything unless absolutely essential. Your cheapest option is to make your own sandwiches and take an apple to eat on the plane, or but some food from a supermarket on your way to the airport.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always take my own when departing and then buy in airport on return. I happy as long as I have a bottle of water, chocolate and crisps (or other savoury). Ive been to Tenerife and thats 4 hrs with no meal but snacks could be brought. I also did my first long haul to Mexico that was 10 hrs and we had a hot meal which was starter, main, pudding and bread/crackers this was about 2 hrs in then 5 hrs later we had a snack which was a small sandwich and a muffin. I took drinks and chocolate, but as it was my first long haul I did get bored and purchased more food. I was more prepared on the way home and took plenty of supplies
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    I consider that lucky, I've yet to discover an in-flight meal that would be fit for our rats let alone human consumption. I actually object to having the price included in the flight when the only edible part if you are lucky is a bread roll...

never heard of diabetes then?
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »

If you have an 8am flight you might have left your house at 5am . Then fly till 12 md and an onward journey .I would like to have something between 5am and maybe 1pm or later .So its not just 4 hours , its far more when you factor it all in .
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have an 8am flight you might have left your house at 5am . Then fly till 12 md and an onward journey .I would like to have something between 5am and maybe 1pm or later .So its not just 4 hours , its far more when you factor it all in .

You can always get a snack at the airport before boarding and one at the airport on arrival.