Options

Vegetarian mother told to let son see meat-eater father or risk losing custody

UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/11/vegetarian-mother-told-to-let-son-see-meat-eater-father-or-risk-losing-custody-3960109/
Metro wrote:
A vegetarian mother who stopped her son from seeing his father for a year in case he was fed meat has been told to let them see each other or risk losing custody.

The unnamed woman said she had legitimate concerns that the strict vegetarian diet of her five-year-old son would compromised.

She challenged a ruling by a family court judge who said the child must be allowed regular overnight and weekend stays with his father.

But at London’s civil appeals court, Lord Justice Underhill said there was ‘nothing even arguably wrong’ with the order.

He also warned the mother that this was her ‘last opportunity’ to remain her son’s primary carer.

The ruling comes after the bitter relationship between the Bristol parents was explored. In court, her barrister, Bryon James, said she believed the father would not make sure their son wore a seat belt.

She had also claimed her former partner insisted on calling their son by another name.

Mr James argued that giving the young boy so much time with his father after a year of separation was ‘too sudden and too steep a progression’ and added the boy and his mother were at risk of emotional harm.

Before the ruling, the barrister also criticised the family judge who handled their case. He said the court had been wrong to hold a gun to the mother’s head after making the ‘latent threat’ of her son being taken from home.
Does this lady have a leg to stand on? Surely the boy needs to see his father as well. If he's not vegetarian as she would like that sounds like a poor reason to cut off all contact.

Comments

• Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    She seems to think that she is the only parent to her son, that his father should not only have zero input in choosing his diet but that he shouldn't even see him just in case her choices are compromised! Selfish woman!
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She sounds crackers - but that's a snap judgement and I'm sure there is probably more to the story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She sounds crackers - but that's a snap judgement and I'm sure there is probably more to the story.

Such as?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    assuming that`s the reason, she`s a shit parent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vegetarians are weird.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vegetarians are weird.

why so?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be upto both parents to decided the diet, not the job of one.
  • Options
    gem2626gem2626 Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    I hope when he eventually gets to see his kid that he picks him up and hands him a big mac right in front of her. Let her son decide what he wants to eat ffs.

I'm a vegetarian but i've always fed my daughter meat.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely they could have reached a compromise before it got this far. I'm sure the father could have agreed to the non-meat diet, unless he was very against it for some reason.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vegetarians are weird.

FGS don't generalise please. Some are actually normal reasonable people and meat eaters can be just as bad. But it's nutters like this woman and those that go around attacking meat eaters that give vegetarians a bad name. It's so tiring.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such as?

I don't know

but it's hard to imagine that any 'not crackers' person would stop their child from seeing their father for such banal reasons.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like she just wants the father out of her and her son's life and is using any old argument to try to achieve that.

I'm glad to see the courts starting to at least consider men as suitable primary carers for young children.

It's been a long time coming - though I don't doubt that men's rights still have a long way to go before we can claim any kind of equality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    FGS don't generalise please. Some are actually normal reasonable people and meat eaters can be just as bad. But it's nutters like this woman and those that go around attacking meat eaters that give vegetarians a bad name. It's so tiring.

i can`t see that it`s any different to not liking sprouts [though that is weird right enough] or coffee.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely they could have reached a compromise before it got this far. I'm sure the father could have agreed to the non-meat diet, unless he was very against it for some reason.

and, conversely, the mother could have agreed that her son could eat meat whilst staying with his father.

Not eating meat is, generally, a life-style choice, not a medical necessity
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A five yr old should have the choice of what they want to eat. Once they are a little older, they can make their own mind up.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and, conversely, the mother could have agreed that her son could eat meat whilst staying with his father.

Not eating meat is, generally, a life-style choice, not a medical necessity

The prime carer tends to hold all the cards, though, and If I wanted to see my child then I don't see anything wrong with agreeing. As long as the child is healthy then I don't see why the father would make a fuss. I'd say the same if it was the other way around and the father was the main carer.

Also, just to point out that my posts are with regards to this being a genuine concern for the mother, rather than just for spiteful purposes.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does sound like she's grasping at straws in an attempt to gain sole custody. Even if a relationship ends badly, surely two adults can be mature enough to co-parent a child! If she had legitimate concerns over her sons safety then fair enough but that father will give him meat would not come under that heading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    a more important issue is whether the child should remain in the custody of anal and controlling parent who harbours obvious hostility to his other parent and has no regard to his views on raising his child.

poor kid.

edit: missed the gun bit, poor kid x2
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like she just wants the father out of her and her son's life and is using any old argument to try to achieve that.

I'm glad to see the courts starting to at least consider men as suitable primary carers for young children.

It's been a long time coming - though I don't doubt that men's rights still have a long way to go before we can claim any kind of equality.
    I think, when men and women come round to that idea, then the courts will follow. Right now, the courts reflect society and, individually, try and maintain the pre-relationship breakdown status quo in relationships which is often that the women is seen as having the caring responsibilities.

Personally, I think men are very bit as capable of taking on those responsibilities and the courts should make no assumptions based on gender.

In this case, as a non-meat/fish-eater, I agree it's a bad reason for trying to deny contact with the father. The report says it's a bitter custody battle so this may be a proxy for the rest of it or just a strand of it. Shame all round.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Imposing a dietary regime on a five year old for no good reason is tantamount to abuse.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the beef?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know

but it's hard to imagine that any 'not crackers' person would stop their child from seeing their father for such banal reasons.

Is it? Parents who split up can be quite vindictive, spiteful, controlling, etc, etc. It's surely not so hard to imagine that we have to imagine parts of the story that make this justified?
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Meat? Heck if Pa was giving the boy heroine or crack-cocaine she might have a case, but meat? Mad old bat (IMHO).
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know the ins and outs obviously but if I was going to take an educated guess, I'd say the mum just wants the dad out of the picture and will come up with any old reason to achieve it. Deeply unpleasant behaviour but surprisingly common.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a too-good-to-be-true story to have a go at Vegetarians. I'm sure there are other reasons she doesn't want her son seeing the Dad. Whether he should or not is another matter.