Do you think Anne Hathaway is going to win her first Oscar?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Should be a certainty. She was outstanding, had me crying buckets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What? Best female performance? But shes barely in the film lol

Anthony Hopkins had around 16 mins of screen time in Silence of the Lambs, yet won best actor that year and anyone who would deny that he gave a memorable performance would be deluded.

Screen time does not equate to a good performance. :rolleyes:
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After Re-watching Anne's GG speech I don't even think her gushing over Sally Field was actually all that genuine or touching. She actually brought up The Flying Nun which is known to be a sore subject and a source of embarrassment for Sally Field. It was almost like she was smiling through gritted teeth when Anne brought that up.

I just find her annoying. Again, each to their own.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I don't hate her - she is actually excellent when she is kinda parodying some of her earlier performances such as in Alice in Wonderland as the white queen. She is an excellent comedy actor. Talking of which if Anne Hathaway was doing a parody (a la Saturday Night Live) of OTT musicals she would sobs herself silly and croak with emotion on every line.So was Les Miserables parody? My point is this year is not her best ... in the Batman film only the hero and the villain really get a chance to shine. Her performance was fine but not outstanding much like Joseph Gordon-Levitt's . As for les mis it is a marmite drizzled with tears thing.

You may enjoy watching her 'Funny or Die' skit that she did this Christmas with Samuel L Jackson:
    http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/314ad1c060/the-sad-off-with-samuel-l-jackson-and-anne-hathaway
  • gladiator18gladiator18 Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anthony Hopkins had around 16 mins of screen time in Silence of the Lambs, yet won best actor that year and anyone who would deny that he gave a memorable performance would be deluded.

Screen time does not equate to a good performance. :rolleyes:

What you talking about, course it does. If he won for best supporting actor then fair enough but to win best leading actor for a role which lasts 15 mins is shocking.

Screen time does equate to it hence the different categories, imo
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you talking about, course it does. If he won for best supporting actor then fair enough but to win best leading actor for a role which lasts 15 mins is shocking.

But he is the leading actor.

He gives a film-dominating performance in 16 minutes. Well worthy of recognition.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    But he is the leading actor.

He gives a film-dominating performance in 16 minutes. Well worthy of recognition.

Very true

The film is his story, but told through Jodie Foster's characters eyes.

Anne's character is a vital and important character in Les Miserables, but the story doesn't resolve around her. Therefore she isn't the lead.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It might do in your opinion, but it doesn't in the rules of the Academy Awards, which is the key.
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do not agree with the comments about Anne's GG speech, there wasn't anything wrong with it. I think people need to give her a break. It's crazy how many people dislike her for no reason really.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    The film is his story, but told through Jodie Foster's characters eyes.
    No, it really isn't. I don't know how anyone could watch it and come away thinking this.
  • toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    I think, and hope, she will. She is fast becoming the stand out actress of her generation. Not bad for a Disney Princess.

Indeed - In my Top 3 favourite actresses of all time - in no particular order:

- Anne Hathaway
    - Sandra Bullock
    - Judy Garland

Just wait till Anne plays Judy Garland in the movie about her life - I can't wait and just hope they hurry up and begin production soon!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed - In my Top 3 favourite actresses of all time - in no particular order:

- Anne Hathaway
    - Sandra Bullock
    - Judy Garland

Just wait till Anne plays Judy Garland in the movie about her life - I can't wait and just hope they hurry up and begin production soon!!

Hope this is definitely being made.
    Forum Member
    ImOnlyWee wrote: »
    Hope this is definitely being made.

Me too - It was back in 2010 I think when they started talking about it and Anne had been signed up - then it was put back because they wanted to get the story just right and there was a lot of information they had to go through and it is a delicate subject etc etc .. however few years later and still no word - it's apparently "in development" on the IMDB page - for possible 2014 release ..

EDIT: I also read that the Weinstein Co. are having financial difficulties and it's most likely this project will never happy :(:mad: I really hope that's not the case and it gets picked up by someone else!!
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot wait to see Anne portray Judy Garland either. It could be something truly amazing. Visually I think it'll be easy to buy but I'm sure Anne will pull off the amazing Judy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah it's not actually sounding like it will go ahead...but *fingers crossed* eh.

I think she'd be an amazing Judy, but I think she could also portray Liza!

www.gophoto.it/view.php?i=http://www.playbill.com/images/photo/a/n/annecabaret177r.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sooo hope she does! Her Fantine was moving, and emotionally truthful
    Forum Member
    ImOnlyWee wrote: »
    Ah it's not actually sounding like it will go ahead...but *fingers crossed* eh.

I think she'd be an amazing Judy, but I think she could also portray Liza!

www.gophoto.it/view.php?i=http://www.playbill.com/images/photo/a/n/annecabaret177r.jpg

Definitely - after she got her haircut - I did think she looked quite a bit like Liza...

I really hope this gets picked up by one of the studios because it would be a real shame if it weren't made! I've read the book Get Happy, and it's a real eye opener, but a very good insight into the life behind the music and drama .... my only one reservation about Anne playing Judy - She is way taller than Judy was - I mean Anne is I think pushing on 6ft, Judy was under 5ft tall! lol
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if Anne will mention Susan Boyle in her acceptance speech?:D

Hopefully, and give a Subo Nod as well.
  • wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    I love her really hope she wins it! I absolutely adore her in The Devil Wears Prada :D
    Forum Member
    I love her really hope she wins it! I absolutely adore her in The Devil Wears Prada :D

Me too :) .. that's where I discovered my love for Anne Hathaway haha :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I think so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I LOVE The Devil Wears Prada !
    Anne Hathaway, Meryl Streep and Emily Blunt. PERFECTION. :D
    Definitely - after she got her haircut - I did think she looked quite a bit like Liza...

I really hope this gets picked up by one of the studios because it would be a real shame if it weren't made! I've read the book Get Happy, and it's a real eye opener, but a very good insight into the life behind the music and drama .... my only one reservation about Anne playing Judy - She is way taller than Judy was - I mean Anne is I think pushing on 6ft, Judy was under 5ft tall! lol

I think I'll have to read it! Also I think people could look past the height issue, but then it's Judy Garland, people will want whoever is cast to be close to perfect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nh3com wrote: »
    but never underestimate the power of the emperor’s new clothes!

Is that the story where a bloke walks down the street in a perfectly visible outfit that a lot of people like. But those who aren't particularly taken with his sartorial choice jump up and down getting hysterical and start yelling "he's naked he's naked...."?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically every expert on here predicts Anne will win, apart from like 1 person......

http://www.goldderby.com/awardshows/experts/oscars-2012/best-supp.-actress.html
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anne is an amazing actress and deserves this award. I'm sure they all do but seriously, Anne sells her soul as Fantine.