30 Rock - Comedy Central

2»

Comments

• rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 gave it a lot of publicity when they first bought it too - and there was a fair bit of positive hype within the media about it too as its a very 'media and critic friendly' show.

But sadly you can't make the average numbskull UK viewer give these things a chance. (Not that it was ever very popular with US viewers either of course).
    Forum Member
    Confirmation that CC is dropping The Office as well is included in here
  • bramley29bramley29 Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I like to try most new programmes - I honestly did give it a chance - about ten episodes - but the comedy and the characters just didn't work for me. The more I watched it, the more I really disliked it. The plots were weak. The "jokes" were flagged up so early I could see them coming and I had no interest in the characters. A TV show about people making a TV show! It was so into itself that it just felt knowing, smug and calculating. I thought that Tina Fey was much too fond of herself. I couldn't work out why some folks rated it and neither could a lot of other people - see the TV forums where people ask things like "Who keeps greenlighting this series?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    bramley29 wrote: »
    I like to try most new programmes - I honestly did give it a chance - about ten episodes - but the comedy and the characters just didn't work for me. The more I watched it, the more I really disliked it. The plots were weak. The "jokes" were flagged up so early I could see them coming and I had no interest in the characters. A TV show about people making a TV show! It was so into itself that it just felt knowing, smug and calculating. I thought that Tina Fey was much too fond of herself. I couldn't work out why some folks rated it and neither could a lot of other people - see the TV forums where people ask things like "Who keeps greenlighting this series?"
    30 Rock was a bit shit for the first season, but it rapidly improves throughout it's run. And even the first season isn't that bad...

Also, all writers write about things they know, 30 Rock is based on Tina Fey's SNL stint. You appear to be whining about the fact she's writing a humorous version of a significant event in her life. I suppose you'd prefer it if she wrote something she knew nothing about?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    overall though I'd glad they just dropped the shows, they were never treating them fairly and were way behind the US pace. At least now they've saved UK fans the wait till January and those who want to can import the DVD.
  • bramley29bramley29 Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Whining? That's not whining. I was trying to be understanding and kind about this show. If you like it, that's fine but I wouldn't put it in my top 100 comedy shows. If you want to see real whining, try googling "30 rock sucks" or "30 rock not funny" or "30 rock terrible" or anything similar. You'll find lots of people who have very strong opinions about it. According to some, Alec Baldwin thought the writing on the 5th season so bad, he threatened to quit.
    Forum Member
    I can understand why many people don't like the show personally as a fan of the show I feel that it hasnt been good since season 3-4, with season 6 being the worst. However I still feel that every show should have an equal chance, for every Big Bang Theory or How I Met Your Mother there should be a Parks and Rec or The Office to balance the field. Not all shows will appeal to everyone but that's the great thing about having a choice that we aren't confined to watching and putting up with a select few.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    bramley29 wrote: »
    Whining? That's not whining. I was trying to be understanding and kind about this show. If you like it, that's fine but I wouldn't put it in my top 100 comedy shows. If you want to see real whining, try googling "30 rock sucks" or "30 rock not funny" or "30 rock terrible" or anything similar. You'll find lots of people who have very strong opinions about it. According to some, Alec Baldwin thought the writing on the 5th season so bad, he threatened to quit.
    You used a lot of negative (or negative sounding) adjectives to bemoan the fact she'd wrote about a TV show. "Knowing, smug and calculating" didn't exactly sound kind to me, but then I'm inferring a tone that might not have been present when you typed it.

I believe he said they were the funniest thing on TV, but it still wasn't funny enough. It sounded like he wanted an incredibly high standard, and he didn't feel it was there. Not that he thought the writing was bad, more that he was striving for consistent excellence, and he didn't feel they'd achieved it.
    I can understand why many people don't like the show personally as a fan of the show I feel that it hasnt been good since season 3-4, with season 6 being the worst. However I still feel that every show should have an equal chance, for every Big Bang Theory or How I Met Your Mother there should be a Parks and Rec or The Office to balance the field. Not all shows will appeal to everyone but that's the great thing about having a choice that we aren't confined to watching and putting up with a select few.
    I'm the exact opposite, I think earlier seasons are at the very good level, but the later seasons (6 onwards and the bits of 5 I've seen) are excellent. I have still have half of 3 and the entirety of 4 to catch up on though.
  • VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing as I haven't watched it via 'alternative' means. Guess I'll wait for the DVD/Blu-ray.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you will get people claiming that illegal downloading is evil....but THIS is why it happens.

Sometimes it is the only way not to miss the ending when you pay channels to receive them - and - through whom you have watched a show for years.

Not showing the final 13 episodes after 7 years is disrespectful to their paying customers and if that audience then tell the channel where to go and watch this and any other content by other means then it seems obvious why.
    Forum Member
    And you will get people claiming that illegal downloading is evil....but THIS is why it happens.

Sometimes it is the only way not to miss the ending when you pay channels to receive them - and - through whom you have watched a show for years.

Not showing the final 13 episodes after 7 years is disrespectful to their paying customers and if that audience then tell the channel where to go and watch this and any other content by other means then it seems obvious why.

I feel the same, especially when CC knew that this was the final season. On the other hand I believe illegal downloading for shows like 30 Rock and The Office were huge anyway due to the fact that Comedy Central were so far behind on the US pace. And as I mentioned above, although silly not to air the final 13 episodes at least fans have now been spared the wait till January, and can now go and either buy the DVD or 'acquire' it via other methods
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another ridiculous move by Comedy Central. It's like the bus driver chucking you off 4 stops before you want to get off, just silly dropping these shows at the last season. Not to worry, if only there was some way to get to see these episodes now...
    Forum Member
    I love 30 Rock, and The Odfice, and have never missed an episode.

Yet I've never watched either on Comedy Central. And I'm sure there are more like me too.

Running a 'cult' show with a fairly niche audience so far behind the US airings is asking for trouble in my view. Hopefully channels are starting to learn this now.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what's happening re: the final season of 30 Rock in the UK? It's not available on DVD or iTunes, which in the past was because it would only get released after it was shown on TV. But if it's never going to get shown on TV, surely it should be available to buy?
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's happening re: the final season of 30 Rock in the UK? It's not available on DVD or iTunes, which in the past was because it would only get released after it was shown on TV. But if it's never going to get shown on TV, surely it should be available to buy?

In situations like this (where the UK broadcaster drops a programme) the UK DVD releases are often delayed to allow another broadcaster to have the oppertunity to show it first. If that doesn't happen then the DVD gets released.

Most recent example i can think of is Californication. The DVDs were previously released once a year, then Five dropped it, which lead to and approx 2 year gap in the UK DVD releases to allow the distrubuters to try and sell the brroadcast rights else where. There were no buyers so the DVDs were finally released in the UK, long after the previous DVD releases.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    In situations like this (where the UK broadcaster drops a programme) the UK DVD releases are often delayed to allow another broadcaster to have the oppertunity to show it first. If that doesn't happen then the DVD gets released.

Most recent example i can think of is Californication. The DVDs were previously released once a year, then Five dropped it, which lead to and approx 2 year gap in the UK DVD releases to allow the distrubuters to try and sell the brroadcast rights else where. There were no buyers so the DVDs were finally released in the UK, long after the previous DVD releases.

If that's the case it's very annoying. I can understand a situation where the DVD is released immediately after the show is broadcast in order to stimulate DVD sales, as often happens when ITV advertises a DVD during the closing credits of the final episode of a series. But in cases like this, there is no broadcast to stimulate DVD sales - it's the fact that people can't watch it on TV that's going to increase demand for other media.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    If that's the case it's very annoying. I can understand a situation where the DVD is released immediately after the show is broadcast in order to stimulate DVD sales, as often happens when ITV advertises a DVD during the closing credits of the final episode of a series. But in cases like this, there is no broadcast to stimulate DVD sales - it's the fact that people can't watch it on TV that's going to increase demand for other media.

But the distributers, in this case NBC Universal, are probably still living in hope they will find another broadcaster to buy it and then release the DVDs afterwards. It makes sense, a double revenue stream for them. If they were to release it on DVD now then the chances of getting another broadcaster to buy it decrease.

That’s the logic. But I agree, it’s the fans who are missing out. In the case of 30 Rock, my prediction is that the DVDs will be release sometime in the next year when it becomes clear that no other broadcaster wants to buy it.