Install Linux over Windows XP without formatting Hard Disk?

Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is there a way I can install Linux onto my hard disk but without formatting it so that all my current files stay on my PC.

It currently runs Windows XP and I want to completely replace XP and make the system boot Linux and have no trace of Windows XP on it at all.

I have downloaded Linux Mint and plan on using that.

Comments

• emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presuming your files are on the same partition that XP is on, then you wouldn't be able to do exactly what you want.

You could install Linux on a different partition, and allow the Linux installer to shrink down the XP partition to make room for itself. But XP would still be there.
    You could then access your files through the Linux file manager, and choose never to boot into XP.

Your best bet though, if you want to get rid of XP, is to back up your personal files to a USB drive, then install Linux using the whole of the hard drive, then import your files back into the Linux Home folder.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Linux can be installed over a Windows OS. As far as I know, the Windows OS needs to be wiped before putting Linux on if you plan on only having one OS on the drive.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just load Linux MInt, and wipe youre windows off at the same time.

Once Linux is loaded just use youre backed up files and copy them into Mint.
    You do have a backup of youre files?

If not youre running before you can walk, and playing with fire.

You have actualy tried the live dvd of Mint before you make the decision to wipe Xp, to see if you like it?

What if you dont like any version of linux, or it wont run on youre hardware, can you reload windows?

So many unanswerd questions before we start giving advice.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best to back up your files before starting as a matter of principle as it will only take one f-up with the partition tool and it'll all be gone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Best to back up your files before starting as a matter of principle as it will only take one f-up with the partition tool and it'll all be gone

Completely agree with this.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest backup your files using Dropbox under your current configurations.

After installing Linux go to the dropbox website and it will recognise Linux Mint (Ubuntu) and install a Linux version and download your files.

You definitely need a back-up as it is always possible to format the wrong drive by mistake.

If you are moving from XP that suggests an old machine. I would not install Cinnamon. I tried Linux Mint XFCE after Cinnamon but am now using LXLE which I ma very happy with.

Have you seen this thread?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1942343
  • henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Best bet is to leave windows alone and install your chosen Linux distro as a dual boot with windows. Distros such as Linux Mint (cinnamon or XFCE) and LXLE will guide you through the install process so that you do not wipe out your Windows partition.
    Or if you want to sort out your partitions in advance follow this guide http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
    Dedoimedo has a lot of useful reviews and guides on computer issues.
  • Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No disrespect to other Linux distros, but for bringing older XP era machines back to life I would highly recommend Puppy Linux which will be lighter and faster in most cases.

http://puppylinux.com

Best way to get started is just to burn yourself a Live CD of it. This will boot from the CD drive and you can copy out all your wanted files to an external drive as a back-up (even in cases where Windows won't boot). As others have said, a back-up should be made somehow as a first step anyway.

From there you have lots of options. Create a save-file and continue to boot Puppy from CD and run it for a while to get used to it. This will not disturb the Windows XP. You can also do a frugal install to the Windows partition and dual-boot, but once you have decided that the Windows is no longer needed the best thing is to use the (included) Gparted to format the hard drive as Linux ext2 or ext3 (rather than ntfs) and install Puppy Linux in that. I would still go for the frugal install but you can do it as full install if you prefer.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not use a virtual machine such as virtualbox Www.virtualbox.org (free) which emulates a PC. you load Linux into emulator and run.

It is like a proffesional flight simulator. it really seems as if you are using a Linux PC.
    All emulation files are stored on a virtual disk which simply looks like a file from XP.

No disk formatting or partitioning or dual boot needed.

This is a zero cost and low risk option and easy to try before doing a more complex solution. worst case is that it doesnt work and you simply delete virtual disk and uninstall virtualbox.

Virtualbox even supplies some ready made linux solutions (free).

VMware is another good free emulator but not sure if it works on XP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Why not use a virtual machine such as virtualbox Www.virtualbox.org (free) which emulates a PC. you load Linux into emulator and run.

It is like a proffesional flight simulator. it really seems as if you are using a Linux PC.
    All emulation files are stored on a virtual disk which simply looks like a file from XP.

No disk formatting or partitioning or dual boot needed.

This is a zero cost and low risk option and easy to try before doing a more complex solution. worst case is that it doesnt work and you simply delete virtual disk and uninstall virtualbox.

Virtualbox even supplies some ready made linux solutions (free).

VMware is another good free emulator but not sure if it works on XP.

If anything that's harmful to Windows gets downloaded, would this be downloaded in Windows?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    If anything that's harmful to Windows gets downloaded, would this be downloaded in Windows?

By default it can't share files with the host Windows, although you can set it up to do that if you want, you don't have to if worried about security.

Having said that, if the OP's reason for getting rid of XP is because it's slow to boot up, then this obviously isn't going to help, because you'd have to boot up XP then boot up the virtual Linux OS.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    oilman wrote: »
    Why not use a virtual machine such as virtualbox

That's absolutely the least risk approach for someone new to Linux, or in my case wanting to try things out before buying a new Linux PC.

I'm inside Ubuntu 12.04 LTS running on Virtualbox on Win7 as I type this. I can 'see' my Windows folders from Linux.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »

I worry about that. I don't think so if you keep things downloaded in Linux inside Linux on the VM, but, if you share Windows folders like I do, anything put in a Windows folder is a potential problem to Windows. Also, there must be low level vulnerabilities in the Windows stuff Virtualbox "sits upon" at the driver level.
  • de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    Presuming your files are on the same partition that XP is on, then you wouldn't be able to do exactly what you want.

Presenting the WUBI install: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer

Leaves Windows alone and is a great tool for those not comfortable with messing around with the partitions on their HD.

Downside - doesn't like Windows 8 branded machines with UEFI.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would recommend the OP installs a secondary hard drive in the computer, install Linux Mint on that, and leave
    all his/her documents and any other important stuff on the original hard drive, as well as making backups.

Linux will prompt you to install a new boot loader, and when it detects a Windows installation, that becomes
    an option on the boot menu. When Linux Mint is installed as a "dual-boot" like this, it relegates Windows to
    the bottom of the boot menu, and puts all the Linux boot options directly above. That way, your Windows
    install and everything within stays intact until you are ready to totally wipe the original Windows drive or
    upgrade it to a newer version of Windows. Although the latter option of upgrading Windows after Linux
    has a tendency of removing the Linux boot loader and replacing it with the Windows boot loader.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    I would recommend the OP installs a secondary hard drive in the computer, install Linux Mint on that, and leave
    all his/her documents and any other important stuff on the original hard drive, as well as making backups.

Linux will prompt you to install a new boot loader, and when it detects a Windows installation, that becomes
    an option on the boot menu. When Linux Mint is installed as a "dual-boot" like this, it relegates Windows to
    the bottom of the boot menu, and puts all the Linux boot options directly above. That way, your Windows
    install and everything within stays intact until you are ready to totally wipe the original Windows drive or
    upgrade it to a newer version of Windows. Although the latter option of upgrading Windows after Linux
    has a tendency of removing the Linux boot loader and replacing it with the Windows boot loader.

If you go down that root.
    Its best to just unplg the windows HD.
    Install Linux in spare.
    This leaves the pesky grub off both HDS.
    Reconnect both drives.
    Reboot and choose with use if the f keys what HD you want to biit into.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a simple moto i learned when working on mainframes and it still holds true today "you back it up incase you f---- it up" and its a true today as it ways in the good old days, its better to have spent 10-15 mins securing everything and making sure its all on that external drive then unplugging it and putting it in a locked draw than having to spend loads of money hoping someone can recover your childs first steps movie etc

and once you have done the above then you can fart around and do all sorts of daft things with no worries
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    I worry about that. I don't think so if you keep things downloaded in Linux inside Linux on the VM, but, if you share Windows folders like I do, anything put in a Windows folder is a potential problem to Windows. Also, there must be low level vulnerabilities in the Windows stuff Virtualbox "sits upon" at the driver level.

This is a really low risk. The windows shared folder is protected by any anti virus or firewall software used by windows. I may be sticking my head in the firing line but I have never heard of a VM passing viruses to host assuming host is properly protected.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to buy Linux to sort out a NAS problem.

I got the Ubuntu Linux that came with a "Haynes "- type manual, and it installed a dual boot option that works fine.

£15 approx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to buy Linux to sort out a NAS problem.

I got the Ubuntu Linux that came with a "Haynes "- type manual, and it installed a dual boot option that works fine.

£15 approx

You didn't need to "buy" Linux.

You may have chosen to pay for a ready made CD/DVD with Linux on it, because it was more convenient for you, but you could have got the same thing for free.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    No disrespect to other Linux distros, but for bringing older XP era machines back to life I would highly recommend Puppy Linux which will be lighter and faster in most cases.

http://puppylinux.com

Best way to get started is just to burn yourself a Live CD of it. This will boot from the CD drive and you can copy out all your wanted files to an external drive as a back-up (even in cases where Windows won't boot). As others have said, a back-up should be made somehow as a first step anyway.

From there you have lots of options. Create a save-file and continue to boot Puppy from CD and run it for a while to get used to it. This will not disturb the Windows XP. You can also do a frugal install to the Windows partition and dual-boot, but once you have decided that the Windows is no longer needed the best thing is to use the (included) Gparted to format the hard drive as Linux ext2 or ext3 (rather than ntfs) and install Puppy Linux in that. I would still go for the frugal install but you can do it as full install if you prefer.

However, it is safe to say that Puppy Linux (I've used it) is unique and distinct to say the least and I wouldn't personally recommend it for anyone who's coming direct from any Windows operating system especially when there are more user-friendly Linux distributions out there as henrywilliams58 has indicated above.

Have an older PC? Try the new Ubuntu Linux-based LXLE
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2031825/have-an-older-pc-try-the-new-ubuntu-linux-based-lxle.html