Options

Windows 7 updates, do you bother?

Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I first installed Windows 7 I installed all the updates.

But since then I have had to reinstall Windows 7 several times through various faults etc.

I haven't bothered with the updates at all.

I think the updates stand at around 500MB, I know installing them would make my PC safer.

Is there a way of making my PC safe without going through the chore of Windows updates?

Comments

• Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only tried and trusted method is to disconnect it from the internet and any local networks completely

just let it slowly pull down the updates at its own pace and reboot every now and again while putting the kettle on etc, you'll probably barely notice it
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the updates will likely be for security to prevent 'holes' being used to gain access.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manually install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and IE11 first. That should massively cut down the number of other updates you should need.

Yes, you should bother. Don't forget that other people are abandoning XP due to the end of updates.
  • Options
    2000motels2000motels Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Manually install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and IE11 first. That should massively cut down the number of other updates you should need.

Yes, you should bother. Don't forget that other people are abandoning XP due to the end of updates.
    I agree totally updates are extremely important and by not doing so leaves your computer open to all kinds of threats.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »

To save time when I need to reinstall I have a copy of Service Pack 1 saved on a USB stick.
  • Options
    2000motels2000motels Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    To save time when I need to reinstall I have a copy of Service Pack 1 saved on a USB stick.
    Which is a great idea, but I downloaded Windows 7 H/P Pro and Ultimate from digital river with service pack one already on the discs. Here's a link to them. http://techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    2000motels wrote: »
    Which is a great idea, but I downloaded Windows 7 H/P Pro and Ultimate from digital river with service pack one already on the discs. Here's a link to them. http://techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/

Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not simply create a slipstreamed version of W7 HP with SP1 and updates already integrated? There are plenty of tutorials on You Tube and Win7 Forum that explain how it's done. However, you will then need to spend time reinstalling your programs.

Alternatively, install W7 and all the updates and any programs you usually install then do an image of your hard disk using free software such as Macrium Reflect or AOMEI'S Backupper. If you install / uninstall lots of programs doing a monthly image of your working system means at anytime you can restore your system to one of your backups which already includes all the updates and programs you had installed to that point.

Setting up your system initially will take a bit of time but once that's done, using Macrium or AOMEI will take around 45-60 mins depending on how much data is being imaged with a similar time to verify the image made. The actual restore process gives you a working system in about 15-20 mins.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Updates are important although they do seem like a lot if you're updating your PC for the first time. I just install updates as they're made available so whenever new updates are released I only need to install a few each time. Much quicker to update that way.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I always keep my Mac's Windows 7 partition updated. I really need to install updates on it as I haven't used it since January 15th :o My parents also keep their Windows 7 laptops updated regularly.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since Microsoft decided to add lots of small partitions and formatting drives in a different way using a clone backup has become very problematic for me. Used to use Maxblast and boot easily from the backup but now it just stalls. Tried Macrium Reflect as well, Windows Boot Manager even appears in the BIOS.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as MS bothers with them I do too. I have the update configured on automatic. I keep the machine running 24/7 and once in a month it installs them and reboot.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    When I first installed Windows 7 I installed all the updates.

But since then I have had to reinstall Windows 7 several times through various faults etc.

I haven't bothered with the updates at all.

I think the updates stand at around 500MB, I know installing them would make my PC safer.

Is there a way of making my PC safe without going through the chore of Windows updates?

You have answered your own question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    You have answered your own question.

My question was do others bother with the updates, I currently do not.
  • Options
    victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My question was do others bother with the updates, I currently do not.

The answer would seem to be YES and you would seem to be in the minority.

Of course if you are happy to wipe your hard disk and reinstall windows regularly or not connect to the Internet at all then you won't need the updates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victorslot wrote: »
    The answer would seem to be YES and you would seem to be in the minority.

Of course if you are happy to wipe your hard disk and reinstall windows regularly or not connect to the Internet at all then you won't need the updates.

I don't wipe my hard disk when I reinstall windows 7, I reinstall the operating system on its own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    Why not simply create a slipstreamed version of W7 HP with SP1 and updates already integrated? There are plenty of tutorials on You Tube and Win7 Forum that explain how it's done. However, you will then need to spend time reinstalling your programs.

This is what I am going to do, create a slipstreamed version.

Currently takes me about 30 minutes to install Windows 7, so I'm curious to know if I installed a slipstreamed Windows 7 with SP1, it would take the same amount of time.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    'But since then I have had to reinstall Windows 7 several times through various faults etc.' - happen if you kept it up to date you wouldn't have to.

it's not normal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    'But since then I have had to reinstall Windows 7 several times through various faults etc.' - happen if you kept it up to date you wouldn't have to.

it's not normal.

That's not true the first time I had to do a reinstall, Windows 7 was fully updated.
  • Options
    StompaStompa Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not use one of the offline update tools?

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/offline-windows-update/

I've used wsus offline update with XP and it worked a treat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stompa wrote: »
    Why not use one of the offline update tools?

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/offline-windows-update/

I've used wsus offline update with XP and it worked a treat.

I used the offline SP3 update for Windows XP, in fact still got it on my hard disk, it was only around 300MB.

Currently building a Windows 7 SP1 Slipstream Installation USB with all the updates.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I've had to install Windows 7 once and have had no faults.

Having to install it several times due to various faults, have to wonder if you know how to use a computer to be fair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    I've had to install Windows 7 once and have had no faults.

Having to install it several times due to various faults, have to wonder if you know how to use a computer to be fair.

Reinstalled Windows 7 via the SP1 Slipstream USB Installation I created today, however I have no idea how to use a computer...
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reinstalled Windows 7 via the SP1 Slipstream USB Installation I created today, however I have no idea how to use a computer...

How the hell did you create a slipstream disc if you don't know how to use a computer?
  • Options
    Neo TokyoNeo Tokyo Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    2000motels wrote: »

Those are smaller than my Windows 7 DVD without SP1.