The Crimson Fields

Comments

• guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I really liked that, a solid episode to set up the drama with some good performances from Hermoine Norris and especially the wonderful Oona Chaplin.

It's funny how much you enjoy something when you actually watch it and don't spend the whole time on a forum looking for something to complain about. ;-)
  • Kayjay2405Kayjay2405 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it too, better than I expected
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call the Midwife, the period in time that most TV people seem to be stuck in at the moment.

Never watched it
  • DragonicDragonic Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked that, a solid episode to set up the drama with some good performances from Hermoine Norris and especially the wonderful Oona Chaplin.

Agreed, i'll be tuning in for the full series for sure :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I agree.....nice bit of intrigue from Oona and Suranne. An evil bitch to hate.....a good start.
  • MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is a bit young to make Sister

Shall be tuning in next week
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,141
    Forum Member
    Well, I thought it was really good and will definitely be watching next week...
  • CobblersCobblers Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it and will definitely watch the series but I couldn't help feeling that the sun was shining a little too much, even when it rained briefly it was still sunny.
  • dwisemandwiseman Posts: 4,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm.. well it got better I suppose but its was all dreadfully sentimental drippy stuff, there was far too much use of pretty background music at any excuse IMO.. may give it another try I suppose next week to see if it tightens up a bit..
  • greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dragonic wrote: »
    Only me that's liking it so far then? Sure it's not super gripping TV, but it's more than decent to burn an hour with.

That and Oona looks lovely.

I'm enjoying it as well
  • KarlyKarly Posts: 10,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I thought that was promising, will definitely give it another go. I got hooked in and completely forgot Suranne Jones was supposed to be in it, so was a nice surprise at the end. Is the actor playing the poor soldier they fought about sending back to the front the one who played Robert in Emmerdale and the young guy in Kingdom (forget the actor's name)?
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked it. I'll watch again next week.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it , maybe it's because I find the WW1 period interesting anyway , that poor bloke sent back to the front :(

It;s alright for those bloody officers telling those injured men to man up for king and Country because they were stationed a few miles behind the flipping front line out of harms way>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how its possible to maintain and offer a critical perspective of something whilst you actually watch it and don't feel embarressed to expect something with some decent dramatic pathos in something with a budget & on a scale of this size .
  • MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karly wrote: »
    Yes, I thought that was promising, will definitely give it another go. I got hooked in and completely forgot Suranne Jones was supposed to be in it, so was a nice surprise at the end. Is the actor playing the poor soldier they fought about sending back to the front the one who played Robert in Emmerdale and the young guy in Kingdom (forget the actor's name)?

Yes, Karl Davies
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    I liked it , maybe it's because I find the WW1 period interesting anyway , that poor bloke sent back to the front :(

It;s alright for those bloody officers telling those injured men to man up for king and Country because they were stationed a few miles behind the flipping front line out of harms way>:(

Actually an interesting fact from WW1 is that -by percentage- more officers than privates were killed in the war.. and generally they were stationed right up on the front line as well.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little bit slow to start with but there were a lot of characters to introduce. The toes were gruesome but they made having to wash all those bandages all the more realistic. There probably be lots more gore to contend with but the props are good and I enjoyed it. I'm already wonder what happens to the chap sent back to the front and the caking eating liar. Looking forward to next week.
  • KarlyKarly Posts: 10,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morgsie wrote: »
    Yes, Karl Davies
    That's him, thank you Morgsie.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,141
    Forum Member
    Cressida wrote: »
    A little bit slow to start with but there were a lot of characters to introduce. The toes were gruesome but they made having to wash all those bandages all the more realistic. There probably be lots more gore to contend with but the props are good and I enjoyed it. I'm already wonder what happens to the chap sent back to the front and the caking eating liar. Looking forward to next week.

Apparently there is not much gore at all which I am relieved about...saves me taking my specs off all the time...I too am looking forward to watching next week's episode...
  • billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a bit slow and clunky to start with but improved quite a bit towards the end. WIll definitely give it another try next week.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »

If you think that, then please read this book which is well researched:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Six-Weeks-Gallant-British-Officer/dp/1409102149
    Six Weeks: The Short and Gallant Life of the British Officer in the First World War
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a bit ploddy but I guess it was just introducing all the characters.

I like the young posh nurse and already hate Sister Quail who pinched the cake and sent Prentiss back to the front when she was told not to.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean Hermione Norris then she is good full stop , the young actresses and I use that term loosely are an insult to the viewer. Judging by this thread I think it's not going to be very popular, I'll say 3.1 million viewers and I'm being kind by even saying that.
    Considering 30% of the posts slagging it were yours I'd say the thread at that point wasn't very indicative of anything other than your whinging about it :D
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it , I will defintly watch again . I see Mosely from Downton has been promoted !!
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though I have been rather harsh I will be back to see if there is improvement, I certainly hope so as the stories of the experiences of nursing staff should be told but not if it's done in the CTM style.

I remember my G Grandmother being very angry about a young boy being sent back into the trenches still suffering from shell shock, he came back horrifically injured but the bastard of an officer in charge insisted as he could still see and use a rifle he would be returned to his unit once his injuries had healed. The boy was no coward as he fought with honour but life in the trenches was harrowing it was bound to affect the mental health of those involved and this young lad from Manchester took his own life rather than return.

And she detested the then government and royal family for dragging us into this conflict, when two cousins fell out, millions on both sides had their lives changed forever, and a generation was lost forever.