Options

Jessie J no longer Bisexual

Comments

• Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long was he in the closet? :kitty:

No idea, I only knew about Elton when I was in my teens and by then he was what I would have deemed well beyond middle age. He was out at the period when I realised who he was (musically) and he was still very much a held up artist in the industry, so coming out certainly hadn't hindered him from what I've seen in my lifetime. But I can't recollect any time before then.

And, I don't even know if I was alive at the time, but when he got married to a woman, weren't the public and people around him absolutely baffled by this? So, argubly you could say that even before he came out people had in their mind that he was gay anyway but it didnt stop him being succesful.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. But the fact he was closeted for so long speaks volumes.
  • Options
    girlinstaticgirlinstatic Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    I thought she never labelled herself as bisexual? That is what she's claiming.

If you read here http://popdust.com/2014/04/06/jessie-j-renounces-bisexuality-in-twitter-rant-let-the-past-be-the-past/ A bit further down it lists some times she not only perpetuated and encouraged the notion she was bi, but actually did label herself as that.

That is what is annoying, she is trying to claim that her one relationship with a girl made the media run wild and she is a totally innocent party and has been living this lie.

She can say what she likes, she actively encouraged people to believe she falls in love with both sexes, seemed proud and confident about it and spoke freely. To me, it is a little strange that she feels she can now simply choose to not be attracted to girls anymore, wants to compltely eliminate the possibility and is on the hunt for a hubby. I do hope she is being honest with herself because you never know what will happen in the future and if she does end up falling for another girl.... how utterly awkward would that be!
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's been told to say this in the hope of doing well with her album in the US.
  • Options
    sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skin from skunk anasie dated some men at one point but now says she is gay I believe Jessie is lying about who she is a three year relationship with a girl is not a phase.
    I feel she has let down many gay/bi fans I am bi and yet another female celeb is saying things to get attention she spoke openly on alan carr about it.
    she reminds me of Kelly Clarkson saying now I'm married to a man I can't possibly be gay well Elton was married to a woman john Travolta and many others.
    if she wants to live in the glass closet let her she is only fooling herself why have we never heard of any men expect some beards very soon when she breaks the u.s.
    Their goes her gay fanbase and I'm pretty sure she won't be around much longer.
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    skin from skunk anasie dated some men at one point but now says she is gay I believe Jessie is lying about who she is a three year relationship with a girl is not a phase.
    I feel she has let down many gay/bi fans I am bi and yet another female celeb is saying things to get attention she spoke openly on alan carr about it.
    she reminds me of Kelly Clarkson saying now I'm married to a man I can't possibly be gay well Elton was married to a woman john Travolta and many others.
    if she wants to live in the glass closet let her she is only fooling herself why have we never heard of any men expect some beards very soon when she breaks the u.s.
    Their goes her gay fanbase and I'm pretty sure she won't be around much longer.

Skin is married or partnered with an American lady now.

What's all this about Kelly Clarkson, what makes you think she's gay?
  • Options
    girlinstaticgirlinstatic Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRM wrote: »
    She's been told to say this in the hope of doing well with her album in the US.

I hope this is not the case. I somehow doubt it, if she were really gay/bi and was told to break it to people she is now straight by her label I don't think she would be as tactless and offensive as she was. I know if it was me and my hands were tied I would want to piss off my genuine fans as little as possible! Most people who are in the glbt community most fear the words "phase" and "choice" not to mention her additions of being "free" and "enlightened" now. This was probably the most offensive way she could have gone about this.

Personally I think it's much more likely she has found religion or is around someone influencing her as she said she will still stand for loving who you love but "will not act on it" and is now enlightened.

She also has said that now she gets what all the chick flicks are about and that sex and the city IS real.

Yes, she really said that. Not the words of a girl that has been truly straight all along and has been mislabeled bisexual, is it? Something imo is going on with her and i'm not sure what, but I hope she is okay regardless of who she loves.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those are some odd quotes.

I can understand a woman who having thought she was bisexual having a couple of intense loving relationships with men & thinking that maybe she was mistaken. The problem is now that this all gets played out in real time on twitter. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years she realises she was bisexual after all.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe she was cured through prayer?? :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "... and that Sex in the City IS real.."

Oh my lord. Definitely something up.

If it is for US sales, I wouldn't be too surprised. They're more conservative than us AND she's recording new tracks for the American release of her second album, 'Dead'.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    I don't see what the problem is.

It often takes time for people to realise what their true sexuality is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see what the problem is.

It often takes time for people to realise what their true sexuality is.

The issue isn't with her private life. Her use of the words "chose" and "choose" is either really misguided, ignorant, stupid, offensive and unclassy - or perhaps a combination of all of those adjectives. :D

Why anyone would choose to make yourself so different from the norm? We are very social animals and "choosing" to be gay wouldn't benefit anyone in many ways I can think

Her comments were insensitive and ignorant.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    The issue seems to be she uses words that imply there's a choice and a phase
    These are terms that can be used to attack bisexuals
    She had a relationship with a women yet that's just a phase??
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    LOL.....still " keeping it real " ..." be true to yourself " .....I suppose it will help her to break bigger in the US if she's straight .
    I fully expect her to say shes gay at the point when the career is over and she will need the support of the Gays and Lesbians .

she lost any credibility when she rode into the Olympic stadium in a gold Bentley singing "its not about the money " ;-)
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blockz99 wrote: »

she lost any credibility when she rode into the Olympic stadium in a gold Bentley singing "its not about the money " ;-)

Jessi J had some credibility? I must have been off sick that day.
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She literally can not say anything without a flock of vultures coming to pick at her can she? She has never used her sexuality to sell anything other then her beliefs. It wasnt a 'lie' or a 'marketing tool', it was just in an interview years ago and all she said was she loves who she loves and won't have a label attached to her. She never even used the term bi-sexual. The song L.O.V.E is actually about her relationship with a girl and she doesn't sing it anymore because thats not part of her life anymore and she's being very honest about it which should be applauded rather than criticised. Is sexuality not open to change or evolution? She's started to realise that comments she made years ago have unfortunately been set in stone by the press and are used agaisnt her today is she ever contradicts herself and its shit if you ask me. Contradiction is just part of being human and growing up, she shouldn't be excluded from that just because she's in the public eye.

I honestly dont understand where all this Jessie hate comes
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who cares? I think a few men are up for dating her, to see if they could be 'the husband'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    She literally can not say anything without a flock of vultures coming to pick at her can she? She has never used her sexuality to sell anything other then her beliefs. It wasnt a 'lie' or a 'marketing tool', it was just in an interview years ago and all she said was she loves who she loves and won't have a label attached to her. She never even used the term bi-sexual. The song L.O.V.E is actually about her relationship with a girl and she doesn't sing it anymore because thats not part of her life anymore and she's being very honest about it which should be applauded rather than criticised. Is sexuality not open to change or evolution? She's started to realise that comments she made years ago have unfortunately been set in stone by the press and are used agaisnt her today is she ever contradicts herself and its shit if you ask me. Contradiction is just part of being human and growing up, she shouldn't be excluded from that just because she's in the public eye.

I honestly dont understand where all this Jessie hate comes

Because she has used insensitive hurtful language that - if it were to have any impact whatsoever - can only harm the LGBT movement and perhaps even confuse some of her young fans. Irresponsible, selfish and clearly self-obsessed going by her behaviour on The Voice. I don't have a problem with her private life at all.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Jessi J had some credibility? I must have been off sick that day.

The credibility was borrowed as part of being part of the olympic ceremony, However she quickly reminded people why she is so unlikeable
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm delighted she's keeping us informed; I've been having sleepless nights tbh.
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because she has used insensitive hurtful language that - if it were to have any impact whatsoever - can only harm the LGBT movement and perhaps even confuse some of her young fans. Irresponsible, selfish and clearly self-obsessed going by her behaviour on The Voice. I don't have a problem with her private life at all.

For crying out loud, hurtful language? Everyone who is part of the LGBT community has a different experience and Jessie has stated that FOR HER her bisexuality was a phase, she acknowledged that it isnt for everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    For crying out loud, hurtful language? Everyone who is part of the LGBT community has a different experience and Jessie has stated that FOR HER her bisexuality was a phase, she acknowledged that it isnt for everyone.

Imagine you are one of Jessie's young fans, and you identified as bisexual. Jessie is one of your heroes. "Someone like me!"

Then this huge mess... With fame comes responsibility. Look at girlinstatic's posts in this thread, she explains it better than I can.

Jessie clumsily worded her statement and I don't think she was intentionally that offensive, cuz... ^_^
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine you are one of Jessie's young fans, and you identified as bisexual. Jessie is one of your heroes. "Someone like me!"

Then this huge mess... With fame comes responsibility. Look at girlinstatic's posts in this thread, she explains it better than I can.

Jessie clumsily worded her statement and I don't think she was intentionally that offensive, cuz... ^_^

Identified as bisexual? I thought the general thrust of the discussion was that you either are or you aren't? Why would anyone who IS bisexual be confused by someone else's sexuality?

When it comes to it, if you're bisexual and you really want - as almost everyone does - to eventually fall in love and settle down with one person, you're ultimately going to have to be either straight or gay, no? Jessie may have already met someone and may feel that this is it.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She reminds me of the t.A.T.u lasses who strongly gave the impression years ago that they were both lesbians. They ended up being with a fella and having his baby.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Identified as bisexual? I thought the general thrust of the discussion was that you either are or you aren't? Why would anyone who IS bisexual be confused by someone else's sexuality?

When it comes to it, if you're bisexual and you really want - as almost everyone does - to eventually fall in love and settle down with one person, you're ultimately going to have to be either straight or gay, no? Jessie may have already met someone and may feel that this is it.

No would be the unequivocal answer to that.