Options

How many people on DS went to University?

Comments

• Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, also went to three.

I wish I'd never left - loved it so much. Even now, it's the only environment I feel truly at home - I do research at various archives and libraries and am always happy and relaxed the minute am on campus.
  • Options
    DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I thought I was going to go, but I didn't. I was in the 6th Form at school, studying A levels, but at 17, I didn't know what I wanted to do, I just knew I wanted to mess about and have fun, which I did. So I got kicked out of 6th form. Years later, I somehow wrangled my way into "college", but honestly, my real motives were not to study, but to party and have a good time, which I succeeded in doing. I possibly could have done better and got a better job if I had been more motivated, but all the same, I don't look back on my "pretend to be a serious student" days as wasted time, oh no.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Not me. I took a work / apprenticeship route with day release college.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got half way through a degree with the Open Uni and gave up.
  • Options
    julie88julie88 Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went and I loved it, best years of my life this far. Will definitely be going back for postgrad in a couple of years:)
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked and studied part time and did the final year of my Chemistry degree full time at the age of 24. It was a great way to do it. Being a bit older was a big advantage. Obviously I was mature than most of the other lads in their final years and this proved to be an attractive trait.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but I will be later this year provided my A-levels go well (which they will unless I'm struck down with some kind of affliction.)
  • Options
    pinot_noirpinot_noir Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did English and Education. I was a teacher until I became ill; now I'm a freelance copywriter / editor / proofreader and part time lecturer.
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I went to university (nursing degree) but I was 36, married and had a child so probably not your usual university student. So my experience was different, but I still enjoyed it.

I have also done two postgrad courses at a different uni.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Plymouth Polytechnic. I would imagine that quite a few people my age went to polytechnic instead of university.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was planned for me to go (depending on exam results) but as I left home at 15 had to get a job to put a roof over my head
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved uni. It was an amazing time for me, I had loads of fun, but did way too little work. I met Mr Ellis there, got married before we graduated and I've never used my degree. I don't regret it one bit though. The whole experience is just so different to anything else you ever get to do.

My sons are hopefully going to be heading off to uni this September, and I have been on lots of Uni open days over the last few months. My emotions are all over the place about it. I am sooo excited for them, really jealous because I wish I could do it all again and dreading them leaving home.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to uni for my BSc hons in web development. Graduated after 4 years with a 2:2. Learned a lot, liked the topic. Must have done something wrong though as I didn't do parties like some other posters. Also chose a local uni so stayed at home. Still enjoyed it though even though I had to resit my third year.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    I went to Plymouth Polytechnic. I would imagine that quite a few people my age went to polytechnic instead of university.

Indeed. I was one of them. Polys were actually quite good. The quality of the degrees was regulated by a separate body, the CNAA, as opposed to universities that did their own quality control. I went to Middlesex and read Business Studies (I know, anything with the word 'studies' in the title is generally rubbish:blush:).

Academically it was a waste of time. I buggered about for four years (including a one year work placement) before emerging with a Desmond, the classic drinker's degree. Frankly, my subsequent professional qualification was a heck of a lot harder and I had to do that whilst holding down a full-time job. If I had put that amount of effort into the degree, I would have got a First.

Socially, it was great, of course but nowadays it's an expensive way to have a good time for a few years. Not to mention that, now, everybody gets to go so it isn't nearly as useful in the employment market as it used to be. I won't be encouraging my daughter to go, although she is plenty bright enough..
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a fantastic time at my undergraduate University. I was totally skint all of the time but that didn't seem to matter. However, I then moved elsewhere to do a PhD and had a miserable time. After 2 years I dropped out to get a proper job as I hated the department and my supervisor - and I was sick of being skint all of the time.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot find a suitable answer to the poll. When I left school went straight into an apprenticeship, I learnt my trade "on the job" and a day and one evening at technical college. I did not know anyone who left school when I did who went to university although many went into really good well-paid careers.

To go to university when I left school was a rarity, the person had to be outstandingly clever. Most who attained degrees were professionals like doctors, solicitors, bank managers etc. and the subjects they studied and received degrees were directly applicable to their chosen career.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    The poll is a bit daft.

What's not to like about loafing around for a few years with a minimal amount of work?

Surely you expect to become educated and enhance your employment prospects.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. I did a degree at Northampton University, although it was then (1988-91) classed as a college of higher education, as opposed to a university. Remember those old distinctions, with polytechnics in between colleges and universities, in the hierarchy? They now seem largely to have been done away with.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked and still managed to get a degree. 2:1
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poll is a bit daft.

What's not to like about loafing around for a few years with a minimal amount of work?

I think things have changed. In my day (25 years ago), I got a full grant (£2200 a year!) which after paying £25 a week rent I only had to worry about money for food and beer. Going to University was a way of avoiding getting a job for 3 years while you worked out what you wanted to do with your life. Now with fees and loans it is a big financial decision.

I graduated with an overdraft of around £500 and no other debts. Today it could easily be £50,000.
  • Options
    chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    I did! And do I regret it? No. But I do regret not doing better in my A-levels to enable me to go to a better uni.
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I went and loved every minute.
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poll is a bit daft.

I worked a job part time during my degree, I worked hard at study as well. Sure we had fun times, but it certainly wasn't loafing around. And without my degree I couldn't have got into my career.
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I think things have changed. In my day (25 years ago), I got a full grant (£2200 a year!) which after paying £25 a week rent I only had to worry about money for food and beer. Going to University was a way of avoiding getting a job for 3 years while you worked out what you wanted to do with your life. Now with fees and loans it is a big financial decision.

I graduated with an overdraft of around £500 and no other debts. Today it could easily be £50,000.

£2200? Are you sure ? I started uni in 1988, on a full grant, which was about £1500/year. My hall fees were £30/week or £300/term, so I had quite a bit left over, as the hall fees covered 2 meals/day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I also went to 3. Enjoyed my time at Cambridge and Durham; didn't care as much for Oxford, though this was due to the solitary nature of a PhD rather than any shortcomings on the university's part.