Hipsters

Comments

• NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Self contradictory much?

These days it's mainstream NOT to be mainstream, would anyone else agree?

Meh been that way for as long as I can remember, each so called sub-culture trying to outdo each other I suppose.

I have taken out my facial piercings recently and I am being a rebel by slipping into my Marks and Sparks, wool mix jumper, while I listen to Einsturzende Neubauten, followed by some Bowie, or Carpenters, nice to be free of trying to fit in now that I am older.

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mint wrote: »
    Yes, I would.

It's irritating! There's this person in my college class who speaks to other people in the class myself included with the most condescending tone just because we don't all listen to whatever he's moshing to or have an attitude constantly.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    Meh been that way for as long as I can remember, each so called sub-culture trying to outdo each other I suppose.

I have taken out my facial piercings recently and I am being a rebel by slipping into my Marks and Sparks, wool mix jumper, while I listen to Einsturzende Neubauten, followed by some Bowie, or Carpenters, nice to be free of trying to fit in now that I am older.

BEST BAND. I have a tattoo of their symbol.
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    BEST BAND. I have a tattoo of their symbol.

They are rather great...there for all to enjoy, a modern version of musique concrete I suppose! Have Halber Mensch on with headphones, as to not annoy anyone..
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh I know many of those, all a few years post uni, incapable of finding a job and old enough to know better. There's nothing worse than being lectured by some knob in stupid big glasses and a buttoned up to the neck shirt, or faux 50's dress and Irregular Choice shoes and a ribbon in their hair on how you music choice is shit because some people have heard of the songs you like and they aren't available on vinyl. Or scoffing at you because you're not drinking some rare German beer, or ironically drinking Buckfast.

Well, do you know what, hipsters? I'd rather get up, put on a suit for work, drive there in my environmentally unfriendly car whilst listening to Radio 1, come home and have a glass of wine with my dinner in my home, rather than piss about all morning applying lashings of Urban Decay eyeliner, taking selfies of myself in stupid big glasses with a shirt buttoned up to the neck before cycling from a "kitsch" looking student type flat into town the piss about all day in a beer garden with my similarly deluded friends talking pseudo politics and spending my JSA on fair trade vegan halloumi wraps.
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    Oooh I know many of those, all a few years post uni, incapable of finding a job and old enough to know better. There's nothing worse than being lectured by some knob in stupid big glasses and a buttoned up to the neck shirt, or faux 50's dress and Irregular Choice shoes and a ribbon in their hair on how you music choice is shit because some people have heard of the songs you like and they aren't available on vinyl. Or scoffing at you because you're not drinking some rare German beer, or ironically drinking Buckfast.

Well, do you know what, hipsters? I'd rather get up, put on a suit for work, drive there in my environmentally unfriendly car whilst listening to Radio 1, come home and have a glass of wine with my dinner in my home, rather than piss about all morning applying lashings of Urban Decay eyeliner, taking selfies of myself in stupid big glasses with a shirt buttoned up to the neck before cycling from a "kitsch" looking student type flat into town the piss about all day in a beer garden with my similarly deluded friends talking pseudo politics and spending my JSA on fair trade vegan halloumi wraps.

*applauds*

Great post :)

I was trying to cut down on the smilies, I don't care now..After sitting in my normal clothes with my 'abnormal' music dithering whether to get a bit of gin and tonic before the shops shut...:D

Meh JSA and halloumi, can only be done once every 3 months £2.80 for a wee bit bugger that..I might try the hipster diet....might lose a bit...then don my pvc jeans from my industrial/gothish days..hehe :D Meh how do you afford German Beers or Buckfast on that...they probably cadge off friends in high places I suspect.

I know the type, no concept at 30 of how real life works..Urban Decay make up, meh Rimmel at poundland, they are all style over substance!

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, the scoffing at people who don't listen to music on vinyl and like to listen to MP3s is not limited to hipsters.

I do think the shirt buttoned all the way to the top thing is stupid, though. When I wore a shirt and tie to work I never even did up the top button.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Living in West Yorkshire I never see any of these types about really. It's just not a trend here at all so only hear the 'myths' if you will. And there's that 'Cool to be a ********' video that's been floating around for a few years that sort of paints a picture of them.

I was in Camden recently and did see all the types mentioned in the thread but never interacted with them or anything so no idea what they're like as people.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I don't have a running definition of a hipster. But one way to spot them is that they all seem to be required to consume the most absurdly expensive coffee in town.
    Forum Member
    To be fair, the scoffing at people who don't listen to music on vinyl and like to listen to MP3s is not limited to hipsters.

I do think the shirt buttoned all the way to the top thing is stupid, though. When I wore a shirt and tie to work I never even did up the top button.

The pipe brigade of the 60's-70's youth :D

My dad went through a second childhood at around 30 in the late eighties with his pipe and beard and vinyl, then started on Karl Wallinger and World Party..then scoffed at my music, by then it was a mishmash involving Skyclad, Therion, Die Krupps and Neubauten and Bowie of course..then 90's ish.. :D Faux political crowd, tried that when I was younger, no talking in practicalities to that bunch, they just quoted Karl Marx at you...rather than addressing day to day politics, hehe!

People change and mix and match...Just glad I am me at the end of it, I wear doc martens with purple jeans, tatty bauhaus T-shirt, or Bowie one, my M&S comfy warm jumpers, my primark undies, TK Maxx pilfered expensive cheap make up..Well do as I please and can afford, I may look a bit of a fright sometimes, but I am me and I only fit in with myself. No point in trying to fit in, I learned that a long time ago, just try to be comfy in my own vision :D

I am a bit jealous of people that have a working record player mine broke a while ago...not to be seen in charity shops meh, I have downscaled my records to about 15 now I think, includes 12 inch singles :D

Have a good Friday everyone and be yourself, don't be a larry (the lamb)

:)
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is being a homosexual class as hipsters?
    Forum Member
    yellowpark wrote: »

Nahh, most homosexuals I know are more secure in they don't need to be a dedicated follower of fashion...Bi ones like me are stuck between mod/goth and glam :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5gJ0hZpCc&feature=kp

Could not help the kinks link by the way sorry..Great song though, great band..:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    My friend called me quirky and such a hipster for wearing a tweed coat and brogues. I don't think she meant it in a bad way, I think it's just the new word to describe a little offbeat.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great thread, with some good replies. Seriously :-)
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    yellowpark wrote: »

No. The ghastly dress sense required to be a hipster is anathema to gays. :D
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Ha ha! :D
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What sort of music do hipsters like ?

Someone mentioned vinyl

If it's old stuff on vinyl I might have heard of some of it.......hell, I might even like it......:o

when did they stop making records on vinyl ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    What sort of music do hipsters like ?

Someone mentioned vinyl

If it's old stuff on vinyl I might have heard of some of it.......hell, I might even like it......:o

when did they stop making records on vinyl ?

Apparently cassetes are making a comeback on the hipster scene. That's just wilfully perverse; nobody has EVER got nostalgic about "the warmth of cassettes".
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    Hipsters are people who follow all pointless trends, listen to awful music thats been told to them on the radio that its the best ever and they must like it etc etc. They also wear rather rubbish clothes..

They are easily recognisable as they all have iPhones, iPads and spend their spare time hanging around the Apple Store in search of a religious experience.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

That actually sounds like fun. They've developed a whole scene around old and cheap stuff to get around their predicament of being abandoned by politicians and saddled with so debt that they'll never be able to live as anything other than a trendy student.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    They are easily recognisable as they all have iPhones, iPads and spend their spare time hanging around the Apple Store in search of a religious experience.

That doesn't narrow it down much...
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »

*Places Stephen Fry into the hipster file*
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't pass up the opportunity to post the only educational video you'll need on this particular topic.

http://youtu.be/lVmmYMwFj1I
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Foox wrote: »
    nods and shoreditch

skinny jeans big rimmed glasses that often they dont have a need for beanies and vans

Fake specs are soooooooo 2010. :D
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For what's its worth, shoreditch is in hackney

Hipsters are just boring middle class suburban kids who wanted to be a bit cool and edgy after they left Uni so they moved somewhere 'urban'

Mostly they are the living embodiment of the song Common People by Pulp.