Have you been ID'd for an ASDA home delivery?

Comments

• tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Penicilina wrote: »
    I work for Sainsbury's online and our drivers have to ask for ID if they believe the customer is under 25.
    What happens when the customer rightly refuses?
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Yeah, the postman always asks me for ID when he delivers a parcel.
    S'funny cos I thought that by registering on a supermarket site with a name and address and using a credit card registered at that address would be sufficient for a delivery to take place.
    Maybe I should ask the driver for ID next time.

Again, never been asked for ID from a postie. Even when I go to the office to collect a missed parcel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, never been asked for ID from a postie. Even when I go to the office to collect a missed parcel.
    I was being sarcastic! ID at a sorting office is reasonable, as you may have just picked up the card in the street.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was being sarcastic! ID at a sorting office is reasonable, as you may have just picked up the card in the street.

Haha, never noticed!! :blush::blush:

I always take ID but never been asked for it.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Maybe he could not read your signature and wanted to check your name was the correct one on the delivery (If they use names on deliveries)
  • PenicilinaPenicilina Posts: 93
    Forum Member

If they can't or won't provide ID, the shopping won't be delivered. But like I said most of our drivers know a lot of our customers as they are regulars so not really very often anyone gets asked for ID.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a little different but we sell alcohol by delivery and ID people regardless so we know for certain it's being delivered to the right person.

If somebody is ordering a bottle of vodka and a bottle of champagne you want to be fairly confident it's being left with the right person, even if they are clearly over 18.

I don't quite get the fuss to be honest, to me it makes a lot of sense checking out ID for any delivery. It's arguably a far better 'guarantee' for insurance purposes than a proof-of-delivery signature which realistically, doesn't mean a lot. I could sign for something with just a squiggle, claim it's not my signature and get a refund.

I'd imagine this has become policy not just because of booze but because of general security. If I remember correctly you do also have to be 18 to accept a delivery from Tesco/Asda.. and if they aren't sure they may not want to leave £50 of shopping with someone who only looks about 16, even if there's no alcohol.

Card security, ID fraud and money are big hot topics at the end of the day
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    balls to ID, it's time people used a bit of common sense like they did back in the day. This challenge 25 nonsense needs to be scrapped along with the nanny state.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    balls to ID, it's time people used a bit of common sense like they did back in the day. This challenge 25 nonsense needs to be scrapped along with the nanny state.

Any chance you'll explain yourself?

What's wrong with Challenge 25?

Do you believe alcohol should be de-restricted and available for general retail sale? :confused:
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member

Why would they 'rightly refuse'? Its in the t&c's of delivery so they will take the shopping away and charge you again for delivery.
    Forum Member

You think it's a nanny state if they want to stop underage people drinking?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Any chance you'll explain yourself?

What's wrong with Challenge 25?

Do you believe alcohol should be de-restricted and available for general retail sale? :confused:

it's totally over the top, it should be challenge 18 like it used to be. If someone is slightly underage, then so what? Really 16/17 year olds are mature enough to buy booze, well that was the age i used to go to pubs. It was pretty standard even back in the 90's. :)
    Forum Member
    it's totally over the top, it should be challenge 18 like it used to be. If someone is slightly underage, then so what? Really 16/17 year olds are mature enough to buy booze, well that was the age i used to go to pubs. It was pretty standard even back in the 90's. :)

Yeah, so what eh? Let's have kids drinking booze all over the place, what harm can it do?
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Challenge 25 might make it difficult for them to buy alcohol directly but does it stop them consuming alcohol since it is not actually against the law.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, so what eh? Let's have kids drinking booze all over the place, what harm can it do?

kids? young adults you mean. I didn't say we should have no restrictions
    Forum Member
    kids? young adults you mean. I didn't say we should have no restrictions

No they are children as defined by law.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alcohol and young people - the law
    If you’re under 18, it is against the law:

for someone to sell you alcohol
    to buy or try to buy alcohol
    for an adult to buy or try to buy alcohol for you
    to drink alcohol in licensed premises (eg a pub or restaurant)

However if you’re 16 or 17 and accompanied by an adult, you can drink (but not buy) beer, wine or cider with a meal.
    It’s illegal to give alcohol to children under 5.
    it's totally over the top, it should be challenge 18 like it used to be...

Chalenge 18 would seem to cover the legal part of that. It's probably all the under 18s trying to use fake ID, or otherwise buck the system, which force supermarkets to be more careful.

Either that or their liquor licence is worth a lot to them. ;-)
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I happily accepted my goods and signed his gadget then he asks for some ID. Cue puzzled me 'I didn't buy any alcohol!'

Apparently it's what they need to do on each delivery

I showed some ID and he left.

I wonder what would have happened if I had no ID. I'd already accepted the food afterall

How bizarre

Was I stitched up by Asda?

Not been asked for id by Asda delivery but i did once get asked by Ukmail for ID.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are very strict about ID at our sorting office.
    We do have kids drinking all over the place, kids over and under 18 :D Look at the state of our cities on a weekend!

I can fully understand the asking for ID and ID isn't just about restricted items it's about identity. It always gets such a funny reaction in this country when it's commonplace in others to hand over ID for so many things. I've always thought it was a good idea.

With the Asda delivery, can you imagine some parent calling them up saying my kids ordered some food from you and used our card (details stored on Asda website) without us asking and you delivered without checking ID against the account-holder's name, or some such thing.

I know we all sign for our delivery, but they are those stupid electronic things where a signature looks like a doodle.

It's the same with Click and Collect, they ask for ID (although not always, they recognise me by now as I use it every week). They sure aren't checking my age :D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    You think it's a nanny state if they want to stop underage people drinking?

We always used to have a glass of wine with the Sunday lunch as young teenagers. Perfectly legal to drink in the home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    With the Asda delivery, can you imagine some parent calling them up saying my kids ordered some food from you and used our card (details stored on Asda website) without us asking and you delivered without checking ID against the account-holder's name, or some such thing.
    That won't wash though. It's the card and account holder's responsibility to keep their credentials safe, you can't hold Asda responsible for a parent's inaction over their child.
    Forum Member
    We always used to have a glass of wine with the Sunday lunch as young teenagers. Perfectly legal to drink in the home.

And did you kids get sent out to buy the wine?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That won't wash though. It's the card and account holder's responsibility to keep their credentials safe, you can't hold Asda responsible for a parent's inaction over their child.
    I'm not saying you can hold Asda responsible, but at least they could say (if such a hypothetical situation were to occur, it's a very Daily Mail kind of story :D) they fulfilled their part of the contract, delivered to the account holder, checked ID, etc. and the rest was down to the parents.

My (perhaps stupidly far-fetched) point being that checking ID is part of them covering their own arses and avoiding any (however stupid) backlashes that could occur. It protects the store and the customer. That's why these checks are in place surely and only somebody who has something to hide would object to showing ID on receipt of their shopping. Shopping in-store they can check ID at the till, shopping online the only customer contact is at the door, so that's the only time they get the chance to check.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Penicilina wrote: »
    I work for Sainsbury's online and our drivers have to ask for ID if they believe the customer is under 25, even if they haven't ordered any age related products. It's just the companies policy, although very few of our drivers ask for ID.
    Shouldn't Sainsburys also enforce this with in-store purchases as well? Shouldn't they do this across the board in terms of fairness and enforcing policy across the board? Why do you need ID to purchase (non-age restricted) items online and not in-store when both are on the same ground legally and what is the difference paying by card in a store (or even cash where my ID isn't presented to Sainsburys in anyway) and paying online? In both cases, in-store and online, you don't know who I am without photo ID.
    muggins14 wrote: »
    They are very strict about ID at our sorting office.
    They are at our sorting office now, no ID - no item, and it could end up going back to the sender. At least they (at the moment) have the common sense to not make it mandatory it has to be a passport or driving licence. Some places won't even accept provisional driving licences - which means you have to learn to drive and pass your driving test (with the expenses behind that) before you can get a valid form of ID!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some places won't even accept provisional driving licences - which means you have to learn to drive and pass your driving test (with the expenses behind that) before you can get a valid form of ID!
    I've never understood the reason why they are so strict about the provisional drivers licence! You need other ID in order to get a provisional, you'd think that would give possession of one some validity.