LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 28)

Comments

• RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Hosken ranting on again about Big Brother, government tracking our movements and the HMRC selling our data. She has a real bee in her easter bonnet about this, and has covered it so many times.

Which is interesting because when it comes to NHS tourism, benefit cheats and numerous other issues she has often proposed the use of passports, or national insurance numbers as a simple way of solving the problem.

Seems to me that Petrie doesn't like the Big Brother culture when it's beady eye us on her, but when it comes to what she considers to be the "lower end" of society she's less fussy.

Hypocritical?

Hoskens blabbered on about being careful about her privacy

Hmm let me think - Son called Joshua , ,lives in Shepherd Bush and has a thing about soldiers...and I only listen 5 minutes a month!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    Was anyone listening to David and Ken just before noon? I think his producer 'dumped' him.

David said "Cyril Smith was a 60 60 973"

I wonder what he said!! :o

Got some ideas but all rather unprintable
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HappyTree wrote: »
    Very amusing to read how James O'Brien had been "busted" in 2003 and yet he's still got his job 11 years later. Doesn't seem that being found out has had any influence on his ability to earn money for the station.

What was he busted for in 2003? He's fond of telling the story of his encounter with the drugs squad when he was expelled from school but that would have been around 1990.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Who were Angie Ripon's "guests" from the world of Showbiz? They must have been pretty low down on the list if they were willing to be in sit at 0500. Everybody knows that theatre luvs dont rise until mid morning

Presumably the interviews were, like 'In Conversation', recorded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    Was anyone listening to David and Ken just before noon? I think his producer 'dumped' him.

David said "Cyril Smith was a 60 60 973"

I wonder what he said!! :o

It must have been deemed obscene rather than defamatory, because you can't libel a dead person.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    After reading about the odious Glutton Smith recently, I would be sent into orbit from DS if I posted my thoughts on him. I think it's very difficult even to use civil language when referring to him.
  • CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    chinchin wrote: »
    At least he spouts a left wing agenda against the overwhelmingly right wing nature and propaganda of the radio station. :p

:) Nice to see you posting. J O'B would be great if he didn't act like a dictator :p. Wouldn't be such a bad thing if he let callers that disagree with him have their say, without abruptly chopping them off with all his big-headed swagger.
  • iaindaleiaindale Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    LBC are doing us a disservice but not covering the arts, theatre, comedy, art and music on any level. It reeks of laziness.

Not quite true is it? Only this week I had two of the cast of HANDBAGGED in the studio and the day before I had Rory Bremner talking about being in the new production of RELATIVE LIVES. I also have my book club on Friday evenings. Steve's In Conversation programmes often feature people from the arts, theatre and comedy too. OK, there's no specific arts programme, but we are a newstalk station, after all.
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    It must have been deemed obscene rather than defamatory, because you can't libel a dead person.

It wouldn't be the first time DM has crossed the line...

But I am curious as to what happened.
    Forum Member
    iaindale wrote: »
    Not quite true is it? Only this week I had two of the cast of HANDBAGGED in the studio and the day before I had Rory Bremner talking about being in the new production of RELATIVE LIVES. I also have my book club on Friday evenings. Steve's In Conversation programmes often feature people from the arts, theatre and comedy too. OK, there's no specific arts programme, but we are a newstalk station, after all.

Yes, sadly, for some of us that remember the more lighthearted days of LBC.
  • radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    At least he spouts a left wing agenda against the overwhelmingly right wing nature and propaganda of the radio station. :p

He is about as left wing as Michael Heseltine. He is NOT left wing. He is a hollow shell. There is nothing backing up his arguments. He is there simply for the management to claim that LBC is not "overwhelmingly right wing". He's just a Alan Holmes for LBC, a veneer of "liberalism" when he isn't of that at all.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member

A vote here for the book club - and for more arts coverage on LBC.

PM has its moments and EM is not to be criticised for his innovations but it does often veer off into modern R4 lite territory a la "Broadcasting House". In contrast, I think you are with your guest spots pitching it at a slightly higher level - perhaps a political "Midweek", Kendall's "The Forum" or the thing Sue Macgregor does when she brings people from the past together. So your programme, which I do listen to occasionally, already has some creditable distinctiveness on LBC and these are the sorts of concepts you should continue to build on in my humble opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is about as left wing as Michael Heseltine. He is NOT left wing. He is a hollow shell. There is nothing backing up his arguments. He is there simply for the management to claim that LBC is not "overwhelmingly right wing". He's just a Alan Holmes for LBC, a veneer of "liberalism" when he isn't of that at all.

It's his 9-5 J ob
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member

True enough, you do go "off-agenda" sometimes but blimey, it's like a needle in a haystack out of your 20 hours a week let alone LBC's total output.

As for suggesting anyone listen to SA's embarassing mutterings... I'll pass on that think you!
  • CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Yes, sadly, for some of us that remember the more lighthearted days of LBC.

Wholeheartedly I agree. What ever went wrong with variety and a contrast from hard news to a lightweight humorous show during the day at the very least? Perhaps LBC has decided this is too risky in light of listening figures, (hmmm....) entertainment value being subject to taste. I call 'newstalk', lazy radio devoid of imagination let alone invention!

As for Steve's programme, most of us in slumberland to take much notice, however he happens to grab his listenership.
  • Inge JonesInge Jones Posts: 11,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A vote against yet arts here, but while we are voting I would like to ask for more in-depth interviews with real experts in the fields of serious topics such as economics, science etc, and I mean without the presenter keep interrupting them to play adversary, and not phone calls from people who want personal advice. I want some indepth analysis of the news, as well as the calls from the public.
  • clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always considered the arts to be part of the news, like sport, technology and business, and is not a completely separately entity so there is no reason why a newstalk station shouldn't have more arts news coverage. I suspect that LBC doesn't consider arts news to have as wide appeal as does chat about immigration and benefits which is probably why it doesn't feature as heavily in the schedule as it used to.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inge Jones wrote: »
    A vote against yet arts here, but while we are voting I would like to ask for more in-depth interviews with real experts in the fields of serious topics such as economics, science etc, and I mean without the presenter keep interrupting them to play adversary, and not phone calls from people who want personal advice. I want some indepth analysis of the news, as well as the calls from the public.

I'm with you, if I want the arts, theatre, music etc, which I don't, I'll listen to something else, I want news and preferably decent discussions of it especially after being at work all day and so missing it all till early evening.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say there are quite a few millionaires slumming it in Leicester Square each week, pontificating on all things great about Cameron and why poor people should be shot.
    Ferrari a definite.
    Are you seriously suggesting some presenters on LBC are millionaires?
    Listening to Andrew Pierce today.
    I wonder if his prep school had unqualified teachers?
    Andrew Pierce was brought up in a council house and went to a comprehensive school. Perhaps, in future, you should bother to find out true facts about people before posting.
    Forum Member
    It isn't even just the 'arts' or ((((yawn)))) book reviews.

It's a lack of almost ANYTHING light or less-than-hard news.

Still, LBC have made it clear that there is no room or need for lifelong listeners (or, at least as long as the station's life) like me, and it's no longer my default station - that honour now belongs to BBCR4X.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Confusing your Noel Cowards there, Iain. It's either Relative Values or Private Lives. I believe you mean the former! :D

I'm surprised that at least one of the culture vultures, with their passion for the arts, didn't spot it. ;-)
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member

Andrew Pierce was brought up in a council house and went to a comprehensive school. Perhaps, in future, you should bother to find out true facts about people before posting.

He mentions if often enough, I'm staggered that anyone wouldn't know this.

On the other hand he's also continually mentioning having dinner or being a "close personal" of some baroness or another so perhaps Radioviewer can be forgiven...
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Confusing your Noel Cowards there, Iain. It's either Relative Values or Private Lives. I believe you mean the former! :D

I'm surprised that at least one of the culture vultures, with their passion for the arts, didn't spot it. ;-)

I heard that on Iain's show during the week and sadly Rory Bremner's impression of Nigel Farage was extremely premature. I suspect the pressure to sell meant he was having to air it a lot earlier than he was perhaps ready to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not exactly hard - for anyone living in London who owns a house

- you;re pretty well half way there
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Glad to see you on Digital Spy Iain, I enjoy your show.
This discussion has been closed.