Options

PC painfully slow - help!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,122
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Our PC has just started to run really painfully slow. It freezes when switching programs - or even when opening a new web page in firefox.

Have done a defrag, it's still bad. We downloaded the free version of PC Doc Pro 5 which says there are 1000+ problems but I have no idea if this is any good enough.

We have Windows XP and I have the free AVG virus thingy. Have run a virus scan too.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    how much free memory is there.
    anything installed recently? whats in the system tray?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do I find that out?

The AVG was installed fairly recently - I got rid of Norton.

Oh on the C drive it says 8.95 free out of 29.9gb
    D drive it says 43.4 out of 111gb - is that the memory?
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The C & D drive is Hard drive space, not memory. You appear to have plenty of free space.
    I've never heard of PC Doc Pro, so unless it's from somewhere reputable, uninstall it.
    Try running Task Manager (right-click the bar at the bottom of the screen) and see if any processes are taking a lot of CPU or Memory. You can sort by those column by clicking the column heading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea where it came from my dearest husband found it so I am uninstalling it and wow it is painful - keeps freezing!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firefox is taking up about 100,000k, 2 AVGs are 73,000k and 23,500k respectively

MSIMN? 15,000k don't know what that is
    explorer 10,000k and if that's internet explorer I don't even use it....

CPU usage keeps changing but is going up to 93%+ commit chare 680m/1245m

Any help?

Thanks by the way so far everyone!!
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never trust programs that scan your pc for "free", & then discover loads of problems which (they claim) can only be fixed by buying their full program.

9 times out of 10 they are scams, indicating false problems just to get you to buy their product.

How much installed memory do you have? If you don't know, click on the start button, click on "control panel" & double click on "system".

Although you have done an antivirus check, it may also be worth checking for spyware with a program such as Malwarebytes. Also a program such as Ccleaner will clean your registry of all unwanted entries as well as other useful tools, such as editing your startup programs.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Click "Start" then "Run"

In the box that pops up type msinfo32.exe

It may take a while especially if your machine is running slow, but eventually a window will open containing all you ever need to know about your PC :D Near the bottom it will have the information you need...

Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 996.76 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 2.11 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

If you select edit - select all and then copy you should be able to paste the info straight into a post as above..... It might be helpful to others it you just paste the whole lot as it gives other information that may help diagnose the problem
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3.06Ghz 512mb of ram?????

Sorry I am a bit thick with this stuff!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 21.94 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 1.22 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There could be another issues, but I think you'll find an extra 512 MB or even 1GB of ram will make it feel like a new machine...

Adding more than that will be a case of diminishing returns in most cases.
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's why your PC is seemingly running slow. 512MB of RAM is virtually nothing these days. You're lucky you're on XP instead of Vista or 7, else that'd be even worse!

If you don't want to invest in new hardware (such as extra RAM) then I'd advise using these steps (All are freeware):

- Download and install Malwarebyes. Update it to its latest definitions and run a full system scan. Once complete, remove all, if any, infections.

- Download and install CCleaner. Check everything you want to remove (such as cookies, temp files, etc) and run the scanner. Remove all that it detects. Also, run the registry cleaner which is has inbuilt into the programme. Once scanned the registry, backup your registry when prompted (just select a save location and CCleaner will do it for you). Then remove all unwanted registry files.

- Ensure that your AVG is up to date, and run a full system scan, removing any problems it may find.

- Defragment your hard drive, either by using Windows XPs inbuilt feature, or by using JkDefrag, which is my personal preference. This will reorganise the innards of your hard drive, making it more structured and easier for the PC to access, thus speeding it up.

All of these will take a long time to complete I imagine, especially on such a low specification PC as yours. Do not run more than one at a time though, because that'd cause some severe slow downs on the system, and possibly lead to crashes.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. You definately need more RAM.

If you're not sure what type of RAM you need, you can go to the Crucial website & download a small program (system scanner tool) that will scan your pc & recommend some memory for you. Of course, you don't have to buy it from them, but it will give you an idea of what memory you need.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chiller15 wrote: »
    - Download and install CCleaner. Check everything you want to remove (such as cookies, temp files, etc) and run the scanner. Remove all that it detects. Also, run the registry cleaner which is has inbuilt into the programme. Once scanned the registry, backup your registry when prompted (just select a save location and CCleaner will do it for you). Then remove all unwanted registry files..

Just a footnote to this....

You may need to repeat the registry scan several times before it finds all the issues as they tend to mask each other.

Just repeat the steps scan - backup - fix until it finds none.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow thank you so much all. The PC isn't that old really, or maybe it is ancient in PC terms so I didn't even think about the fact that 512 isn't a lot of RAM! Will do all the steps suggested (have finally got Malwarebytes running after all this time!!) and then get some.

I knew you all would know the answer. Thank you :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    xaulleo wrote: »
    How do I find that out?

The AVG was installed fairly recently - I got rid of Norton.

Oh on the C drive it says 8.95 free out of 29.9gb
    D drive it says 43.4 out of 111gb - is that the memory?

Did you actually use the Norton Removal tool to remove Norton? If not then parts of it will still be in your system and could possibly slow it down. It's odd that you've had no problems until after the new AVG was installed.
  • Options
    100andthirty100andthirty Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    based on all this, I would do this, to remove the influence of PC DocPro5, and lingering Norton Components and any malware:

1) download and save Norton removal tool.. https://www.symantec.com/en/uk/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

2) if not already done, download and save AVG
    3) Download and save Malwarebytes http://downloads.cnet.co.uk/0,39100207,39282203s,00.htm . Install it and update it, but don't run a scan yet.
    4) uninstall PC Doc Pro 5
    5) disconnect from the internet
    6) uninstall AVG
    7) run the Norton Removal tool
    8) reinstall AVG, reconnect to the internet, and update it.
    9) reboot to safe mode and run Malwarebytes. Delete all the things it finds,

this should get your PC back to where it was. However, as others have said, another 512MB of memory will work wonders too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Sorry to butt in on someone elses post but I have a similar problem to xaulleo. My Dell machine has 1gb RAM and 160gb storage so should be reasonable.
    My problem is that after it has been running about 1/2 hrs in the am it gets very slow, can take 2/3 minutes to get back to the running pages after it has gone to screensaver or beyond.
    But come the afternoon and evening it's back up to a reasonable operating performance.
    I have checked the task manager and CPU usage can be in the high 90's when its slow, Firefox seems to take up most of the mem usage, followed by Mcshield and then Msmpeng.
    Control panel says the C drive does not need fragmenting and I do regularly clean up cookies etc; but there do seem to be an enormous amount of processes running, according to task manager, but very small mem usage compared with the top three.
    Any ideas?
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think Firefox is causing slow downs, simply change to another browser.

Use CCleaner to remove any temporary files.
    Scan for spyware/malware using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
    Run a virus scan using Avira Home Free or something similar.

If you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7 on 1GB of RAM, that could also cause problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We ended up getting a newer PC with way more RAM - the old one just got worse and worse. Think it was just far too old poor thing :(
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    towny44 wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in on someone elses post but I have a similar problem to xaulleo. My Dell machine has 1gb RAM and 160gb storage so should be reasonable.
    My problem is that after it has been running about 1/2 hrs in the am it gets very slow, can take 2/3 minutes to get back to the running pages after it has gone to screensaver or beyond.
    But come the afternoon and evening it's back up to a reasonable operating performance.
    I have checked the task manager and CPU usage can be in the high 90's when its slow, Firefox seems to take up most of the mem usage, followed by Mcshield and then Msmpeng.
    Control panel says the C drive does not need fragmenting and I do regularly clean up cookies etc; but there do seem to be an enormous amount of processes running, according to task manager, but very small mem usage compared with the top three.
    Any ideas?

As well as the above advice for running CCLeaner and Malwarebytes, I would also recommend getting rid of McAfee and using Avira instead. You might find that this alone is enough to solve the issue.

Also, check Task Scheduler to see if any tasks are scheduled during the slowdown and and look in Task Manager to see what is taking up the most CPU usage.
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    max99 wrote: »
    As well as the above advice for running CCLeaner and Malwarebytes, I would also recommend getting rid of McAfee and using Avira instead. You might find that this alone is enough to solve the issue.

Also, check Task Scheduler to see if any tasks are scheduled during the slowdown and and look in Task Manager to see what is taking up the most CPU usage.

I might add tat you can use the feature in Ccleaner .. Tools /Startup and highlight and disable all but your antivirus and firewall if it's not windows firewall.

This may allow your pc to start up a bit quicker and there are a lot of other services that ..........

Brain Freeze , 10 'bonus points to anyone that can complete the sebtence'
    Problem is am I going to know if someone gets the right answer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have downloaded and run both malwarebytes and CCleaner, they both got rid of quite a bit of rubbish and the pc seems to be working quite fast at present. However will give it a few more days and see if it performs well through it's normal morning siesta.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    towny44 wrote: »
    I have downloaded and run both malwarebytes and CCleaner, they both got rid of quite a bit of rubbish and the pc seems to be working quite fast at present. However will give it a few more days and see if it performs well through it's normal morning siesta.
    Maybe my pc is performing a little better than before, and according to Task manager it does have more available memory and the CPU usage is lower than at it was at it's worst. But it still does seem to take a siesta around mid morning and getting it back up and running after it has been left to go to screensaver and then close the screen still takes much longer than it does later in the day. Which to my mind is a bit odd since if it has been left alone for a while it ought to be running at virtually no CPU usage and ready and waiting with it's tail wagging to get stuck into to surfing the net again; most strange.
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Look in scheduled tasks to see if anything such as a virus scan is happening at that time.

All programs, accessories, system tools, scheduled tasks.