Options

Why is Alexandra Burke's "Let It Go" flopping?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the public don't want to listen to yet another hollow, soulless party song from another vapid, manufactured bimbo? Maybe the public have better things to do with their three-and-a-half minutes? Maybe she is the exception and not the rule, but maybe, just maybe, the public are fed up of ugly nymphomaniacs prostituting themselves on record? Maybe the tide is turning? Okay, maybe not, music today still makes me blood boil and my ears bleed that boiling blood, but I jump for joy every time one of these arrogant wenches fall and fail, miserably. Goodbye Alexandra Burke, I hope you can find something better to do with your life. I hope you find your soul.
    Aren't you 14? Probably going through that "indie" phase that some morons go through.

"Real" music? Hm. What is that? Please explain. As far as I was concerned, the same steps are made when recording pop as other kinds of music. The rest is simply personal preference.

Music is meant to be enjoyed. The fact you think pop fans are soul-less shows you up as the 14 year old you are.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She seems to have been blacklisted by so many radio stations for some reason and its ruining her career.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Kanzi wrote: »
    That's not the point. The point is the song is nothing new. Alex is playing sheep. And for a style that's now bereft of anything remotely interesting she's bound to fare badly.

The only real surprise is why any of us care. There's plenty more Alex's in the paddock.

That is the point. The only people who do what she does is Cheryl, Gaga and Beyonce. Plenty of Alex's...interesting. She's one of a few actually good singers and in an elite of brilliant performers.
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    That is the point. The only people who do what she does is Cheryl, Gaga and Beyonce. Plenty of Alex's...interesting. She's one of a few actually good singers and in an elite of brilliant performers.

That's why I don't understand why she has not released a proper power ballad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only stations that matter are R1 and Capital. Their impacts are huge. Her impacts are good to say they're not supporting her. But her casual fan base listen to Capital, and so aren't hearing it. They're the only 2 not playing her, hence it looking odd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The song is flopping because it lacks personality, and is extremely formulaic. Alexandra's fanbase have come to expect better things of her following the impressive Overcome, and I agree that lack of airplay isn't helping the single campaign.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's why I don't understand why she has not released a proper power ballad.

She has. December 2010. The silence on XF, YT it. Syco wanted to differentiate her from Leona, but she already was different. It was meant to be single #3 from her debut but they cancelled it - no idea why, it did annoy Alex, she announced it on twitter and everything. I wish she'd put out more ballads. She really can sing, and uptempos don't show that.
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has. December 2010. The silence on XF, YT it. Syco wanted to differentiate her from Leona, but she already was different. It was meant to be single #3 from her debut but they cancelled it - no idea why, it did annoy Alex, she announced it on twitter and everything. I wish she'd put out more ballads. She really can sing, and uptempos don't show that.

Yeah I know but not as a third or fourth single. A proper lead single. Syco got the strategy all wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cheryl, GaGa, Beyonce, Tulisa, Jessie J, Little Boots, Nicki Minaj, Natalia Kills, Britney, The Saturdays, Alexis Jordan, Madonna, Rihanna, Leona, Pixie Lott, Nicole Scherzinger, Kelly Clarkson, anyone boring enough to sign up to a Guetta/Harris single.

All the aforementioned are/have within the last year done/are doing exactly what Alex is trying to spin off now and released some ridiculously generic club anthem about abandoning troubles and, quite literally, letting 'it' go, to varying degrees of success (poor Natalia...). The mere fact that Alex has been so blindingly obvious in her sheepy behaviour should be reason enough.

And no, I will not accept her voice as a reason to separate her from the rest of the pop pap rabble. She consigned herself to an anonymous purveyor of stale handbag house void of any soul back when she tried to make 'Start Without You' work. You can't praise her voice if she refuses to use it to it's full potential, and for an album she claims to have had nearly full creative control over, I do not expect to see fans try to cover up for her idiocy in that she has wasted such a voice of drivel like 'Elephant' and 'Let It Go'. To come back with a song the sucked any residual personality further into a vacuum was one of RCA's stupidest moves since Aguilera's 'Bi-On-Ic'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The song is flopping because it lacks personality, and is extremely formulaic. Alexandra's fanbase have come to expect better things of her following the impressive Overcome, and I agree that lack of airplay isn't helping the single campaign.

But it does. Its her. She's the kind of person who lives by the lyrics of the song. Cheryls music has no personality but she sells because she gets lots of airplay. I'd believe you if it was at #20 on airplay but it's at #84.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I know but not as a third or fourth single. A proper lead single. Syco got the strategy all wrong.

Oh yeah, I know that....I don't know what they were thinking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheryl, GaGa, Beyonce, Tulisa, Jessie J, Little Boots, Nicki Minaj, Natalia Kills, Britney, The Saturdays, Alexis Jordan, Madonna, Rihanna, Leona, Pixie Lott, Nicole Scherzinger, Kelly Clarkson, anyone boring enough to sign up to a Guetta/Harris single.

All the aforementioned are/have within the last year done/are doing exactly what Alex is trying to spin off now and released some ridiculously generic club anthem about abandoning troubles and, quite literally, letting 'it' go, to varying degrees of success (poor Natalia...). The mere fact that Alex has been so blindingly obvious in her sheepy behaviour should be reason enough.

And no, I will not accept her voice as a reason to separate her from the rest of the pop pap rabble. She consigned herself to an anonymous purveyor of stale handbag house void of any soul back when she tried to make 'Start Without You' work. You can't praise her voice if she refuses to use it to it's full potential, and for an album she claims to have had nearly full creative control over, I do not expect to see fans try to cover up for her idiocy in that she has wasted such a voice of drivel like 'Elephant' and 'Let It Go'. To come back with a song the sucked any residual personality further into a vacuum was one of RCA's stupidest moves since Aguilera's 'Bi-On-Ic'

I highly doubt she'd not want to use her voice. Whenever she does covers, they're so drastically different to her music. Her personal musical tastes are so different to her own that it makes me think that she isn't entirely happy with her own stuff. She sang Frank Ocean and has Tonight on her album. It's just not the same person. Her debut was fine.
  • Options
    FabalaFabala Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't you 14? Probably going through that "indie" phase that some morons go through.

"Real" music? Hm. What is that? Please explain. As far as I was concerned, the same steps are made when recording pop as other kinds of music. The rest is simply personal preference.

Music is meant to be enjoyed. The fact you think pop fans are soul-less shows you up as the 14 year old you are.
    Indie phase that some morons go through? What is that supposed to mean?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I highly doubt she'd not want to use her voice. Whenever she does covers, they're so drastically different to her music. Her personal musical tastes are so different to her own that it makes me think that she isn't entirely happy with her own stuff. She sang Frank Ocean and has Tonight on her album. It's just not the same person. Her debut was fine.

Stop being a fan for a moment and let's bring this back to 'Let It Go'. Awful melody, rubbish lyrics about pubbing and clubbing it, absolutely nothing new to anyone since the dawn of Man, and a once-richly soulful voice wasted by some twattish producer making love to an auto-tuner.

This is why it is failing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a crap song. I was really disappointed when I heard it. It doesn't come close to the quality of anything on Overcome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stop being a fan for a moment and let's bring this back to 'Let It Go'. Awful melody, rubbish lyrics about pubbing and clubbing it, absolutely nothing new to anyone since the dawn of Man, and a once-richly soulful voice wasted by some twattish producer making love to an auto-tuner.

This is why it is failing.

I actually preferred this to Elephant which I hated at first. It's great turned up to jam to. But then your description of that of most dance songs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever a song is crap... Blame the radio:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best single of Alex's career has undoubtedly been All Night Long, that's the type of dance/club music she should aim to replicate. The record company were right to cancel The Silence as the third release.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dory353 wrote: »
    The best single of Alex's career has undoubtedly been All Night Long, that's the type of dance/club music she should aim to replicate. The record company were right to cancel The Silence as the third release.

It's worth noting that Alexandra was the most played female on UK radio in 2010...and arguably her worst song Start Without You got mega airplay...and 2 weeks at #1...she even kept Katy Perry from #1

Both Elephant and LIG are considered better by many, and tbh I think her radio snub was deliberate. People can make jibes and call her music crap, but there have been far worse releases that have received mega airplay and support.

It's a shame that it only takes 2 radio stations to run an artist into the ground like this, especially one as talented as Alexandra, but I guess talent just doesn't come into it any more.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i disagree, she had better material with syco. 3 #1 singles and big selling début album clocking up 4 million total sales in the process. now she has changed label the material is not as good in my opinion and that is why things are not going so well.

syco have made some significant mistakes with their artists in the past. however, i do think they maximised alexandra`s potential.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    i disagree, she had better material with syco. 3 #1 singles and big selling début album clocking up 4 million total sales in the process. now she has changed label the material is not as good in my opinion and that is why things are not going so well.

syco have made some significant mistakes with their artists in the past. however, i do think they maximised alexandra`s potential.

They did, but not with single releases. The Silence ought to have been out in December 2009 with an XF performance and then followed up with Broken Heels. And then a mid tempo, be it Bury Me or You Broke My Heart and then ANL. Whitney did that with her 2nd album. Uptempo, ballad, uptempo, ballad, uptempo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how people class Start Without You as crud just because it's cheesy and fun.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she has been blacklisted on the radio she should have been using the TV more to get her music out and planned in advance.

The whole Jermaine cheating on her stuff and him asking for the car back smells like a stunt, she doesn't need to do Cole stuff like that.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    another page and another dig about cheryl.:rolleyes: its just so irrelevant.

anyway back to the thread. i think syco did get the single releases right except for `broken heels`, never liked that song and perhaps `the silence` should have been released then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Silence should have been her big return song followed by All night long, broken heels, Bad Boys then Start without you.

SWY was always going to be a winner. It sampled iko iko, which is an iconic catchy tune. The performances were hot and it's just a crazy fun song. Just because it's not super serious "look how creative and hard working i am" doesn't mean it's not good.

As far as this campaign, well, Elephant was the right choice for first single, it was current and catchy - but they dropped the ball with the poop of a video.

2nd single could have at least been something good, though :/ the pre-album singles are the best chance of number ones and high sellers, but they don't seem to be trying.

Even if there's not much tv promo or radio coverage, why not hit the internet hard? Stick a couple of acoustics of album tracks on youtube, hit twitter with big fan interaction etc. She doesn't seem to know how to promote herself.com