"Just a little bit"

doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
Forum Member
I'm going to vent here so bear with me.

Why is it whenever I order a BLT from a sandwich shop and ask for a little bit of mayo they absolutely smother it in the stuff, every single time and from every single shop?

Same when I order a kebab or ask for a lightly buttered scone, it's like they're robots who have only two modes, loads of sauce or no sauce and they can't do in between.

Years ago I used to ask for burgers with no gherkins as McDonalds but more often than not they'd still come with them in, so I gave up and now take them out myself, just like I have to have BLTs with no mayo now.

What is it that's so hard about making a sandwich is what I would like to know, and since I'm the customer why can't I have it the way I want rather than the way they want?

For a supposed "Nation of Shopkeepers" we're absolutely terrible at customer service.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not had those issues but when I used to order sandwiches for work there were a couple of people who didn't like/want butter.

Most of the time when I asked for no butter the sandwiches still came with it on. I got the blame :mad:
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The easiest way around this is to put on your own mayonnaise.
    Forum Member
    Do you take your own mayo to a shop in your dinner hour?
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or make your own sandwiches at home and take to work, that way they're just the way you like it every time:)
    Forum Member
    or buy and operate a sandwich shop so you can make your own sandwiches how you like them every day!
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    People's opinions of 'just a little bit' aren't all the same.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    or buy and operate a sandwich shop so you can make your own sandwiches how you like them every day!

I'd like to do that actually, I mean we actually invented the things but they're pathetic in this country, especially those things in chiller cabinets in the little cardboard containers, Tesco even tried to sell those in the U.S. can you imagine? :D

When it comes to sarnies the yanks have got us beat by a mile, and in customer service as well, you get your sandwich like you want it.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they put too much of stuff on, i WILL ask for another with less on.

I hate toppings on stuff anyway so i have no prob with this.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's robotic that the servers put in what's expected, and I suppose they don't want to appear mean with the sauces when the dollop it on.

We always use the same takeaway place if we fancy a burger of a kebab for the OH.

I always have a double cheeseburger, but I don't want sauce on it and I hate vegetation in my burgers, so I say at ordering, no sauce, no salad.

They still ask a couple of times more, if I want sauce or salad.:confused:

It's like I'm somehow upsetting the 'way of things' and that a person should want, nay need, a vegetable patch and a lake of sauce in their burger. And to buck that is an affront to burger makers everywhere.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i found in mcdonalds saying a plain cheeseburger works better than saying no gherkins, kebabs no sauce but get a tub so you can add, i cant eat butter luckily most places use mayo instead but small cafes can still load the butter on .. boak
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to say, "Just a little bit of salt" when ordering from a chip shop, because every chip shop seems to pile on the salt! But it was still too much so now I ask for none and just put the salt on myself at home.

I hate sauce and salad so I ask for burgers and sandwiches plain, which works 90% of the time. There's been a couple occasions in McDonalds where I've just been given a bog-standard burger with sauce and everything else in. So I make sure to check before I leave now. One time I ordered a breakfast baguette from a cafe without sauce. The lady put sauce on it and I had to remind her I'd asked for none. She insisted I'd said I wanted it and sighed saying, "Well I've done it now" so I said, "But I asked for no sauce", then I saw her put it to one side. Thinking she'd made another one, I got home, opened it, and she'd just scraped off as much sauce as she could and covered it up wth new bacon. Never been back there since!

Some places seem to think you're being difficult, even though it actually saves them time by not having to put on sauce and salad! But because they're used to doing everything in an order, it's like you're messing things up and they have to actually think about what they're doing! In some restaurants I get a weird look from staff when I ask for a burger plain, and they go, "No sauce? So you just want a plain burger in a plain bun?" as if it's complete madness! Yes I bloody well do thank you, and I'm still paying the same price so what's it to you?! Of course I don't actually say that... but I wish I could!
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    I'd like to do that actually, I mean we actually invented the things but they're pathetic in this country, especially those things in chiller cabinets in the little cardboard containers, Tesco even tried to sell those in the U.S. can you imagine? :D

When it comes to sarnies the yanks have got us beat by a mile, and in customer service as well, you get your sandwich like you want it.

Too right. I'd love there to be somewhere like Stage Deli here where you could get a huge deli sandwich.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

I cook my own lunch every day.
    Forum Member
    The thead topic is about buying sandwiches from shops.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

...ask for a plain sandwich, buy some mayo and then add how much mayo you want to said sandwich?:o
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    MagiLisu wrote: »
    ...ask for a plain sandwich, buy some mayo and then add how much mayo you want to said sandwich?:o

I think what degsy is saying is that this involves carrying mayonnaise round with you every day.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what degsy is saying is that this involves carrying mayonnaise round with you every day.

You can get little individual packets - may be worth investing in them if it makes the sandwich better.