Options

My idea to cut crime

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Kevin in Home Alone had two parents.

They flew away and left him to be attacked by burglars.

And he ended up in New York on his own....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8064435/Children-in-single-parent-families-worse-behaved.html
    Some 12 per cent of children brought up by one parent displayed series behavioural problems by the age of seven, it was disclosed, compared with just six per cent of youngsters raised by both natural parents.

The disclosure is made as part of a major study of around 14,000 children born in Britain between 2000 and 2002.

It found that family make-up, parental qualifications and household income had a major effect on children’s behaviour at a young age, which could have “damaging long-term consequences”.

In a separate analysis, researchers also discovered that children with younger mothers had a “much more difficult start in life” than those with mothers over 30.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/162361/prisoners-childhood-family-backgrounds.pdf.pdf

http://www.civitas.org.uk/pubs/experiments.php

There are some reports that support the idea a fatherless environment, particularlly if the parents also have criminal records, can lead children to end up with criminal records also.

I'd also like to point out demanding evidence and statistics while not supplying your own in defence of your argument is some weak sauce.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    How much crime is committed by the offspring of single mothers, a huge amount, probably even the majority.

And how many of these people would have grown up to become criminals if they'd been raised by their father instead of their mother?

A lot fewer I think, because fathers are much more likely to give the children the discipline they need so they don't go off the rails.

So simply my idea to cut crime (and prevent thousands of ruined lives) is to re-balance the courts so that in custody cases the father is favoured rather than the mother, this would lead to a massive cut in crime and a lot fewer people in prison.

Obviously this would lead to a massive outcry from mother's groups and would be very difficult to achieve but just by balancing the courts so that the mother is no longer automatically favoured would still lead to a smaller but still considerable cut in crime.

What do you think? I can't see how this wouldn't lead to a better society with less crime, fewer people in prison and hundreds of millions of pounds will be saved.

This is the most ridiculous brain fart I've ever read.
    The idea has more holes than your underwear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So single mothers produce criminals and the evidence is there for all to see if they choose to watch some crap Hollywood movie. Only on DS!

OP, you make me laugh.
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So single mothers produce criminals and the evidence is there for all to see if they choose to watch some crap Hollywood movie. Only on DS!

OP, you make me laugh.

I agree with what you say but boy n the hood is a great film :p
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member

OP, you make me laugh.

It was a crappy movie and it was very much based on real life, in fact on the life of the guy who wrote it.

You don't think that the kids who get into gangs in ghettos are the ones with no fathers around? A lot of them don't even have their mothers around, they're brought up by their grandmas, and as Chris Rock said, those people are going to jail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a crappy movie and it was very much based on real life, in fact on the life of the guy who wrote it.

You don't think that the kids who get into gangs in ghettos are the ones with no fathers around? A lot of them don't even have their mothers around, they're brought up by their grandmas, and as Chris Rock said, those people are going to jail.

Stereotypes.

Where's your evidence to support this policy?
  • Options
    dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are loads of statistics. Just google if you want them, showing the offending rate is higher for those coming from single parent families.

However, where the Op's argument breaks down is that some of the single parent issues are forced because the fathers are themselves in prison!! Hardly, appropriate when deciding matters of custody. To be fair some of the mothers are also.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delly wrote: »
    There are loads of statistics. Just google if you want them, showing the offending rate is higher for those coming from single parent families.

However, where the Op's argument breaks down is that some of the single parent issues are forced because the fathers are themselves in prison!! Hardly, appropriate when deciding matters of custody. To be fair some of the mothers are also.

'Children brought up by lone parents are more likely to start offending than those who live with two natural parents. It is also more likely that children of single parents may live in poverty, which is strongly associated with juvenile delinquency.[2] However once the attachment a child feels towards their parent(s) and the level of parental supervision are taken into account, children in single parent families are no more likely to offend than others.[20] Conflict between a child's parents is also much more closely linked to offending than being raised by a lone parent.[4]'

Not so clear cut, is it?
  • Options
    dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Children brought up by lone parents are more likely to start offending than those who live with two natural parents. It is also more likely that children of single parents may live in poverty, which is strongly associated with juvenile delinquency.[2] However once the attachment a child feels towards their parent(s) and the level of parental supervision are taken into account, children in single parent families are no more likely to offend than others.[20] Conflict between a child's parents is also much more closely linked to offending than being raised by a lone parent.[4]'

Not so clear cut, is it?

Absolutely not, and it wasn't my intention to make it sound that way. Just the reverse in fact. If children come from a family where the father or mother are in prison or has been stigmatised then they are far more likely to become an offender from that background. Which was my point.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    D&G is nothing if not predictable. He knew what he was doing when he mentioned Boyz n the Hood; bait and hook.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member

Well........if Chris rock said so...
  • Options
    Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Well........if Chris rock said so...

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air had a couple of guys who were up to no good in his neighbourhood, and after getting in one little fight his mother packed his bags and sent him to his auntie and Uncle in Bel Air. Look how he turned out.:D
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think my own mother might take issue with your generalisation,OP.

She spent five years with a total waster who spent all their money on beer and other women while she and her children almost starved to death.( my brother and sister were actually diagnosed as malnourished)
    She eventually plucked up the courage to leave when she found out she was pregnant with me.

She brought us up ( with the help of family and some very good friends,which allowed her to do two jobs to bring food to our table and keep a roof over our heads with no houndouts from the government)

My sister is a PA,my brother is a quantity surveyor and I am very happily married with two bright kids with good jobs ( nurse and accountant)
    None of us have ever been in trouble with the police.

Put that in your ill-informed pipe and smoke it.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much crime is committed by the offspring of single mothers, a huge amount, probably even the majority.
    Force them to get married to homeless men - voilà, children of single parents stop committing crimes & no homeless men living on the streets.

Sometimes I amaze even myself.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP may well have a point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8064435/Children-in-single-parent-families-worse-behaved.html

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/162361/prisoners-childhood-family-backgrounds.pdf.pdf

http://www.civitas.org.uk/pubs/experiments.php

There are some reports that support the idea a fatherless environment, particularlly if the parents also have criminal records, can lead children to end up with criminal records also.

I'd also like to point out demanding evidence and statistics while not supplying your own in defence of your argument is some weak sauce.

I was the one who asked what statistics were available.

I made no argument in favour or against, therefore I had no need to provide any statistics to counter what the OP said.

If you are going to post something as a fact, especially on a controversial topic it is up to you to prove your point.
  • Options
    StaceySkyStaceySky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was raised ONLY by my mother. And I am sure not a criminal.
    If I was raised by only my father. I would be doomed. Right now I would be on drugs, murdering people.

So no OP I do not like your idea at all. Your post has actually slightly annoyed me.
  • Options
    StaceySkyStaceySky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think my own mother might take issue with your generalisation,OP.

She spent five years with a total waster who spent all their money on beer and other women while she and her children almost starved to death.( my brother and sister were actually diagnosed as malnourished)
    She eventually plucked up the courage to leave when she found out she was pregnant with me.

She brought us up ( with the help of family and some very good friends,which allowed her to do two jobs to bring food to our table and keep a roof over our heads with no houndouts from the government)

My sister is a PA,my brother is a quantity surveyor and I am very happily married with two bright kids with good jobs ( nurse and accountant)
    None of us have ever been in trouble with the police.

Put that in your ill-informed pipe and smoke it.
    :) I like this post a lot :) You have a great mum there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    StaceySky wrote: »
    I was raised ONLY by my mother. And I am sure not a criminal.
    If I was raised by only my father. I would be doomed. Right now I would be on drugs, murdering people.

So no OP I do not like your idea at all. Your post has actually slightly annoyed me.

Obviously you'd still have to look at every case individually, but it seems like it's the case at the moment where the mother automatically gets custody and this might not be the best thing for the children or society.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    By the OPs logic I should have gone off the rails years ago.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StaceySky wrote: »
    :) I like this post a lot :) You have a great mum there.

thanks,staceysky.
    She's been an inspiration to me all my life,and that's why total crap like that which the OP is spouting makes me very angry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Obviously you'd still have to look at every case individually, but it seems like it's the case at the moment where the mother automatically gets custody and this might not be the best thing for the children or society.

Now that's a different argument, and one that many people would probably agree with.

I agree, the family courts especially are often heavily weighted in favour of the mother, and that may not always be in the best interests of the child.

But that is a completely different argument to your OP in which you basically blamed single mothers for criminal children, which is what many took issue with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe we ought to take gender into account then, it's men after all who commit the vast majority of crime and therefore it's boys who would benefit most from having the father around.
  • Options
    Forum Member

But that is a completely different argument to your OP in which you basically blamed single mothers for criminal children, which is what many took issue with.

I think people took it too personally, "I was raised by a single mother and I'm okay" but in these inner-city areas where there are no fathers around the youths are literally running riot as we've all seen and it's a big problem.