Options

Tourist walks off pier while browsing on Facebook

TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
Forum Member
✭✭
Awful of me, but I'm still finding this the funniest thing I read today: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/18/tourist-walks-off-pier-while-browsing-on-facebook

Especially this bit:
There will be no need for a lost property report as the woman kept hold of her mobile phone throughout the ordeal.

Comments

• Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd think there'd be railings of some sort
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Awful of me, but I'm still finding this the funniest thing I read today: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/18/tourist-walks-off-pier-while-browsing-on-facebook

Especially this bit:

Its not awful Takae it brought a smile to my face aswell :D Silly bugger didn't even let go of her phone ....
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member

You'd think people could manage to put their sodding mobiles down for a few minutes from time to time.

I swear at times that the introduction of mobile phones (especially "smart phones"), is someone's attempt to pour some chlorine in the gene pool. It certainly seems like an awful lot of people put replying to a text message, or letting Doreen know that you're going to be 30 seconds late is much more important than minor things like paying attention to your surroundings in a potentially dangerous situation.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It appears they still allow common sense in Australia as opposed to here where we will probably end up with 12ft electric fences . But yes it is a bit odd as there are railings on one side and a pier is a place you would think they would have them.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Darwinism in action.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Gives new meaning to taking a long walk off a short pier
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    You'd think people could manage to put their sodding mobiles down for a few minutes from time to time.

I swear at times that the introduction of mobile phones (especially "smart phones"), is someone's attempt to pour some chlorine in the gene pool. It certainly seems like an awful lot of people put replying to a text message, or letting Doreen know that you're going to be 30 seconds late is much more important than minor things like paying attention to your surroundings in a potentially dangerous situation.

I agree, my ex would be on her phone ALL THE TIME when we went on dates and that really annoyed me to the point I'd snatch her phone off her and keep hold of it for the duration. I did say ex...

I have a phone, but I've had it switched off for the last 4 weeks because I just can't be bothered to talk to anyone haha. It's not bothered me in the slightest, except the fact that my mother thinks I'm intentionally ignoring her, silly mare's moidering my dad all the time now and it's starting to get on his nerves lol.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "OMFG. Currently Falling Through Mid Air. Lolzzz!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gives new meaning to taking a long walk off a short pier

And to peer pressure.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Darwinism in action.

How so???
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Darwinism in action.

She survived so no Darwin Award chances here!
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    What a lemon. :cool:
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It annoys me when walking along the street and someone with their nose down stuck in their phone or whatever walks straight at me and I have to step round them, while they are completely oblivious of the near collision. In future I will deliberately collide with them and hope they drop their phone.>:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Phone falls: St Kilda tourist latest of many - video (girl falls 6m into sinkhole)
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently she was in the water for twenty minutes before the police rescued her.

Fair play to them, it would probably take me that long to stop laughing too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    "OMFG. Currently Falling Through Mid Air. Lolzzz!"
    I thought she would have posted an update like that. I wonder how many likes she would get for it? :D
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    She survived so no Darwin Award chances here!

General Darwinism does not have to fall within the "Darwin Awards" rules.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Apparently she was in the water for twenty minutes before the police rescued her.

Fair play to them, it would probably take me that long to stop laughing too.

My class said something similar - this was our news item of the day in registration this morning! I'll admit that I laughed but if anyone asks then I was showing it to them to warn them of the dangers of not concentrating when using your phone.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So funny...hope she uploaded some pics :)
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect this is only the tip of the iceberg. I have had pedestrians walk across the road in front of me totally engrossed in their smart phones and oblivious to my white van and its flattening capacity.
  • Options
    MarkiebMarkieb Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serves her right. She should have been constrating on her surronding and enjoying the scenery.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as bad as drivers who steer by their satnavs. "Ooh - I didn't realise it meant NEXT ROAD ON THE LEFT. Is that why I drove down the slipway into the sea?"
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    It annoys me when walking along the street and someone with their nose down stuck in their phone or whatever walks straight at me and I have to step round them, while they are completely oblivious of the near collision. In future I will deliberately collide with them and hope they drop their phone.>:(

Even worse is when you move to avoid them early as you see them coming and then they move over oblivious to you at the last moment and then TUT >:(>:(>:(
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't decide if this is proof of Darwinism or God.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennedyC wrote: »
    I suspect this is only the tip of the iceberg. I have had pedestrians walk across the road in front of me totally engrossed in their smart phones and oblivious to my white van and its flattening capacity.

:D I once saw a guy reading a newspaper while walking down a street and surprise surprise, tripped over a pram parked outside a shop. Thankfully, the pram was empty. The way he glared at the pram after he got up made it hilarious.