flybe travel confusion

bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,429
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just booked a flight with this airline, but I'm finding their check-in process and id requirements difficult to understand.

Now, I will be traveling with an EU ID card, as I've used with other airlines, but their website says this:

"
All passengers on international flights must be in possession of a valid passport and, where required, a valid visa. Citizens of the European Union, European Economic Area and Switzerland may travel within Europe on presentation of their valid National Identity Card."

So, is a passport essential or not? Elsewhere, the API advance passenger form only allows for a passport. There is also the suggestion that anyone without a passport can't use online check-in. (I do have a passport as well, but it inconveniently expires the day before I travel!)

Which brings me to another problem: what check-in have I selected? I don't remember selecting anything, while the confirmation email unhelpfully says: "if you have chosen automatic or on-line check-in..." without mentioning which!

And there appear to be half-a-dozen ways of checking-in (and the on-line check-in, or is it web check-in (what's the difference?) only opens 36 hours before departure). Has anyone been through the process before? (Fortunately I'm returning on easyJet -- if I can manage to fly out in the first place!)

Comments

• viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you use your reference number to log in and have a look at your specific flight details. The bit on the screen that would show up where you would then go on to click check in
  • x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never known any airline to let you travel without a passport unless it's within the same country. :confused: I regularly fly flybe to Leeds from Southampton on my driving license but needed a passport to go to Ireland!

I always check in at the airport for flybe, they're not the kind of airline that forces you to check in online or pay £60 to check in at the airport.

I'd call customer services just to be sure.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    I've just booked a flight with this airline, but I'm finding their check-in process and id requirements difficult to understand.

Now, I will be traveling with an EU ID card, as I've used with other airlines, but their website says this:

"
    All passengers on international flights must be in possession of a valid passport and, where required, a valid visa. Citizens of the European Union, European Economic Area and Switzerland may travel within Europe on presentation of their valid National Identity Card."

So, is a passport essential or not? Elsewhere, the API advance passenger form only allows for a passport. There is also the suggestion that anyone without a passport can't use online check-in. (I do have a passport as well, but it inconveniently expires the day before I travel!)

Which brings me to another problem: what check-in have I selected? I don't remember selecting anything, while the confirmation email unhelpfully says: "if you have chosen automatic or on-line check-in..." without mentioning which!

And there appear to be half-a-dozen ways of checking-in (and the on-line check-in, or is it web check-in (what's the difference?) only opens 36 hours before departure). Has anyone been through the process before? (Fortunately I'm returning on easyJet -- if I can manage to fly out in the first place!)

Aren't they the same thing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never known any airline to let you travel without a passport unless it's within the same country. :confused: I regularly fly flybe to Leeds from Southampton on my driving license but needed a passport to go to Ireland!

I always check in at the airport for flybe, they're not the kind of airline that forces you to check in online or pay £60 to check in at the airport.

I'd call customer services just to be sure.

No national ID cards are fine for travel within Europe (most EU countries have them), the UK don't have them, so UK citizens will need a passport to travel to Europe.
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    Where are you flying to and where from?

You will be allowed to use an EU ID card as stated on the website. I'm not sure why you're so confused. You have an EU ID card, the website states you can use that to travel. Provided the country you're flying to allows you to enter with that document although as far as I'm aware flyBE don't fly anywhere outside the EU so this shouldn't be a problem.

Online check in is the same as web check in. Neither of them are mandatory on flyBE, you can use a normal desk or self check in machine at the airport.

I'm fairly certain that even if you selected passport and put your ID card details in instead that nothing bad would happen. You'll be perfectly alright to just check in at the airport, like normal anyway.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    No national ID cards are fine for travel within Europe (most EU countries have them), the UK don't have them, so UK citizens will need a passport to travel to Europe.

They may be fine within the rules but not all airlines will accept that as good enough.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blofeld wrote: »
    Where are you flying to and where from?

You will be allowed to use an EU ID card as stated on the website. I'm not sure why you're so confused. You have an EU ID card, the website states you can use that to travel.

Because the website keeps saying everywhere that a passport is needed for international travel. Then, in some places, it contradicts itself by saying a ID card can be used. While the API form only allows passport data to be entered.

It is tempting to just put the ID card number in instead, but yet in the confirmation email, it says: "If you are travelling on documentation other than a passport you will need to provide Advance Passenger Information at the departure airport."

But further on in the email, it reiterates: "For all international flights valid passports are required." I wish they would make their mind up!

I'm flying MAN to Milan, with an Italian ID card. I will have to make these assumptions: (1) National ID cards are accepted (2) A passport isn't needed in that case (3) Those traveling with ID cards are obliged to use a check-in desk at the airport and can't use any other form of check-in. But why don't they state that in black and white?
    You'll be perfectly alright to just check in at the airport, like normal anyway.
    Normal these days is not to check in at the airport! Not unless you want a hefty fine. I will just have time to do that, but it will be tight.
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,440
    Forum Member
    I didn't think that travel within Europe was classed as international travel?

edit - sorry didn't see there was no mention of places. OP where are you travelling from/to?
    Forum Member
    can read - I would have though man to Milan wouldn't be classed as international
    Forum Member
    babinaba wrote: »
    can read - I would have though man to Milan wouldn't be classed as international

Why would a flight from the UK to Italy be anything other than International? :confused:

You will be 100% fine with an Italian ID card. You don't need a passport if you have a valid ID card, which you do, so stop worrying. FlyBE do not charge you to check in at the airport via a desk or a self service machine. Just make sure you turn up at least 45 minutes before departure time to ensure you have enough time to get to the gate. If you are so short of time then online check in is not going to save you anything more than around 30 seconds anyway. Checking in at the airport will take less than a minute.

With regards to travel document APD information, the website states that "If you are unable to complete the information on flybe.com, you can instead give it to us at an airport check-in kiosk (where available) or at the airport check-in desk on day of travel."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Any journey crossing UK borders would be international. Although travel to Ireland is a bit of grey area. As is travel between the Schengen countries (all of Western Europe except UK and Ireland according to the map), where passports aren't needed.
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Any journey crossing UK borders would be international. Although travel to Ireland is a bit of grey area. As is travel between the Schengen countries (all of Western Europe except UK and Ireland according to the map), where passports aren't needed.

They are still international journeys as you leave one sovereign state and enter another.

All Schengen does is abolish the need to show a passport and customs checks (although they can be reintroduced at any time for any reason the country sees fit). You're still crossing a border.

The Common Travel Area we have with the ROI is almost the same thing, it's like Schengen lite. You still need to carry any photo ID you have to prove you are allowed to enter either country without a visa. There are still minimal checks done when entering Ireland. I was subjected to a passport check once when going from Belfast to Dublin by bus in 2008. When you fly into the ROI you have to show your ID to an officer as well and if you have a passport which requires you to hold a visa it needs to be checked to ensure you have the right to enter Ireland. When you arrive into the UK from the ROI you have to clear customs, but not immigration, so not sure how they checked who has the right to enter the UK!

For the record, common visas for the UK and ROI are in discussions which, if approved, would effectively see an end to the Common Travel Area as it is today and make it more like Schengen where no one shows any ID at all to go between the countries.
    Forum Member
    Sorry, if it is then it is, I just thought it wasn't. Fair enough.

To me an international flight is outside the continent I'm currently in - so to America, Australia etc but I'm obviously wrong which I'm happy to be put right about :)
  • tom_domutoatom_domutoa Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    You will be fine with a Italian ID card......

If you dont have that...you will still be fine....

People travelling within Europe need to satisfy immigration that they are european and exercising freedom of movement

you can prove you are italian in many ways.

beleive me when i say that hundreds of people travel every day within europe across european borders without any id. They just satisfy the officers that they are european by providing as much detail as possible.

but let that not worry you. you have a valid ID
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me an international flight is outside the continent I'm currently in - so to America, Australia etc

That would be inter-continental. National = nationality = one country.

OP, it seems to me as if Flybe's wording is just a bit confusing on their website. I've never seen them to be like Ryanair, which as far as I know is the only airline that forces you to have a passport to fly, even domestically. Looks as if a European ID card will be fine.

I'd give yourself lots of time to check in though, especially if you have a bag to check in, as Flybe have introduced horrific self-service bag drop desks where you have to tag your own bag and then wait for one of the staff to operate the belt. It's horrendously slow and temperamental, and completely pointless.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, it seems to me as if Flybe's wording is just a bit confusing on their website. I've never seen them to be like Ryanair, which as far as I know is the only airline that forces you to have a passport to fly, even domestically.

Even Ryanair are fine with EU ID cards, last time I looked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, it seems to me as if Flybe's wording is just a bit confusing on their website. I've never seen them to be like Ryanair, which as far as I know is the only airline that forces you to have a passport to fly, even domestically.

That might be the case with British subjects, who don't have national ID cards. But for those who do, they fully support them, and allow them as an option for on-line check-in. So it was unexpected that flybe didn't support them as fully. (Although I'm slightly more worried about their aircraft now as I found out they might still use propellers!)
    I'd give yourself lots of time to check in though
    I need to do a school run by 9am, and my flight leaves at 11:45am. The airport carpark is 25 miles away, and there's a 15-minute shuttle bus. I didn't expect the schedule to suddenly become tight...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »

Ryanair are fine, I can't think of a carrier that doesn't allow you to travel with these cards, as long as the requirements for the country of origin are met.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »

I stand corrected, sorry. I've never had the misfortune to have to fly with them, but I knew they for some inexplicable reason don't accept driving licences on domestic flights, which every other airline does.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have family who are French nationals and they flew to and from Gatwick with Easyjet a while back using their French ID cards. I was with them at check-in when they presented them at Gatwick.