Options

iCloud help!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,139
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Help! So I was at a concert and wanted to record a video but my phone memory got full and I panicked and deleted pretty much all my photos.

I thought I'd be able to get them back from iCloud but I can't - can only restore the whole phone so would just lose the videos.

I tried restoring my ipad with my phone backup but found out the camera roll doesn't restore.

Is there any way I can get these photos back? I removed some music so my phone has enough memory now!

Comments

• Options
    daleski75daleski75 Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FairySnuff wrote: »
    Help! So I was at a concert and wanted to record a video but my phone memory got full and I panicked and deleted pretty much all my photos.

I thought I'd be able to get them back from iCloud but I can't - can only restore the whole phone so would just lose the videos.

I tried restoring my ipad with my phone backup but found out the camera roll doesn't restore.

Is there any way I can get these photos back? I removed some music so my phone has enough memory now!

Do you a mac if so they may be on iPhoto under photo stream.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why i dont trust iCloud.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

Or indeed any cloud based syncing mechanism - it is too easy to inadvertently propagate a self inflicted deletion. However, I must agree, iCloud is particularly bad, one of Apple's worse products. I use Dropbox extensively as I don't trust iCloud.
  • Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FairySnuff wrote: »

You could plug your iPhone into a computer, transfer the videos onto your computer and then restore the iCloud backup to retrieve the photos.
    tdenson wrote: »
    Or indeed any cloud based syncing mechanism - it is too easy to inadvertently propagate a self inflicted deletion. However, I must agree, iCloud is particularly bad, one of Apple's worse products. I use Dropbox extensively as I don't trust iCloud.

iCloud functions perfectly as it is intended too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apples is worse because it lacks transparency. With others you can download manually your "backed up" data, with apple you haven't a clue what is backed up or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apples is worse because it lacks transparency. With others you can download manually your "backed up" data, with apple you haven't a clue what is backed up or not.

If configured correctly iCloud will back up everything. Even down to the tabs you had opened in Safari at the time the backup is taken.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    If configured correctly iCloud will back up everything. Even down to the tabs you had opened in Safari at the time the backup is taken.

But you cant see what is backed up. That is BAD for any backup system, in fact the worst possible case for any backup solution is NOT being able to see what is backed up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you cant see what is backed up. That is BAD for any backup system, in fact the worst possible case for any backup solution is NOT being able to see what is backed up.

Everything is backed up from the point the backup last ran. You can toggle specific apps on/off using the Settings app. What is it specifically that you'd like to be able to see?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything is backed up from the point the backup last ran. You can toggle specific apps on/off using the Settings app. What is it specifically that you'd like to be able to see?

That's not true. Many people have lost stuff upgrading iOS, when everything is enabled on I cloud. Including myself before I ditched iOS.

My nightmare upgrade is on these forums if you look back.

If it just works try helping the op.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it just works try helping the op.

The OP is looking to do something that iCloud is not intended for. Remove a photo from the device and then restore the photo only. iCloud has never been about that, it's for backing up devices as a whole.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could plug your iPhone into a computer, transfer the videos onto your computer and then restore the iCloud backup to retrieve the photos.

iCloud functions perfectly as it is intended too.

I never dreamt I would get criticised on this forum for criticising Apple :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

I agree. Apple products are the world's worst at not explaining what is going on. They make the assumption that "it just works". When it doesn't, it is a nightmare.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You mean if you choose to ignore the warning that pops up on screen when you delete a photo to say that if you delete it you will delete it from all your devices?
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except when you're backing up to Crashplan, who keep backups of every deleted file ever (unless you tell them not to).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thedrewser wrote: »
    You mean if you choose to ignore the warning that pops up on screen when you delete a photo to say that if you delete it you will delete it from all your devices?

I did say I was talking generically about cloud based syncing mechanisms, not specifically how Apple handles photos. e.g. if you delete a file in Dropbox there is by definition no warning other than what the OS would normally do. So an example of what I referred to as "self inflicted" might be something like you are clearing off a laptop to give to someone else and you delete your home folder, forgetting that deleting your Dropbox folder structure will automatically delete it everywhere. I always like to have a copy of any synced structure completely outside of that mechanism. As it happens I copy my Dropbox to a Raid disk, that itself is backed up to the cloud with Backblaze. My experience of data failure over the years of helping friends & family is that self inflicted loss is more common than hardware/software failure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Except when you're backing up to Crashplan, who keep backups of every deleted file ever (unless you tell them not to).

Yes, but that's not a syncing mechanism. By design a syncing mechanism will lose things forever that you delete. As I have just pointed out in another post I do both (for Crashplan, substitute Backblaze).
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always been annoyed with the way one gets photos onto/from an iPhone. I've given up on all the Apple solutions and now just use Dropbox exclusively. It automatically uploads all my photos to Dropbox, and it's really, really easy to send the occasional photo back the other way. Just drop it into my Dropbox folder on my Mac, and hey presto.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iCloud matches iTunes in its planned user ignorance. Syncing can become a a right mess/pain , Windows Media player too as I'm sure many of you have learnt. 'Syncing' is partly about controlling the user.

Something truly external like a photo/music folder on a hard drive or via Dropbox is always preferable. In fact I wouldn't even trust Google drive for Android fully.

I suggest you try and email Apple support.